What's new

Poorly Designed Aftershave Bottle

I just purchased a large bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue. While I like the aftershave itself a lot, in my opinion the bottle is terribly designed and I can't figure out how to pour from it without aftershave just dribbling down the side of the bottle and getting wasted. It would help if it was a squeeze bottle or if the cylindrical top wasn't quite so long. Has anyone else noticed this? 7 oz bottle.

Reactions: Kix
I just purchased a large bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue. While I like the aftershave itself a lot, in my opinion the bottle is terribly designed and I can't figure out how to pour from it without aftershave just dribbling down the side of the bottle and getting wasted. It would help if it was a squeeze bottle or if the cylindrical top wasn't quite so long. Has anyone else noticed this? 7 oz bottle.

Welcome to B&B, Sir ShavingBlind!

FWIW, just love my Aqua Velva Ice Blue!!

noxzema omega gillette red tip aqua velva ice blue june 3 2022.jpg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I just purchased a large bottle of Aqua Velva Ice Blue. While I like the aftershave itself a lot, in my opinion the bottle is terribly designed and I can't figure out how to pour from it without aftershave just dribbling down the side of the bottle and getting wasted.

1. Put your finger over the opening in the bottle.

2. Invert bottle upside down while continuing to press finger over the hole.

3. Open up palm of opposite hand and cup palm.

4. Now slowly slide finger from hole to create just a small opening between finger and hole.

5. Dribble AV into opposite cupped hand.

6. Set bottle back down.

7. Rub hands together and splash and rub on face & neck.

8. Enjoy! :)

4. Now slowly slide finger from hole to create just a small opening between finger and hole.

6. Set bottle back down.

That's a great tip!

I transferred a bit of mine into a 2 or 3 ounce plastic flip out nozzle type bottle. You can use a tiny amount or squirt out whatever you want. It doesn't come gushing out, that's for sure.

6. Set bottle back down.

I typed out a similar reply yesterday, but didn't post it. 😃

That is EXACTLY how to do it.

Though full disclosure: I transferred mine to a vintage glass AV bottle.

that's only the second worst part of AV Ice Blue.

the fact that it comes in a plastic bottle is an atrocity to mankind. alcohol based aftershaves + plastic = bad and really unhealthy

Yeah, it's called repeat sales.

6. Set bottle back down.

That's exactly how I apply AS from my very first day of wet shaving, around 1981, impossible to remember exactly. No computers at home back then, no internet, no B&B to ask stupid simple questions. A "man" who shaves and don't know how to apply AS should give up and grow a beard.

Maybe sliced bread was invented because some people didn't figure how to use a knife to cut some bread. Electric toothbrushes were created because there are people too lazy to move their arms a lil' bit back and forth for a minute. I know guys in their thirties who either eat in town or what momma give to them (they're unmarried, of course). The most "cooking" they ever did was spreading some jam or Nutella on a slice of bread.

A final observation on the OkieStubble method: rubbing palms together is completely useless. It's some sort of a dogma perpetuated through decades. It does not serve any purpose. So...Once you poured/let drip the desired amount/drops of AS in your palm, apply directly to the face. And rub or massage your face with that Aftershave. That's the whole point, not rubbing your hands.

If someone will find what I said too harsh or abrasive - that's my intention. I'm the black sheep of this forum and I have to live up to my reputation.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
That's exactly how I apply AS from my very first day of wet shaving, around 1981, impossible to remember exactly. No computers at home back then, no internet, no B&B to ask stupid simple questions. A "man" who shaves and don't know how to apply AS should give up and grow a beard.

Maybe sliced bread was invented because some people didn't figure how to use a knife to cut some bread. Electric toothbrushes were created because there are people too lazy to move their arms a lil' bit back and forth for a minute. I know guys in their thirties who either eat in town or what momma give to them (they're unmarried, of course). The most "cooking" they ever did was spreading some jam or Nutella on a slice of bread.

I’ve heard many here over the years complain about the oversized hole in the aftershave bottles, but I have always put my finger over the holes on all my aftershave bottles. Even the vintage bottles with very small holes. It just always seemed to be the natural thing to do?

A final observation on the OkieStubble method: rubbing palms together is completely useless. It's some sort of a dogma perpetuated through decades. It does not serve any purpose. So...Once you poured/let drip the desired amount/drops of AS in your palm, apply directly to the face. And rub or massage your face with that Aftershave. That's the whole point, not rubbing your hands.

If someone will find what I said too harsh or abrasive - that's my intention. I'm the black sheep of this forum and I have to live up to my reputation.
I wouldn’t call it an “OkieStubble” method. There’s probably many guys doing it just like that, because it’s what would seem to most as more of a “ common sense” method? :)

There’s nothing you’re saying that seems harsh or abrasive to me? Does the tone of your post seem a bit “smart ellecky?? Sure, but most people’s skin is thicker then maybe what you are giving them credit for?

As far as you enjoying “being the black sheep?”

If that’s your way, then… Ok? :)

I think the "rubbing palms together" might come from hair products, where you rub them together to both emulsify(?) the product and spread it out over your hands for more even application. I've found that it works better the more solid the product is–and guess what most aftershaves aren't? (That is, solid or close to it.)

Top Bottom