What's new

Poor technique or should I consider a more aggressive razor and/or blade?

I am finding around the areas where my hair grows denser that I am regularly left with an annoying stubble still.

I use a Merkur 23C which is considered mild, but I still occasionally get razor burn with Astra Superior Platinum blades.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I am finding around the areas where my hair grows denser that I am regularly left with an annoying stubble still.

I use a Merkur 23C which is considered mild, but I still occasionally get razor burn with Astra Superior Platinum blades.

Any suggestions appreciated.
A more rigid razor. Razorock Tek II or Fatip/Schone.

A few suggestions that I suggest before considering another razor:
1. Check your razor angle.
2. Optimize your prep.
3. Assure that you have a good lather.
4. Work through a blade sampler pack or two.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want! :a14::a14:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A more rigid razor. Razorock Tek II or Fatip/Schone.

what-he-said-in-that-comment-up-there.jpg

Having hair left after 3 passes is definitely a sign of incorrect angle; razor burn though is a likely sign of too much pressure to counteract the subconscious idea that “I’m not getting close enough results”. Together I think in general it’s fine to stick with what you have and refine your technique. New razors and blade will not help too much if your technique needs adjustment.

2. Optimize your prep.

+1

If you are a steep shaver, other razors would probably suit you better.

I'm pretty much new wet shaver (been using DE razors for years, improperly, changed this recently)
I have dense growth on chin area. I use DE89 with Astra SP, it's only razor and blade I have. I also had same problem as you. With 3 pass shave I had to choose: Sandpaper feel without irritation, or BBS with irritation.
Once I improved technique I got BBS WITHOUT irritations.
So, do your prep properly, make sure you're holding razor at right angle, and last but most important, loose your hand when shaving, if you're all locked up, you won't have good shave, I learned this from last 2 shaves. Also speed is important, at least in my case for my dense growth. With faster stroking I managed to get BBS without irritations. If i try to do it slower, razor is more pulling than cutting hair.
Spend some time perfecting your shaving technique, once you learn how to properly shave, you won't even think about what you're doing when shaving.
Just to add one more thing. Stretch the skin when shaving denser growth, this helps a lot to spread out that growth area, but watch out not to nick yourself when doing this

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
2. Optimize your prep.

+2, @BigJ knows his stuff.

I have a similar issue. Around my trouble spots require more than three passes. I am still trying to get the angle correct around the curvature of my chin though. I am used to my cartridge heads pivoting in those spots. I guess I will need to keep practicing. My cheeks are clean after one or two passes but it is the area under my chin.

Keep the pressure to an absolute minimum, concentrate on finding the correct angle and maybe stretch your skin in the awkward areas and all will be right in the end. No razor will do the job for you, however good it is.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My cheeks are clean after one or two passes but it is the area under my chin.

Try adjusting angle and pressure. Shave with comfort in mind. Understand the direction of growth and shave into it accordingly.

Thanks folks. I will report back this coming Sunday when I have time off and get to actually enjoy a proper shave :)

Try adjusting angle and pressure. Shave with comfort in mind. Understand the direction of growth and shave into it accordingly.
The cheeks are relatively flat. The neck requires concentration because of the many angles. Remember to concentrate on the razor angle, little pressure and remember, it’s beard reduction.

And what the other guys said...

It’s a process. You’ll get there.

Top Bottom