What's new

Poor sense of smell!

I have a poor sense of smell and over the years have tried various scented soaps and cream which shavers rave about. However, they are list on me. Nowadays, I buy soaps and creams purely on how they perform and to be honest, seems I might as well stick to the same ones. Am I lucky or unlucky? At least I don't need to buy the latest soaps fashionable by their scents!

You are on to something IMO! :thumbup: :thumbup:

My sense of smell is just fine. However, I purchase soaps based on performance first: how easy to lather, slickness, glide, cushion, etc. For me, scent is secondary! Some of my favorite soaps smell like ‘soap’ or have mild, very fleeting scents, for example MWF, La Toja, Haslinger, etc.

Other guys go for scent first. That’s perfectly OK with me.

I have a poor sense of smell and over the years have tried various scented soaps and cream which shavers rave about. However, they are list on me. Nowadays, I buy soaps and creams purely on how they perform and to be honest, seems I might as well stick to the same ones. Am I lucky or unlucky? At least I don't need to buy the latest soaps fashionable by their scents!

So you can’t smell them at all or they’re just faint? I’m currently using an unscented cream which is a top notch performer, but admittedly i’m getting bored with no scent now that i’m about 80% done with it.

Most of the artisan soap makers are so good that I focus on scent first. I just don't feel there's a huge drop off in performance from one to another.

I have only had a few poor performing soaps over the years. I count myself as fortunate. Scent is one of the first things I go for.

Performance is the main thing. As long as the scent is enjoyable, I'm fine with it. That certainly makes it easier to avoid Soap Acquisition Disorder.

I would say they are both of upmost importance to me. I won't use a soap that I don't care for the smell of, regardless of how it performs. Likewise, I won't use a soap that doesn't perform, regardless of how great it smells.

If I couldn't smell anything, performance would be my only concern.

Well, I don't know if you're lucky or unlucky not being able to smell much but I can guarantee your wallet is lucky not getting caught up in trying a bunch of different shaving soap scents.

It would have been so much simpler if I had just tried a single offering from each soap maker but no I had to go and buy multiple scents from some of them. Now I've got a soapocalypse on my hands and don't know what to do with all of them.

Just out of curiosity, does your lack of smell impact your ability to taste food? If so, I'd say you caught an unlucky break on that one.

Unfortunately my sense of smell continues to deteriorate with age. My choice of lathers is based almost completely on performance. It hasn't effected my sense of taste though, and definitely no my appetite.

Top Bottom