What's new

Poor quality of new Merkur Slant

Hi Fellas. Has anyone else found themselves disappointed in the quality of new Merkur Slants? I just received a new 37c this week and was really amazed at how shoddy it looked. I haven't purchased a new Merkur for about 6 years. I have a "heavy duty" long handle and a progress. Both have much better chrome and finish and the knurling on my 38c is much better. The chrome on the slant is not very smooth except for the very top of the head with is nicely polished. The edges of the head have lines in them and the metal looks really cheap. The knurling is there but almost as an afterthought. It still cuts nicely, but it sure seems quality is down. Anyone else feel this way?

Sounds as if you got a bad one that you ought to consider returning/exchanging. Merkur's QC issues have been written about here at B&B extensively. I have 3 Merkurs, including a Sledgehammer, and all 3 are perfect. I just consider myself lucky.

I have a newer 37c and I too have found the finish to be questionable at best. Mine has a lot of leftover material in between the teeth on the guard bar, it looks like it is left from the casting and never cleaned up. It's too bad because it is a very nice razor other wise.

Justin

Hi Fellas. Has anyone else found themselves disappointed in the quality of new Merkur Slants? I just received a new 37c this week and was really amazed at how shoddy it looked. I haven't purchased a new Merkur for about 6 years. I have a "heavy duty" long handle and a progress. Both have much better chrome and finish and the knurling on my 38c is much better. The chrome on the slant is not very smooth except for the very top of the head with is nicely polished. The edges of the head have lines in them and the metal looks really cheap. The knurling is there but almost as an afterthought. It still cuts nicely, but it sure seems quality is down. Anyone else feel this way?
Contact Merkur Customer Service and let them know your concerns.
You never know, they might help you.

In any case, keep us posted.
Also, some pictures would help. Close up are better.

I own a 37C and it's fine, but yes there's a lot of postings regarding fit and finish. Problem is some out of the box are good, other times the QC was gone before they boxed the razor. :001_rolle

I've owned a Futur, a Progress, and a 37c and used each of them for from several months to a year. I've been disappointed in all three: the Futur on poor manufacturing quality and the Progress and 37c just because they didn't live up to expectations. The Progress is a thing of beauty and I keep it around, unused, just for that. I've gotten the tricks down on all of them and get a good shave, but I keep coming back to my old reliables: a British Gillette #66 and a Red Tip because for me, they just leave Merkurs in the dust. That said, if I've learned anything in 50+ years of shaving and a few years hanging around this forum, its that shaving is a combination of razor, blade, shaving soap, technique and your face and what works for me might not for others, and vice versa.

Just got a 39c for Xmas. Read a bunch of reviews and went with it. This, for me, is awesome. Just had to be careful around the throat area but the finish is fantastic and virtually no effort needed.

My second Merkur and both are great. Send yours back. You may have gotten one made at 4:59pm on a Friday!

Don't get me started on the quality of Merkur razors recently, i have purchased some previously and based on my experience with their quality control will never buy another Merkur ,is a shame as they seem to have good ideas just poorly executed, I hope they resolve the issue for you

They aren't made like they used to be.
I have a 37c and while I love the shave it gives, it's construction leaves something to be desired.

yes i question every merkur i see recently. imo the finish quality and plating on them usually stinks. i dont own any merkurs anymore. i have either given away or sold them all off. after having 2 that had small pieces of plating pop off (one right out of the box as i was looking at it when i touched the one corner, the other after only about 2 weeks) im done. the only thing i think i want to get is a progress but its a shame because their razors do shave nice.

I was more than disappointed with the quality of my Merkur Progress purchased last month. There were rough spots in the plating and the blade does not sit properly unless you guide it while tightening. I will not be purchasing any more of their products.

It's a shame really. If you could combine the Merkur range with the QC of Edwin Jagger you'd have a fantastic choice of great razors.

I bought one in November and the quality is fine. I will be the first to admit that the chrome job os not on par with my DE-89L , but it has none of the issues that some of the members have posted in this thread.

Sounds like the quality control is inconsistent and that you might want to send it back.

Sorry you got a lemon and hope you are able to get it resolved.

I ordered a Merkur razor and the finish of that razor was very poor. There were deep scatches and the chrome plating was damaged right out of the box.

I was in contact with Dovo and their general manager i got an answer from said that that quality is normal.

I shipped the razor back to the vendor and ordered one from another vendor but emailed him to pick me one up in good quality from his stock.

Then something happened that I didn't expect: He send me my money back and said that he cannot sell me a Merkur in good quality. He said that he is not satisfied with the quality on their razors anymore, too. Dovo always stated that the razors are flawless although these are not. Anybody who owns vintage Merkurs knows that the quality was better in earlier days.

It was a while back and today the vendor doesn't sell Merkurs anymore, but other razors.

I suspect Dovo/Merkur will be in business for only a few years. The way they act they will shoot theirselves right out of the market if they push their poor quality razors in the marked and have that poor customer service, because there are so many Merkur-clones out there and in better quality than the original Merkurs. The chinese Merkur Futur clone is only one example, there are also many other examples.

Top Bottom