What's new

Poor Man's Methodshaving?

I am really fascinated with methodshaving and it's ability to load the brush up with maximun water.
Is there a way to do this cheaply - or without a cube, or is that just a part of what makes methodshaving work?
And with my own brush and creams?
And my own aftershave?
And maybe some kind of moisturizer stuff from walmart?
Or am I just wishful thinking?
I am not trying to avoid spending money with certain people - I just think the idea is good and wishes there was a way to mix it with the rest of wetshaving instead of being somewhat proprietary.
It's like it is an Apple computer and I have a PC.
-phil

giraffejumper said:
I am really fascinated with methodshaving and it's ability to load the brush up with maximun water.
Is there a way to do this cheaply - or without a cube, or is that just a part of what makes methodshaving work?
And with my own brush and creams?
And my own aftershave?
And maybe some kind of moisturizer stuff from walmart?
Or am I just wishful thinking?
I am not trying to avoid spending money with certain people - I just think the idea is good and wishes there was a way to mix it with the rest of wetshaving instead of being somewhat proprietary.
It's like it is an Apple computer and I have a PC.
-phil

I feel you could indeed methodshave "on the cheap"

Insead of Cube, you could use a pure olive oil soap, such as the one Kiss My Face produces. Your own brushes and creams would surely work, and as for aftershave and moisturizer....yeah, why not. Give it a go and let us know how it works.

Depends how you want to define methodshaving. Methodshaving is not just about the ability to load the brush up with maximun water. I haven't tried to duplicate the cube with KMF olive oil soap but I do have both. I doubt it would be as effective.

-Collin

collinarose said:
Depends how you want to define methodshaving. Methodshaving is not just about the ability to load the brush up with maximun water. I haven't tried to duplicate the cube with KMF olive oil soap but I do have both. I doubt it would be as effective.

-Collin

Collin,

Since you have both 'The Cube' and 'KMF OO Soap', would you be so kind as to post a comparison/review of the two. Many of us have wondered how the two actually compare when it comes right down to performance.

T

Tye

I've tried both the Cube and KMF Olive Oil Soap. The OO soap, while slick like the cube dries out a lot faster (in my case anyway). When I finished usung the OO soap my skin felt very tight, after using the Cube my skin feels smooth and comfortable with none of the tightness I got with the KMF OO. Also, the Cube seems to lather easier than the KMF. I can get a lot of lather in a short period of time with the Cube, I had to work the KMF bar quite a bit to get the same amount. I hope this helps.

-Tye

Tye said:
I've tried both the Cube and KMF Olive Oil Soap. The OO soap, while slick like the cube dries out a lot faster (in my case anyway). When I finished usung the OO soap my skin felt very tight, after using the Cube my skin feels smooth and comfortable with none of the tightness I got with the KMF OO. Also, the Cube seems to lather easier than the KMF. I can get a lot of lather in a short period of time with the Cube, I had to work the KMF bar quite a bit to get the same amount. I hope this helps.

-Tye

Whislt you have been experimenting with the cube, I don't suppose you came across a way to mask the odour did you? The last cube I received seemed to smell even worse than usual.

T

Tye

Either my nose doesn't work or my Cube didn't smell, but I hardly noticed any odor at all. I did get a Cube that was cut into thirds. Maybe that helped.

-Tye

Ron,

While I haven't actually shaved with it, from using the KMF soap as a soap, I'd say Tye's review is correct. I think Kyle did a similar comparison if you do a search for his posts. From using both the Cube and KMF as shower soaps though, I can tell a difference.

-Collin

Tye said:

-Tye

I am not a method-shaver, but I've tried "priming" my brush with KMF olive oil soap and I find that it can help produce a slicker lather with my Taylor's creams (though only marginally - however the soap scent overpowers most of the Taylor's creams I've tried). I find the KMF soap to be easy to lather (especially if it is wet)... my suggestion, try it. A bar of KMF soap is very inexpensive and, IMHO, it is worth playing with... if it doesn't work for you, well, you'll still have some great (but moderately smelly, IMO) soap with which to wash.

Thank You nmmb.
I'll have to try this olive oil soap.
I think that is what palmolive used to brag about being so good about their shaving cream.
Is it hard to find?
I have been interested in the idea of methodshaving since I heard about it.
But until I can get up some funds - I wanted to try "pseudo" method shaving to get the idea of it.
thanks,
-phil

I've substituted the cube with Savon de Marseilles olive oil soap and did not notice a dramatic difference between the two. The cube was mildly better, but had I stuck with method shaving, I would would have continued on with the Savon de Marseilles.

I picked up a small bar of KMF last night and tried this thing out this morning for the first time. I haven't used CAR's Method yet, though I intend to at some point, so I can't reall compare the two. My goal was just to see if there was a noticable difference in using OO with one of my existing creams.

For this experiment I wanted something I could notice a result with. A cream that I like, but don't get greatest shave out of compared to others plus something with a neutral scent so I don't get some wierd aroma combo going. The choice was obvious with T&H Ultimate Comfort.

I soaked the brush and KMF soap in hot water for a few min and proceeded to prime my brush up. Got it nice and soapy and then went into my mug and started lathering with the T&H. I had to add a touch of water as the lather was pretty thick, not a problem. I don't get the whole lather in the hand thing the Method calls for, I guess I'll save that when I get the real cube and all the goodies that go with it. For the hardware, I went safe and chose the razor that I know best, Merkur long handle. I usually go with Merkur blades as Feathers tend to be a bit "scratchy" on my face, but figured a Feather would be a good try for this test.

The end result... :w00t:

This combo works! The blade glided smoothly over my face with no irritation at all. Not a single nick, even in the usual trouble spots on the left side of my neck. I went through my usual three pass routine with nice smooth strokes, even against the grain was noticably smoother. I can't find the slightest bit of stubble on my face as I type this. Unfortunately I can't say how well this compares to the cube, but I can say that the result was very worth the $1.50 I paid for the KMF soap.

I found some KissMyFace soap yesterday at the hippie store. (no offense to any hippies on the forum)
I also found a non scented bar of pure glycerin.
So I tried the "priming" technique with both and actually got better results with the glycerin.
Aren't most shave creams/soaps mostly glycerin anyway?
Anyway - the olive oil soap lathered up nicely and was so slick on my fingers from the soap that it was hard to wash off. However - it wasn't this slick on my face, at least for the razor. I am now wondering if I didn't add enough water to the mix to make it slick like on my hand.
Also - Once you put the cream in the breach and close it - should you add some water before making the lather in your hand?
And I was reading about using the cube/kmf to mix the cream lather (taylor,palmolive,proraso,etc).
Would that not just cover the cube with the lather that is supposed to go on your face?
I am really thinking about making a trip to Austin to learn this and then mess with the "poor man's method" when I understand more of what I am doing.
And yes - I am not even trying to use the "method" yet. I was just hoping that the kmf bar would add some kind of boost to my regular creams - but I really couldn't tell. Any suggestions?
-phil

OK - I have figured that the cube is somewhat equivalent to kmf olive oil soap.
What about the "hydrolast"?
What about the "cutting balm"?
What are their (cheaper and can find at nature stores) equivalents?
I'll find this stuff at the "nature/health food store" and finally have my poor man's method shaving.
Then I have to learn what exactly it is and how to do it!
-phil

The cutting balm, I think, is for touching up the really difficult ridges and other areas that require blade buffing. Shaver's Secret works pretty well for me for that. But I have no idea if it is comparable to the cutting balm at all.

You might want to check out one of the local middle eastern markets, as well. I found a bag of large olive oil soaps (looked a lot like the cube) apparently made in Syria or somewhere like that, they do smell odd (perhaps the same as the cube? I haven't tried the "cube" so I'm not sure) but they work absolutely great. These things are huge, about half the size of a brick each, and the bag of several was dirt dirt cheap. (you've probably paid more for a tub of Taylor than I paid for the whole bag).
As for Shave Secret (available at WalMart)-I really like it, but not sure how it compares to Charles' cutting balm. I know some used to use jojoba oil, personally I like the shave secret.
Do report back on your progress,
John P.

Phil, I'll have to say that unfortunately, there is no "pseudo" method shaving. Yes, you can try using olive oil soap (KMF is not as good as the cube or a genuine savon de marseille) to prime your brush before a traditional cream or soap and that might help. You might also try using an olive oil based natural ingredient shaving soap or cream. I find that the products from Round Top Soap here in Texas create a similar lather. But neither of those things is Method Shaving and will not give you any idea what the real thing is all about. It's unfortunate that the Hydrolast products can be on the expensive side. To start out, just buy the Cube and some paste. I love the A/S conditioner and tonic combo also but they can be added later. Also, I have found that I can "get by" without the cutting balm, especially in the summer heat down here. But above all, just give Charles a call and if you are ever in Austin, go by his shop and have him teach you. Just be ready to set aside enough time. Seeing how the shave works really explains things better as the instructions in the products are sometimes contradictory and confusing. I think mantic is trying to put together a video segment on Method Shaving and I think there is also a segment on the B&B DVD but I haven't seen it. Hope this helps.

-Collin

Top Bottom