What's new

Poor mans collection

When RAD hit I had to focus my energy. After looking, drooling and lusting at some of the amazing collections here I knew that I could never have such a thing. But the joy of this hobby is these are everyday objects and can be found everywhere. So here is my poor mans collection.
I had a couple of goals in mind:
1.I wanted to reflect the history of Gillette. Really concerned with US
2. Not spend a lot. Spent a lot of time hunting for these in the wild. one or two from the bay, some from Etsy and a couple from BST. (the most spent was $44)
3.Razors I would/could use. So these are mostly user grade (this also helped with rule 2)

The Olds/ New Improved
$old-improv.jpg
New/Goodwills
$new=goodwills.jpg
Aristocrats/Sheraton
$arist-sheraton.jpg
Superspeeds
$1 superspeeds.jpg
Adjustables
$adjust.jpg

Now the question is what am I missing? I need a double ring but this will have to fall out of the sky. For some reason I feel like I need a Milord. I have a Ranger tech so I don't know if a Milord would add anything. I'm unsure if I need a Black handled SS. I also want to pick up a Trac 2.

You scored a Toggle for under 50dollars? Wow! Nice collection as well.
Don't hate me but I scored it for $1.50.
It was one of the first razors I bought and had no idea what it was till I checked it out on this forum and couldn't believe what I had found.

It was one of the first razors I bought and had no idea what it was till I checked it out on this forum and couldn't believe what I had found.

Holy moly! $1.50 What a score!

Nice collection so far. I'd like to get a couple of New's and then I'm probably done until after my next deployment.

I hate you. My Toggle is in better condition, but I paid more than 100x more than you!

The more important question: what are you missing?

Nothing. You have every major category covered. Even Mr. Razor has gaps in his collection.

If you add more, buy razors that have meaning (birth year/quarter) or strike your fancy.

Very nice collection!

Very nice representation and a good assortment of types and styles.

there is nothing wrong with user grade razors as long as the function like new, what they "look like" is not consequential

Very nice collection! This appears to be one that is realistic in working to acquire without hocking a body part to finance it yet still touching each Gillette design and style. Hope I can get some of the more sought after and harder to get ones for a decent price like you did.

Schick Krona?

You know I thought of that. I think I passed one up a while ago for a couple bucks :(

It os encouraging to hear the pros here that what i have reflects the history of Gillette. I think I would like to find a goodwill with the studs through the cap (cool factor) plus it would be an old style New. Then maybe a few British razors if the price is right. I may upgrade some as well when one comes along (the red tip head is great but a lot of brassing on the handle). Maybe try to find some cases (the slim is my birth/quarter razor, I would like to case it)

I just wanted to encourage anyone who thought of grabbing some of these. This isn't a rich mans sport. Most of what I have I paid less than $15 for.

That Toggle may put you in the top 10 deals of the year!! Congrats on your collection and the Toggle score.

That is one of the great things about this hobby, you define the path and set out on your journey.

Again congrats!!

BTW: Don't give up on that Double Ring if you want one. I know of a fellow that picked one up for $2.37....

Top Bottom