What's new

Poor eye

Hey guys, I picked up the old W&B on ebay for $15. Was it a good find? I don't yet have a great eye for issues with vintage razors. Can anyone offer an opinion or lend an experienced eye and tell me if I wasted my money? From what I can gather (and please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning) it has a little bit of uneven hone wear on the heel end of the spine and obvious rescaling needed. I'm sorry I couldn't get a good picture of the bevel, though it seemed pretty straight, but could probably use resetting. I'm sending it off to a buddy of Larry's from whipped dog (George razor builder listed on larry's site) to have the blade refurbed, rehoned, Possibly new bevel set (is that a deal breaker?), and rescaled in buffalo horn. I figure the old W&B deserved to go out on good scales.

That's about all I could gather. Please offer your opinions. Thanks guys, take a gander. :thumbup1:
$w&b1.jpg$w&b2.jpg$w&b3.jpg$w&b4.jpg$w&b5.jpg

Last edited:
The break is clean enough that you could fix it with super glue and if you polish the cut well enough it should almost disappear.
The razor would be functional.
The blade looks fine. It could be more shiny, but there is nothing deep and hard to get.
You could try the simple fix and clean up, get it honed and try it.

Looks good to me. Looks like you made a good deal. Now you just have to get it cleaned up and rescaled

you stole it.

I personally like the patina on it and would have left it. and I would have likely CA's the scale back onto the wedge, honed it, and called it a day, assuming the pivot pin is still tight and there's no other issues with it.

but it's your blade, so you do what you want with it. and enjoy it when you get it back.

you stole it.

I personally like the patina on it and would have left it. and I would have likely CA's the scale back onto the wedge, honed it, and called it a day, assuming the pivot pin is still tight and there's no other issues with it.

but it's your blade, so you do what you want with it. and enjoy it when you get it back.

I agree ...you are a razor thief sir. It sounds like you have no desire to do the work yourself but the job wouldn't be a terrible one if you did. I think you got a wonderful razor in the making and have paid more for worse (only because I figured I could do the restore myself).

W&B made good razors, and this one has some nice looking etching on the steel. The steel looks like it is in good shape. I think you'll be happy with it!

Thanks all! I'm happy to have heard from the voices of experience. Your comments were all very appreciated. I'll make sure to post pictures and how it shaves when it comes back. But does anyone know what the "No. 150" on the blade is for? Part of a limited run of some type? If so, what do you think is particular about the run? Is there anyway I can find that out?

@CBLindsay - I love doing work myself! But unfortunately, I am not naive to the fact that I am a painfully obvious beginner and didn't want to mess up a potentially great blade with my newbie hands. I was scared that I would ruin it with my inexperience. So I'm paying up with a heavy hand to someone who know's what their doing so that I know it was done correctly. I'll reserve honing my honing skills on a cheaper blade of no consequence. This blade deserved to be pampered, IMHO.
@KW Driver - +1. I love the patina on it as well. And while discussing refurb with George and Larry, I asked that they take care with the etching as to not take any off. I even gave the go ahead to clean up around the blade markings but leave the reading material untouched (provided it had no longevity issues such as rust or pitting). So you and I are almost on the same page. I like your style. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Someone may have better info but the numbers in the blade generally refer to a series of manufacturer. It's more of a way to describe a size and shape than to indicate a special serial number. You will see some brands stamp a number on the tail for the same purpose. 150 probably indicates a date range of production too.

Here it is! It's been to Canada for refurbing and custom blonde buffalo horn scales, and then to whipped dog for honing, and it is on it's way back to me. Larry at WD was nice enough to send me a single picture once he received it. I have to admit, I hate that I saw it in the picture because I was really looking forward to seeing it in the mail for the first time. But oh well, the picture still leaves much to be desired. So here's a sneak peak of the W&B -
$W&But.jpg

Sorry, that was just a sneak peak that didn't do it justice. I got it home and did a little photo shoot and got a few good ones!! Here is the brought back to life W&B with all credit to Larry and George at whipped dog.
$FullSizeRender.jpg$FullSizeRender-2.jpg$FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Top Bottom