What's new

Pondering.

I have been wetshaving for about 4 years. I started with an Edwin Jagger de89 and a tweezerman brush. For the past two years I have used Proraso cream. I recently acquired a feather tto razor. I have always used derby blades. All of these are budget items I bought to make a light initial investment in case wetshaving was not for me. Thing is, even though I intended on upgrading at some point I never did. These products have served me well. I am still left wondering what else is out there though. Any suggestions?

If you get the shaves you want, then perhaps no. But there are definitely different face feels to be had in regards to razor geometry and weight, different shapes, sizes, and grades of brushes...plus straights are out there too.

First thought is grab a sampler pack of blades, particularly one that includes the likes of Astra SP, Feather, and Gillette Silver Blue. You'll get five-packs of each which is enough to see how they work for you. Derbies may be what you stick with, but you won't know until you try others.

You could upgrade the brush easily as well. A great boar brush doesn't go above $20, and once they're broken in they're soft but still have backbone. Check out Semogue or Omega boar brushes. If you want to get a good badger brush you'll spend a bit more, but it could be worth it to find out what the badger experience is all about (and you can ask over on the Brushes forum for suggestions). Oh, last but not least, the L'Occitane Cade synthetic brush is really good and only $30.

You've also got a whole world of creams and soaps to explore. A few sites like Maggard Razors sell sample packs, which can help. Plenty of really good soaps and creams aren't expensive, so you'll have a lot of options there if you're wanting to change up from the Proraso.

Enjoy!

If you're happy with the results you're getting then throwing money chasing other shaving products will be fun but superfluous. That's the long and the short of it.

If you are happy, no need to move. If you want to stroll around, the possibilities in razors, brushes, blades, soaps, creams, aftershaves are almost infinite. Do some research and find what looks good to you.

Took me 9 months to find my set up and havent changed much of anything.. if it works hey you're golden.. if you curious then doesnt hurt to try out and see if you find a new "golden goose"

Joshua,

There is a plethora of razors, blades, soaps and aftershaves waiting to be explored. I would gradually expand your horizons inexpensively, by buying some Williams shaving soap, perhaps another razor or two in the order of a vintage Gillette Tech, Lord L6 (both are very inexpensive, and always on ebay). You have yet to experience the full enjoyment of wet shaving just waiting for you.

If you're happy with the results you're getting then throwing money chasing other shaving products will be fun but superfluous. That's the long and the short of it.

+1 Don't go down that rabbit hole. Once you start, it is VERY hard to stop, and it will eat up your bank account.

I have been wetshaving for about 4 years. I started with an Edwin Jagger de89 and a tweezerman brush. For the past two years I have used Proraso cream. I recently acquired a feather tto razor. I have always used derby blades. All of these are budget items I bought to make a light initial investment in case wetshaving was not for me. Thing is, even though I intended on upgrading at some point I never did. These products have served me well. I am still left wondering what else is out there though. Any suggestions?

The Feather TTO is a good razor, despite the low price. The only razors I use are the Feather, and a Schick Krona.

Blades are cheap, and it is fun to experiment. You also might want to try some new soaps and creams. Or aftershaves.

However .....

90% of my shaves are with a Schick Krona, and a Feather blade. I do not feel that different hardware would give me a more satisfying shave. OTOH, using different soaps and aftershaves is fun for me.

So if I would change something, it would not be the razor. At least not now.

Go to the control panel. Select History. Delete all from the beginning of time. Visit a hypnotist. Delete your memory of this place. You won't thank me as you'll have no recollection of ever having been here.

Assuming you'll not take my advice, Eeyore's suggestions are spot on.

I must say Im very impressed at your ability to stay with your budget setup. Especially for being a member here for some time, its very surprising you have not had to buy yourself shaving goodies in the dozens due to people here always suggesting different razors, brushes, and them showing off there recent acquisitions day after day. I was only spending $50 here, $50 there, but soon as I became a member here, I started dropping $100+ for one brush, $125+ for one razor, and it only got worse. It took me some time to calm down and after I found a razor that shaved me perfectly, I eventually started reducing my razor hoard. I now use pretty much the same razor daily, though I still rotate through blades and still try different creams/soaps often too. One suggestion I personally would recommend, would be trying a Merkur Progress. This razor has made me very happy, and has virtually replaced and reduced all my razors because of it. Ive said before I look at the Progress equaling a box full of razors. Any shave you want, you got it with the twist of the knob. If the glitz and glamour does not appeal to you that much and your shaves are great now, you may find after some new purchases that you had it right in the first place. If you like to collect razors, it turns into a obsession pretty quick. There is plenty of choices at your fingertips, search around, if anything appeals to you, Id say go for it. Good luck, and enjoy your future shaves.

Aah. A man on a budget. I have been wet shaving for years now and am budget minded too. I've used Derby blades since the beginning . 100 for under $10.00 and I really like how they perform. I get a week out of a blade. I use RS Realshave cream. It's made in England by a company that makes the real expensive stuff. I get it at Rite Aid for around $5.00 a tube, sometimes less when it's on sale. I will use it till it becomes no longer available... Great stuff. I should also tell you at this point that I mix 4 drops of glycerine in with it. I get that at CVS for around $6.00. A bottle lasts maybe a year. Finally, for prep, I use Shave Secret. Its a shave oil and kinda smells like cloves. I get it at WalMart in the shaving section for $3-4.00. I use about 4 drops into my palm and rub it onto a wet face. After I shave I also use RazorRock alum. Anybody selling shaving supplies on line has it. Great stuff too!
I'll be saving some on the blades now that I have ventured into the world of straight razor shaving but thats ok.. The challenge is worth it.
Hope this helps

Pete <:-}

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You will never know what you like until you try some things, but do you really want to go down that road?

Derby blades are too dull for me, but they obviously suit you. Blades are cheap and it couldn't hurt to try a few.

Razor is fine.

Proraso is a fine product. Cream.soap is not cheap and this might be a place to avoid like the plague.

Good Lord, buy a brush! If you give some specifics of what you like: face lather, bowl, big,small, soft tips, etc - you will get excellent suggestions for a boar that will not break the bank.

Top Bottom