What's new

Pomegranite

Does anyone know what to do with one of these? I hear about how good they are all year and only see them in the store for a short while. So we bought one.

Now what?

you can press the pulp for the juice, which i hear is very high in antioxidants...

or you can boil the rind and fight off that tapeworm.:a53:

When we were kids, my father used to buy them, then make us take off our shirts, and set us up at a card table separate from everyone so the juice didn't stain everything. Beware of getting it on yourself - it won't come off.

Cut it in half and pull out the seed clusters. Then you can chew on the seeds. Some people swallow them, some don't. Or you can juice them, as mentioned. They are tart and delicious.

robofunk said:
you can press the pulp for the juice, which i hear is very high in antioxidants...

or you can boil the rind and fight off that tapeworm.:a53:

Tapeworm? I do need to lose a little weight!!

10 cups torn spinach leaves
1 medium avocado, pitted, pealed, and thinly sliced
Seeds of 1 pomegranate
1 cup Warm Champagne Vinegar Dressing

1. Place the spinach leave in a large salad bowl and arrange the avocado slices in a circle around the edge of the salad. Place the pomegranate seeds in the center of the salad.
  2. Make the warm dressing.
  3. Pour 1 cup of the dressing over the salad at the table, toss, and divide between salad plates.
Serves 8

Warm Champagne Vinegar Dressing:

1 cup Champagne vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dry vermouth
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream
2 cups olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

1. Combine the vinegar, sugar, flour, vermouth, and mustard in a small saucepan. Heat to simmering over medium heat.
  2. Gradually whisk in the egg and cream over low heat. Whisk in the oil in a thin steady stream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat.

Enjoy

Scotto said:
When we were kids, my father used to buy them, then make us take off our shirts, and set us up at a card table separate from everyone so the juice didn't stain everything. Beware of getting it on yourself - it won't come off.
Ditto (almost). My mom used to send us outside to eat pomegranates. Chew the good stuff off the seed, and then spit the remainder into the bushes.

Now on occasion I'll get the pomegranate juice, and mix it with something, usually diet 7-up.

-Nick

Nick said:
Ditto (almost). My mom used to send us outside to eat pomegranates. Chew the good stuff off the seed, and then spit the remainder into the bushes.

Now on occasion I'll get the pomegranate juice, and mix it with something, usually diet 7-up.

-Nick
Ditto! Funny, when I first read your post I read, "My Worm used to send us outside..." My Gawd man! That was frightening..:scared: The seeds are fun to chew on and with which to have seed spitting contests.

Thanks ya'll for your suggestions. I have made two conclusions after tearing open one of these delicious fruits:

1) Too expensive and too much work for too little juice and seeds.

2) Pomegranite juice is bottled and sold cheaper and easier than doing it myself.

guenron said:
Funny, when I first read your post I read, "My Worm used to send us outside..." My Gawd man! That was frightening..:scared:

You know what they say: When nature calls... :biggrin:

-Nick

When I was a kid in SoCal, the egg ranch down the street had a Pomegranate tree by their front gate. My friends & I (around 8-10 years old) decided to have a fight with some freshly picked from the tree. They stain clothes and it never washes out. None of our parents would allow us to bring any of them home. We found out later that you could eat the seeds inside, but beware of the white material surrounding the seeds - it;s nasty bitter.
I haven't had a pomegranate for over 50 years,

If you eat six seeds you will have to spend 6 months in the underworld. But in all seriousness, I find it delicious and have always swallowed the seeds.

Best way to separate the seeds from the peel and the pith: cut in half and then tackle each half in a big bowl of water. Makes a fussy task very easy. Seeds great in salad or on their own. I chew and swallow. Love them.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We always bring home a couple around Christmas. It's a fun, seasonal treat.

They are actually very easy to deseed if you know how to do it. The fruit has indentions around it that run from "pole-to-pole." That's where the thick pith is. Score along those indentions (and maybe a little circle around the top and bottom) and then pull apart. The seeds come out pretty easily at that point. Use a spoon if you are concerned about staining your fingers.

Yes, it's a little bit of work, but I've had more trouble peeling an orange.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1655415591807.png

Top Bottom