What's new

Pomades Water Based / Light Hold / with Shine

Hello,

Looking for some wisdom:

I am looking for a water based(or washes out easily), light hold pomade with a little bit of shine and a non over the top smell. If things do have a scent I am into classic British/Italian barbershop scent type shaving products. Anything from ABC smells great to me and I like Almond, Coconut and other non perfumy smells.

I am currently finishing off two different ones:

1) Shiners Gold - smells ok (pina colada-ish)but is too heavy for me.

2) Layrite: Natural Matte Cream - About the right amount of hold but no shine and something about the smell just makes me avoid using it. I may bin this one as the scent thing is just over the top.

In the past I have also used Bumble & Bumble sumotech which seemed about perfect performance wise but I remember it being expensive $32 CAD for 42grams ($25 US for 1.5 oz) and I don’t remember it having a remarkable smell (which is ok).

Doing a bit of quick online shopping I found the following but am not sure if any of them are worthwhile and no idea what they smelled like.

Baxter : Cream Pomade
Diamond Barber : Remedy Wax
Mess of Blues : Medium Hold Cream Pomade

Are any of these worthwhile? What can you recommend?

Groom & Clean. Once it dries it won't be particularly shiny. It also only has a light hold. The scent is a barbershop wood spice.

I mix Vitalis or Jeris with Groom & Clean, and a little tonic does a great job at cutting the smell, which can be overpowering to some. I've come to like it though. For a little shine I've added Tres Flores Brilliantine Oil. Though the oil isn't water-based, I don't have any trouble washing it out with one round of shampoo because I only use a small palmful. The oil has a baby powder fragrance to my nose that shouldn't clash with anything and doesn't stick around.

I've heard great things about Royal Crown Hair Dressing, but have never used it. It's supposed to have a high shine and wash out pretty easily, though it's not water-based. It has a light to medium hold and a floral scent. It has a bit of a stronger smell than the Tres Flores Oil, at least just smelling it in the can. No idea how long it sticks around.

Tres Flores Molding Pomade might be worth looking into. Same with Dapper Dan. But I think you shouldn't write off oil based pomades like Black and White, Lockhart's Light, Don Bucho Brillantina, and Royal Crown. Some of those are old school light hold oil based pomades. The others are more modern ones.

I've recommended this many times: mix Groom & Clean with a brilliantine about 60/40 or so. Excellent shine and hold. It washes out pretty easy as the G&C is formulated to remove brilliantine and oils (hence the "clean").

Cary Grant used to do this with the products available in his day and it still works.

Chris

I've been a trying a bunch of independents lately and these guys have been great.
Depends what you mean by a bit of shine, but to me they are low shine.

Top Bottom