What's new

Pomade choice help

I have very thin unmanageable blond/dirty blonde hair and am looking for pomade suggestions. I have tried some of the big box store stuff and it just didn't do it for me.
I am not picky on sheen but want it to stay put for

Have you tried Loreal Overworked Hair Putty? It is a water based, medium hold, with a low natural shine. It is also sold under a generic CVS version too.

I've gone through probably 5 different pomades in the past couple of months.

Baxter of California hard water pomade was great, but tended to leave my hair feeling a bit greasy.

The BoC soft water pomade never really seemed to wash out right.

Axe shine pomade was crap.

I tried a couple of others that left my hair feeling greasy as well or were impossible to wash out.

I eventually tried Layrite, high hold low shine, love it. It's a bit pricy, but it's about the same as BoC and you get twice as much.

Depending on how dry my hair is when I apply the stuff, and how much I touch my hair, it either lasts all day, or kind of wears out, but I like how my hairs ends up at the end of the day.

I've got medium long fine hair, but a LOT of it. So I've been struggling.

I have very thin unmanageable blond/dirty blonde hair and am looking for pomade suggestions. I have tried some of the big box store stuff and it just didn't do it for me.

Scribble:
You may want to take a gander HERE, as one of these products might work for you, with full reviews

So I am a blonde thin haired gentleman as well! The products I use are a variety of Oil based pomades (Which holds way better) and Water-based pomades. I will give you some ideas of pomades to use from my experience. Reuzel red tin pomade, Imperial classic pomade, Knockout pomade. Now for us, with thin hair, its hard to control when the hair is short, so you may need to grow it out just a little more if it is not cooperating. This is just experience I have had being blonde with thin hair. Currently hair is maybe 6 inches long around and I throw it back when I am lazy, and part when I am having a good morning.

Profess that is exactly what I am dealing with. I will give those a shot. The ones being thoroughly reviewed sound great but just can't justify the 2-3 times the price.

If you want it to stay put spend $3 on a tin of Murray's. You should be able to find it at just about every drug store/grocery/target/walmart. Look for it in the ethnic section.

I have never really enjoyed Murray's, it is nearly impossible to get it out of my hair. For days when I need cheap pomade I just pick up axe paste. It is called "Messy Look".

I had the same problem starting out. I have thin dirty blonde hair too, and the cowlicks make it a pain to style right sometimes. Questions: Do you have short or long hair? Are you looking for a water based or oil based pomade?

Lockhart's Goon Grease is a good OB and Suavecito Firme Hold is a good WB. I use all sorts of combinations of WB and OB as a top coat. Other pomades that hold my hair well are Murray's Superior, Dax Wave and Groom, Uppercut Deluxe, Uppercut Monster Hold, Grant's Golden Brand Medium Hold, The Holy Black, Sweet Georgia Brown, etc.

Ultimately the combinations are endless, but after trying out a bunch of different pomades you will find what you like/don't like. Right now I'm using The Holy Black pomade with a little grooming spray as a top coat for extra hold and sheen.

Hope this helps!

Resurrecting a very old thread...

I was disappointed when Baxter discontinued Soft Water Pomade. I've been using it for three years straight. Clarification: it didn't have great hold (I applied to wet hair) but it was the best leave-in conditioner I've ever used. I had no trouble washing it out with just water the next morning. I thought it expensive, but a 2 oz jar would last me three months, so there is that.

I'm currently trying Suavacito. Stronger hold, less conditioning, a bit harder to wash out in the morning. Good scent, though. Muc less expensive than Baxter. I'll give some of these other water-based pomades a try. Thank you for the suggestions.

I have never really enjoyed Murray's, it is nearly impossible to get it out of my hair. For days when I need cheap pomade I just pick up axe paste. It is called "Messy Look".

When you have a shower, at the beginning work in about 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil into your hair.
Then shampoo as normal. The olive oil breaks down the pomade and it will wash out easily.

Resurrecting a very old thread...

I was disappointed when Baxter discontinued Soft Water Pomade. I've been using it for three years straight. Clarification: it didn't have great hold (I applied to wet hair) but it was the best leave-in conditioner I've ever used. I had no trouble washing it out with just water the next morning. I thought it expensive, but a 2 oz jar would last me three months, so there is that.

I'm currently trying Suavacito. Stronger hold, less conditioning, a bit harder to wash out in the morning. Good scent, though. Muc less expensive than Baxter. I'll give some of these other water-based pomades a try. Thank you for the suggestions.

Suavacito wasn't bad, but it doesn't condition as well as Baxter's Soft Water Pomade did (no real surprise...). I followed up with a recommendation from Baxter themselves to try their styling gel. Stronger hold, by quite a bit, than Suavacito, but it doesn't wash out with just water. It takes a while to build up, but it does build up. Still hoping for that perfect recommendation.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Reuzel and imperial barber are my two top brands. I’ve tried about a dozen water based brands. The downside is they can dry out over time. I don’t realize that when I was in but and try mode.

I ran out of Suavacito, so it was time to order some new stuff. For better or worse, I didn't see Rhody's post, so I ordered neither Reuzel nor Imperial Barber.

I have some Grant's Golden Brand Medium Blend. I used it last week. This stuff is really stiff in my fingers. I'm glad I put it in towel-dry hair rather than dry hair as recommended. I think it would pull my hair out. The light coconut scent is nice in the morning. Hold is decent, but I'm not after rock-solid hold. A bit of sheen, but not greasy or wet-look. Washes out easily with just water during my shower the next morning. Does a good job as a conditioner, too. It has a bit of castor oil, which I think was the secret ingredient in Baxter's Soft Water as well. At least that's my theory.

I also have a tin of Dapper Dan medium hold medium shine. Not nearly as still as Grant's. The citrus fragrance turns out to be grapefruit, which is fine until the finish which is acidic/ acrid. I don't like the smell of grapefruit. Hold and sheen appear, at least for the first three days, comparable to Grant's which is good. I think it conditions as well, and washes out as easily. One trick: if I use too much, and the line is narrow and easily crossed, it makes my hair feel sticky and clumpy.

If I decide I like Grant's better than Dapper Dan, it will be by a narrow margin and due to the scent and the fact that Dapper Dan can make my hair feel wrong if I don't use the right amount.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I ran out of Suavacito, so it was time to order some new stuff. For better or worse, I didn't see Rhody's post, so I ordered neither Reuzel nor Imperial Barber.

I have some Grant's Golden Brand Medium Blend. I used it last week. This stuff is really stiff in my fingers. I'm glad I put it in towel-dry hair rather than dry hair as recommended. I think it would pull my hair out. The light coconut scent is nice in the morning. Hold is decent, but I'm not after rock-solid hold. A bit of sheen, but not greasy or wet-look. Washes out easily with just water during my shower the next morning. Does a good job as a conditioner, too. It has a bit of castor oil, which I think was the secret ingredient in Baxter's Soft Water as well. At least that's my theory.

I also have a tin of Dapper Dan medium hold medium shine. Not nearly as still as Grant's. The citrus fragrance turns out to be grapefruit, which is fine until the finish which is acidic/ acrid. I don't like the smell of grapefruit. Hold and sheen appear, at least for the first three days, comparable to Grant's which is good. I think it conditions as well, and washes out as easily. One trick: if I use too much, and the line is narrow and easily crossed, it makes my hair feel sticky and clumpy.

If I decide I like Grant's better than Dapper Dan, it will be by a narrow margin and due to the scent and the fact that Dapper Dan can make my hair feel wrong if I don't use the right amount.
Great review thanks. I’ll have to try it. I usually put product in with wet hair. I hate that rough pull your hair out feeling. Some of my WSP hair balm has gotten dry. Is grants water based? Where did you get it?

I pulled out and used holy black pomade recently. It did not dry out after extended storage and is fabulous. I resisted the urge to buy another because I’m only at about 1/2.

Top Bottom