What's new

Polypropylene Scuttle vs Ceramic… which holds more Heat Longer?

I have just discovered scuttles and picked up a QShave a week or so ago. I was also interested in the PAA Crown King Travel Scuttle. I am a big fan of the Timeless Blue lather bowl and wondered if a Polypropylene “unbreakable” scuttle could get the job done. PAA was out when I inquired but they came in earlier this week and I got mine today (on a side note: I checked the webpage tonight and they are out again).

Before I get to the heat test I will say besides the construction material… the scuttles are a close match. The top of the inner bowl on each has a diameter of about 4 inches with the bottom of the inner bowl being at about 1.5 inches on the Q and 1 inch on the PAA. Both are about 2.25 inches deep and hold about 9 oz. of water in the lining section. Both have ridges on the bowl interior to assist with lather production.

They are both microwave and dishwasher safe. The PAA website states you can use boiling water in their scuttle (I think that may be overkill). I paid about 3 dollars more for the PAA scuttle but it came with an excellent sample of soap “Astro Traveler”, a microfiber travel pouch, and a neoprene scuttle glove.

My test methodology and equipment was well within the standards set for liberal arts majors who elect, on a whim, to run some kind of test. My hot tap water is only 127 degrees. I elected to microwave water up to 161 degrees, remove the stopper form each scuttle, and fill the Interior Lining (IL) with that water. I then poured the 127 degree tap water into the actual bowl.

Every few minutes I used a digital food thermometer to check the temperature of the Interior Lining (IL) water and the water in the bowl. I was surprised by the results.

Start: (Both) IL 161° Bowl 127°

1 Min: (QShave) IL 140° Bowl 130

(PAA) IL 141° Bowl 128°

3 Min: (QShave) IL 135° Bowl 130°

(PAA) IL 135° Bowl 130°

5 Min: (QShave) IL 133° Bowl 129°

(PAA) IL 130° Bowl 128°

7 Min: (QShave) IL 130° Bowl 127°

(PAA) IL 130° Bowl 126°

10 Min: (QShave) IL 125° Bowl 124°

(PAA) IL 125° Bowl 124°

The PAA Crown King Travel Scuttle definitely held its own in my book. The QShave lathers up fine and a test of the PAA yielded similar results. I will definitely travel with the PAA and, being a shower shaver, use it at home. I do wish the bottom of the PAA bowl was a bit wider but that is a minor grievance.

2019_Feb_01_7228_LR.JPG

There are two main reasons why I'm thinking about other solutions:
  • the PAA's scuttle bottom width;
  • the unavailability of the shatterproof scuttle, more so in EU.
I'll probably end up with a turkish bowl, for now (as per my thread here), but I'm definitely interested in this kind of tests. Great work!

I also have a Turkish bowl and it is not bad at all. I definitely like something that is unbreakable.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very. I'd have bet on ceramic for the win.

I use a thick-wall pewter bowl and it retains heat well.

AA

I've never done a test like this, but have found my PAA scuttle works well enough to get me through a shave without losing warmth. I use it at home more often than when traveling, though, since I mostly face lather when I'm traveling.

I like the PAA plastic scuttle the best. I have 3 ceramic scuttles and never use then any more. Drop the PAA and it won''t break. Bang it and it won't break. Microwave it filled with water and use a glove to carry to bathroom. Stays too hot for a very long time. Leave the brush in it between passes and the lather is plenty warm. Did I mention it won't break if dropped or banged into the sink by accident?

About what I would expect not having pre-warmed either. The ceramic would fair much better if you had. Much like pre-heating a thermos or not. Pre-heating will have piping hot coffee up to 24 hrs later, less than 8 hrs otherwise.

If the temperatures where you want it though, doesn't make any difference.

Thank you for sharing this interesting test. I'm wondering that, because ceramic is a more effective conductor of temperature, it's colder when you begin the experiment. I wonder what the results would be if you filled the scuttles a second time, after the ceramic one was preheated. But I think I'm repeating what the last guy said.

Top Bottom