What's new

Polymer coated bullets?

I reload Chey-Cast polymer coated bullets for 30-30 AI.
160gn flat nose work well in my Marlin 336.
Haven't tried their handgun bullets yet.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I reload Chey-Cast polymer coated bullets for 30-30 AI.
160gn flat nose work well in my Marlin 336.
Haven't tried their handgun bullets yet.

I'm running low on 9mm projectiles and normally use FMJ but the savings with coated
bullets is attractive.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
...the savings with coated
bullets is attractive.
Indeed they are ... Acme has 115gr 9mm RN-NLG bullets beginning @ $8.50 per 100.

I frequently use Acme “lipstick” bullets for 9x18 & .32-20 (pictured below) and occasionally, Blue Bullets for 9mm & .38 Super reloads, all four with excellent results.

One of my fellow cast bullet shooters powder coats his cast bullets rather than using traditional cast bullet lubes like alox/beeswax. He gets good accuracy and no barrel leading. I have not tried it.
Some indoor ranges disallow cast bullets to be used due to perceived higher atmospheric lead levels. I guess that polymer coated cast bullets would display similar characteristics to copper/brass plated cast bullets in that regard.

Indeed they are ... Acme has 115gr 9mm RN-NLG bullets beginning @ $8.50 per 100.

I frequently use Acme “lipstick” bullets for 9x18 & .32-20 (pictured below) and occasionally, Blue Bullets for 9mm & .38 Super reloads, all four with excellent results.

Do you use cast bullet load data from the books?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

Yes, in general, plated, poly coated and powder coated lead bullets use the same lead bullet data. Do Not use lead bullet data for moly coated jacketed bullets. As always, work up loads carefully if you are approaching max loads and watch for pressure signs.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
What nortac said above, HARMON ... do bear in mind that coated bullets generate less friction than do their plated & jacketed counterparts & not only does this translate into less heat (& over the long haul, diminished barrel wear), but it also results in slightly increased energy & velocities — I’ve read, anywhere from 10-15% with equal powder charges.

When I reload with coated bullets, I chamfer as usual, but increase the amount of case flaring so as to avoid skinning any of the coating. Additionally, I seat & crimp in separate steps, though I’m not certain this is necessary ... it’s just my preference.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I shot a lot of Winchesters old 230 grain .338 Fail Safe bullets with the black moly coating. Copper fouling was still present but the moly coating seemed to condition the barrel so it was very easy and quick to clean.

I believe it also helped keep pressures down and stable. My working load for that rifle in .338 Lapua was a 230grain Fail Safe at 3150fps.

The construction of that bullet used a steel case around the lead core, which made them very tough bullets.

upload_2019-7-16_12-34-34.jpeg

I havent done any reloading for a few years and have never heard of powder coated bullets. Using them, I'd work up my loads slowly, carefully and record the chrony information. Paying particular attention to the extreme spread between bullets of the same load. That can give a good indication of pressure variations. I'd be very curious about that with powder coated bullets. The ES of my .338 Lapua working load was a very low 7fps, if I remember right.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
They came in a nice wooden box...

View attachment 1052601
Got a lot of their boxes in my basement, they can be used for a lot of things. Using the ACME bullets now for several years. Now only for .38 spl and .45. Used a lot of their 124 RN for 9mm, but several years ago there was an issue with the sizing and I had some problems. They made good very fast and easy, sent me a return label for the left over bullets and replaced them with .38 spl ones for me. I still buy a lot of these in 38 spl and 45, they are great.
For 9 mm, I am now using only Precision Delta 124 JHP

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I don't understand why anyone only offers .356 diameter 9 mm projos. They don't work in a number of guns, .355 works in almost any 9 mm.

Top Bottom