What's new

Polsilver Super Iridium

Does anyone know the true status regarding the current and/or future production and distribution of the Polsilver Super Iridium blades? I sure would love to try these but fear I would really like them only to find out that are, in fact, no longer in production (again). I'm not about to try something that's not going to be around. What's the scoop?

Does anyone know the true status regarding the current and/or future production and distribution of the Polsilver Super Iridium blades? I sure would love to try these but fear I would really like them only to find out that are, in fact, no longer in production (again). I'm not about to try something that's not going to be around. What's the scoop?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Last edited:
this post just made me jump online and buy another 100 lol

best blade i have every used!!! stockpiling.... recommenced

From what I've gathered there's been rumors going back and forth for a number of years about production being stopped, which have been false. Atleast from what I have read lol. If you use the search feature, there are multiple other threads going into more detail. They are awesome blades, and I reccomend trying them regardless.

From what I've gathered there's been rumors going back and forth for a number of years about production being stopped, which have been false. Atleast from what I have read lol. If you use the search feature, there are multiple other threads going into more detail. They are awesome blades, and I reccomend trying them regardless.

Great blades! However, this rumor has come up repeatedly. It appears to me a marketing ploy.

Still best to assure a good stockpile!

There are a number of other blades that I find to be just as good or better than Polsilver that sell at lower prices. I still have a few tucks in my stash, but do not plan to purchase any more at the current price. I just do not believe they are worth paying 2-3 times the price of many other blades that work just as well.

There are a number of other blades that I find to be just as good or better than Polsilver that sell at lower prices. I still have a few tucks in my stash, but do not plan to purchase any more at the current price. I just do not believe they are worth paying 2-3 times the price of many other blades that work just as well.

RayClem, thanks for the reply!
I would be interested in hearing what those "other blades" are. I am still new to the DE razor wet shaving thing, but I am the sort of person who likes to get to a point where I have one preferred item or system that works best for me and then sticks with it! I am loving my EJ DE89 "Barley Chrome" razor and my Simpson 56 Best Badger brush and don't see myself using anything else or building a "collection" of shaving products aside from perhaps an assortment of various soaps and aftershave.
Regarding blades, I initially picked up some Astra SPs, Gillette Silver Blues, and some Treet Classics (carbon steel) to get me going. Thus far, I am favoring the GSBs but I keep seeing such positive reviews of the Polsilvers. I am open to any other "contenders" to consider as I narrow it down to my blade of choice, which I will then likely stick to indefinitely.
Cheers.

RayClem, thanks for the reply!
I would be interested in hearing what those "other blades" are. I am still new to the DE razor wet shaving thing, but I am the sort of person who likes to get to a point where I have one preferred item or system that works best for me and then sticks with it! I am loving my EJ DE89 "Barley Chrome" razor and my Simpson 56 Best Badger brush and don't see myself using anything else or building a "collection" of shaving products aside from perhaps an assortment of various soaps and aftershave.
Regarding blades, I initially picked up some Astra SPs, Gillette Silver Blues, and some Treet Classics (carbon steel) to get me going. Thus far, I am favoring the GSBs but I keep seeing such positive reviews of the Polsilvers. I am open to any other "contenders" to consider as I narrow it down to my blade of choice, which I will then likely stick to indefinitely.
Cheers.

Try Gillette Platinums, especially the newer model ones where they etch the name on the blade (the ones sold out of Eastern Europe in the single-pack blue boxes are definitely etched; stock in the blue-bordered white boxes may or may not be depending on age of manufacture.) Having used several of these and Polsilvers I don't find a difference.

Try Gillette Platinums, especially the newer model ones where they etch the name on the blade (the ones sold out of Eastern Europe in the single-pack blue boxes are definitely etched; stock in the blue-bordered white boxes may or may not be depending on age of manufacture.) Having used several of these and Polsilvers I don't find a difference.

Thanks for the tip! I will pick up a pack of the GPs to evaluate! I sure am enjoying being part of this wet shaving brotherhood! The wealth of knowledge and experience, and the willingness to share it with others is just wonderful!

I was sold on Polsilver and worried just like you until I tried a Nacet. I get just a little closer shave and to me, it’s much smoother, sharper, and lasts a little bit longer. Oh yeah, and about a third of the price.

Polsilvers are my favorite DE blade. In fact, I haven't used anything other than Polsilvers in the past, oh, probably 4 years or more.

That said, I also use GEM razors and AC razors/shavettes. So I am going through them VERY slowly right now. Since late August I haven't used a DE for anything but a tiny bit of clean-up, as every shave has been with an AC shavette. So the blades I have left should last me for a long, long time.

Other blades I have used and enjoyed include:

Bic Chrome Platinum (very polarizing blade, but the few I tried were very good)

Treet Classic (FANTASTIC blade but only for the first shave and maybe a second; need to be dried immediately after use or you might as well bin it)

Gillette Silver Blue (not as good as the Polsilver for me, but decent)

Wilkinson Sword Classic ("WalMart Wilkies." These blades are surprisingly good for me)

Astra Superior STAINLESS (please note I did not say Astra Superior Platinum, which is the Astra blade that everybody around here uses. I find the stainless version to be smoother and essentially better in every way)

Gillette Platinums (nice)

Israeli Reds (not bad, good price)

Kai (plenty sharp)

Blades that some people like that I really thought were not good:

Astra Superior Platinum (inferior in every way to the stainless version mentioned above)

Voshkod (dull, tuggy)

Personna Med Prep blades (probably the most overrated blade on the planet, IMO. Not a horrible blade, but not very good. WalMart Wilkies are much better blades)

Worst blade I ever tried:

Dorco ST-301 (I'd rather pull out the hairs with a clam shell)

I was sold on Polsilver and worried just like you until I tried a Nacet. I get just a little closer shave and to me, it’s much smoother, sharper, and lasts a little bit longer. Oh yeah, and about a third of the price.

This was my experience too. I'm a Nacet man now.

Polsilvers are my favorite DE blade. In fact, I haven't used anything other than Polsilvers in the past, oh, probably 4 years or more.

That said, I also use GEM razors and AC razors/shavettes. So I am going through them VERY slowly right now. Since late August I haven't used a DE for anything but a tiny bit of clean-up, as every shave has been with an AC shavette. So the blades I have left should last me for a long, long time.

Other blades I have used and enjoyed include:

Bic Chrome Platinum (very polarizing blade, but the few I tried were very good)

Treet Classic (FANTASTIC blade but only for the first shave and maybe a second; need to be dried immediately after use or you might as well bin it)

Gillette Silver Blue (not as good as the Polsilver for me, but decent)

Wilkinson Sword Classic ("WalMart Wilkies." These blades are surprisingly good for me)

Astra Superior STAINLESS (please note I did not say Astra Superior Platinum, which is the Astra blade that everybody around here uses. I find the stainless version to be smoother and essentially better in every way)

Gillette Platinums (nice)

Israeli Reds (not bad, good price)

Kai (plenty sharp)

Blades that some people like that I really thought were not good:

Astra Superior Platinum (inferior in every way to the stainless version mentioned above)

Voshkod (dull, tuggy)

Personna Med Prep blades (probably the most overrated blade on the planet, IMO. Not a horrible blade, but not very good. WalMart Wilkies are much better blades)

Worst blade I ever tried:

Dorco ST-301 (I'd rather pull out the hairs with a clam shell)
I have to agree with you on the German Wilkies and Astra SS! These are two of my regular favorites.

I find GSB and Rubies even better and no chicanery about being discontinued.

Interestingly enough I heard a rumor about GSBs being discontinued. Frankly I highly doubt it but if you notice, GSBs are now similar priced as Polsilver SIs. I don't believe either one is discontinued.

Yes. They have a listing that shows a $16 price. But several reviews complained about blades that were not genuine. One reviewer sounded like an experienced wet shaver who had used GSBs before and found many "duds". There are several reviews where the buyers received Platinums instead of SBs. The seller is not Amazon. They are just a fulfiller. I wouldn't buy those. Reputable sellers like West Coast Shaving, Maggards and others are selling them for north of $30 for 100. That is insane. When I bought my first 100 pack of GSBs I think I paid around $18 or so. Before I pull the trigger on any blade purchases of Polsilver SIs or GSBs, I will fully research the seller. I normally do this but now my radar is especially heightened because of having read somewhere that the GSBs were being discontinued. Lots lf shady sellers out there. Research is your friend.

Top Bottom