What's new

Polsilver Super Iridium - Opinions

What are your experiences with the above? I heard a lot of positive things about so I got a pack. The worst blade I've had in recent memory. Very rough cutting with lots of tugging and irritation. Using in my Fatip and Krona. The Fatip gives astonishingly good shaves with Astra SP, rainbows, British Wilkies and Israeli Personnas. The Schick likes those blades too. Maybe I have a bad batch of Iridiums.

I think this is a case of YMMV. If I recall though, there was a thread about counterfeit ones recently. Perhaps you got some of them?

The PSI's have been the best blade to date for me out of many different types.
I thought they were quite smooth and sharp........that is until I was sent some Gillette Silver Blues.
Now that is a sharp, smooth blade!
They make the PSI's seem rough and dull.
I always found them to be a little rough and to tug a little on the first shave and then they tend to smooth out.
So it doesnt surprise me that you have had that experience.
No blade can be the Holy Grail for everyone.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
They are good blades, but not UBER blades. The original Super Iridiums had a cult-like following and I think that may affect impressions of this blade (I've not tried one).

I like them, but they won't replace my current favorite, the Gillette Blacks from India. I don't even know if they are 'better' than the Astra, which also work well for me. Good blade, top performer, but not the be all and end all, IMO.

Great blade overall, as smooth and sharp as my go-to blade (Astra SP), but with a tad bit better longevity (1 or 2 extra shaves). Primary disadvantage is their much higher cost.

On my list of the top 5 blades that I use, SI's are #2 right behind Feathers.

YMMV.

Frank

Last edited:
The only DE blades I use. I have both the original SI's and the Polsilver SI's, I can't tell any difference.

I had the same experience as the OP. I gave them all away with razors I sold or traded them. As stated YMMV but why would one want a blade that has to be used a couple times to smooth out when there are plenty of great ones out there that are awesome out of the box?

I didn't find them bad but I didn't find them fantastic either. I have tried a few of them in different razors and find that I like the GSB better than this blade.

Just yesterday I ordered a couple packs from a reputable online vendor.

I expect them to be genuine and am looking forward to comparing them tot he original SIs.

My favorite blade to date.
I also love feathers and astras but the smoothness of polsilver edges out the sharpness of feathers on my face.
No problems for a minor slip but feathers are unforgiving.
Astras are just a touch less sharp and smooth on my skin vs polsilver
Never had a bad 1st shave with a new polsilver or any other blade either that smoothed out on the next shave
the same blades don't get a second chance with me, i'll use the next blade in the box to see if it was a bad blade or decide they don't agree with me
i replace my blades once a week for 3 or 4 shaves on a blade
polsilvers work great in my merkur 180, slant sledgehammer and EJ89
I've lent out razors to 3 guys at work and give them sampler packs of blades with my spares.
5 of us shared 1000 polsilver blades from our own milogciachez in vendor items for sale
In my 2 yeras of DE shaving, i've tried gillette black, silver blue, thins, kai, derby, dorco, bic, bolzano, crystal and others that don't come to mind just now.
Only polsilvers allow me to go a full 4 passes without irritation for my best bbs shave
YMMV is always the wild card
gillette yellows are my next wanna try blades cos of good reviews here but i'm in no rush
will pick up a pack on my next online order, been eyeing the new muhle r41 grande and long handle progress
don't know how long i can hold out

7 o'clock Blues and Blacks are as good to me.

When they are gone they will be the next Gillette blade fondly remembered.

I have been wanting to try some SI's, but since I've had such good luck with GSB's, Voshkod's and Astra's...with my Israeli Crystal's bringing up 4th place. The cost of the SI's is what has kept me from buying them. At over $30/100 I just can't justify that when the GSB's are $20 and I got the last 100 Voshkods for $13 + shipping.

Top Bottom