What's new

PolSilver Super Iridium: First Impressions

I'm fairly new to wet shaving, but a Polsilver in my Rockwell 6S is a joy to shave with. 3 Pass shave gets me DFS and almost BBS, with no nicks, weepers or irritation.

I haven't finished my first blade yet (it's been in the razor since the beginning of December, 2016), but I had trouble with it to start off. Couldn't find a razor that would give me a close shave. Very sharp, very smooth, never could get the stubble off.

Finally figured out I need a fairly high setting on a Fatboy or Slim and a shallow shaving angle, and that blade has been giving me great shaves ever since.

I use it once a week, so my projections are that it will last until early next year as I got 52 shaves on the first edge.

Definitely one of the best blades on the market.

How do smooth and sharp relate to each other? What makes a specific blade sharp and not smooth? Dull and smooth? I am confused.....

How do smooth and sharp relate to each other? What makes a specific blade sharp and not smooth? Dull and smooth? I am confused.....

That’s a great question. Ultimately, some blades are sharp yet rough and some are fairly “dull” yet smooth. For most, the best blades find a balance of sharpness and smoothness. Polsilver happens to be that blade for many.

Some blades like a Feather would rank a 10 on the sharpness scale yet 5-6 on smoothness. A Derby might be considered the opposite. You essentially want to find a blade only as sharp as your beard requires. If you have a dense, course beard you’ll be miserable with a derby. On the other hand if you have a thin, fine beard you might find a feather to be very harsh leading to cuts, burning and irritation. Once you find that blade in between you’re in great shape.

View attachment 912377 View attachment 912378 Today was the first day I switched blades in my recently acquired 1958 Gillette Flare Tip, and I chose to use a blade I’ve never used before: the PolSilver (I believe these are Made in Poland).

In addition to a relatively new razor, the other shaving variables were: Proraso pre-shave cream and I face lathered with RazoRock Blue Fougere (its a wonderfully slick and cushioned soap) using a Semogue 1800.

It is a sharp razor. It may be on par or a little sharper than the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword I’ve previously used in this razor. Additionally, it is very smooth— and this was the first shave. Two passes and a few touch ups got me an incredibly DFS (it’s rarely BBS because I don’t like to go against the grain). I did notice that my neck is smoother than it’s been and my face is incredibly smooth, with no nicks, weepers and only minor irritation from the alum

While I want to be able to compare it to a Feather, Astra, Voskhod,GSB, Bic Chrome Platinum and all the others I’ve previously used, I can’t because all of those were done on a Rockwell
2C — a totally different beast.

I just did a random search on Polsilver and this was the first post that came up. Anyway, I've just had my first shave with one of these blades and I also used a Proraso pre-shave cream, something I don't normally bother with, under a fougere, also face lathered, in this case Wickhmas Irish Fern. I used the Green pre-shave and it worked beautifully with the soap. Do you recall which pre-shave you used?

Okay blade, definitely is not worth extra premium that I paid.
I was stupid enough to buy 200 for $66 Canadians in 2019
now I would rather buy 400 Czech Tatra platinum and still have $6 change.

Top Bottom