What's new

Polsilver SI replacement

I'm not sure where the MedPreps are on the scale, but I like them a lot. They've kind of been my goto recently. Kai is my second choice. Currently really liking MedPrep in the R41. I'm about to do shave 8 with that blade today. Going to see how long it will go.

Yes... I get a similar vibe from MedPreps and 7Oclock Yellows. It's a nice smooth pass with really crisp sounding feedback that's just a tad louder than average. Then when you splash water on and rub around a bit to feel for stubble, there's a bit of a dermabrasion feeling that says: "Ya might want to focus more on the task at hand, because this blade is not messing around." But if you use MedPreps in an R41, it won't be a strange feeling for you. That's a very efficient combo and not something I'd get a son or nephew as a beginner setup, haha.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It's a nice smooth pass with really crisp sounding feedback that's just a tad louder than average.
I like the audible feedback a lot. Good to know re: the Personna MedPreps. I consider them a smooth sharp. Definitely smoother than the Feather. Kai seems similar to me. I have not tried those in the R41 or any other blade for that matter.

I said similar in another thread. I don't think the R41 should have been my first razor but would have been quite happy if it my second.

In when I run out of blades I will give the 7 o'clock yellows a try.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The GSBs are in the neighborhood - maybe not as smooth but darned close.

I used a 7Oclock Yellow SharpEdge this morning and was really impressed. I hadn't used one in a while and came away wondering why. It even did a decent ATG under my chin and not every blade can. Granted, I was using a DE89, but it was a good shave. It's probably a bit sharper than the PolSilver - closer to a MedPrep but a very good blade.

I find the yellows very smooth and enjoyable, but not as sharp as the PolSilver SI.

Gillette Platinum are better for me, but still not as good as the PolSilver.

For me the closest blades are two Gillettes, the blue packaged and back packaged Super Platinums. The blue Gillette blades aren't in production any longer unless you believe the current GSBs are their rebadged descendants. The blacks are still made in India and I think they are fantastic.

Check this thread on the Wizamet SI, which is easily optainable:

I was cleaning out the linen closet and found about 10 loose Polsilvers from a sampler pack I had about 8-9 years ago. I’ve never used them so I’m interested to see what makes them so special.

Polsilvers/Wizs are one of my top 5 favorite blades. Are they uniquely good? No, hence top 5. But, they are definitely popular. Whether or not they are really discontinued ... this time and for the first time ... is up for debate.

SI Wizamets. IMHO, they are by far the closest to the Polsilver blades manufactured in Russia. They are typically around 20 cents per blade. For me, the next closest would be the Nacet. If you ask this question to 50 people you will get 50 different answers.

Yes the SI Wizamets would be the closest blades to Polsilver. However Black ninjas, Gillette Rubies, and Bulgarian Gillette platinums (blue packaging) are on the same level IMO.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The modern Wizmets are as close as you can get to the Polsilvers. Some people say they are the same blade in different packaging. I thought so as well, until magnified pics of the blade edge were posted a couple of weeks ago. But they shave exactly the same to me. Perma Sharp Golds are also pretty darned close in terms of performance. They even work better than Polsilvers in some of my razors, like the Wolfman or Charcoal Goods.

You'll love the latest Gillette Minora Stainless made in St. Petersburg from Russia, very much the same as the old Gillette Stainless (red & white) pack which isn't available anymore.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom