What's new

Polsilver - Last Batch of 2016?! (I do not think these are fakes)

I know that this is a divisive topic and I have had many a headache in working out and wondering if this particular batch is genuine or not. Having shaved with a few of these blades in a Fatboy G1, 1912 Single Ring and Rex Envoy XL I can only conclude that these are just the same as the older branded Super Iridium Stainless Steel Blades. 2016 seems to be the year that these were phased out of production? Sure, they don't not look great but PPI have obviously dumbed down the etching as they finished production (Petersburg Products International). I find them super smooth and super sharp every time - Get some of my closest shaves out of these comparing to the likes of Feather, Gillette Silver Blues and Rapira Platinum Lux (change my blades every three shaves). Have a look at the photos of this batch. Keen to hear what you guys think about this? I know many mention that the Y is different on the individual packs but on the main sleeve its the normal regular Y. I am keeping an open mind however and am really interested to find out about everyone's individual experience with this particular version without the super iridium branding.

Attachments

• Pol4.jpg
    Pol4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • Pol3.jpg
    Pol3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
  • Pol2.jpg
    Pol2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
  • Pol1.jpg
    Pol1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 105
  • Pol5.jpg
    Pol5.jpg
    909.2 KB · Views: 115
See here:

Yours have the same branding as the fake sleeve I bought, both on the tucks and the blade stamp. Mine did not shave well, though.

These are the ones I have.

The one on the left (with the straight y in Zyletek) is among the best blade I have ever used; sharp and smooth, excellent blades.

The one on the right (with the curved y in Zyletek) is just not a very good blade, certainly a bottom-tier blade.

I agree with @NorthernSoul, the Wizamets are as good if not better than the original PolSilvers.

20220517_155903.jpg

Interesting responses from you all but this and these response’s - is nothing new. It’s easy to label something a fake but there is literally no proof. I think too much emotion is invested in these discontinued products. These do seem genuine the fact they are date stamped 2016. Remember I’m only discussing this batch not the old version 🙄. Btw experienced wet shavers like myself are not new to the polsilver , don’t appreciate the irony when I’ve done decent research. Wasn’t born yesterday.

Last edited:
It’s easy to label something a fake but there is literally no proof.

Well, there is two sorts of corroboration (proof is probably too strong a word).

1. The shave. Doing a direct comparison between the "fakes" and the "originals" confirmed to me, and others, that these blades are not even close in performance.

2. Occam's Razor. Ask yourself, why would the manufacturer rebrand the packaging (at considerable expense) and only make minute changes (the font and the colour of the tuck)? Why, if they were the same blade, would the blade engraving suddenly change?

It wouldn't: they have been produced on different machines. None of this would make commercial sense unless these were blades produced cheaply enough to warrant some small investment in attempting to replicate branding known to be catnip to affluent western markets.

These have all the hallmarks of a scam. The people that regard them with suspicion here do so with good reason. You, of course, can still enjoy shaving with them, as many others do.

Interesting responses from you all but this and these response’s - is nothing new. It’s easy to label something a fake but there is literally no proof. I think too much emotion is invested in these discontinued products. These do seem genuine the fact they are date stamped 2016. Remember I’m only discussing this batch not the old version 🙄. Btw experienced wet shavers like myself are not new to the polsilver , don’t appreciate the irony when I’ve done decent research. Wasn’t born yesterday.
You asked for opinions. Evidently, you only wanted opinions that agree with your own! Sorry, I didn't realize!

🤷‍♂️

Polsilvers were my go-to blade until they got discontinued. Nothing else used to touch my face.

After years of search, Now this privilege goes to the Gillette Platinum, from the same PPI factory.

I recently came across a NOS Polsilvers tuck and I have to say, the Gillette Platinums are better. Same comfort but shaves closer and lasts as long as the polsilvers.

In B&B some discontinued products are elevated to a legendary status that were unwarranted when they were readily available (polsilvers, tradere, Floid blue, …).

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Those blades are the subject of much controversy. They are not authentic Polsilver. But I bought a large quantity of similarly labeled blades and they were decent. Not great like the real deal. But decent enough. Others have reported horrible results. But mine aren't bad. However I give a lot of them away, as I have a bunch of real Polsilvers and lots of Wizamets. Thousand or so. So I don't really use them. They may be counterfeit. Or they may be Grey marlet blades. But we may never know. Shave with them and judge for yourself.

Yep, these are definitely the fakes. If you read the thread that Multum in Parvo referenced you will see they are identical to a certain supply of generic Chinese blades, and have been repackaged in fake Polsilver boxes (likely by someone in Poland). You can buy the blades very much cheaper direct from China if you like them (without the ’Polsilver’ box).

Be a little careful with them. I had a few and some of the blade wrappers had become glued to the inside of the box, so when I took a blade out the wrapper ripped and the blade cut my finger. I haven’t tried shaving with one - I didn’t see the point. Again, even more evidence that these blades have nothing to do with Gillette manufacturing and quality control.

These are the ones I have.

The one on the left (with the straight y in Zyletek) is among the best blade I have ever used; sharp and smooth, excellent blades.

The one on the right (with the curved y in Zyletek) is just not a very good blade, certainly a bottom-tier blade.

I agree with @NorthernSoul, the Wizamets are as good if not better than the original PolSilvers.

View attachment 1457533

Took one more picture of mine since I noticed the numbers on the box of my "bad" blades were not shown. It's interesting that they match the numbers in your picture exactly.

And like @NorthernSoul I'm confused that you were "really interested to find out about everyone's individual experience with this particular version without the super iridium branding." and then seem upset when we replied. No one questioned your research or when you were born....

20220518_045547.jpg

Thank you everyone else with your kind and constructive feedback. These will now be going in the bin. There is a strong consensus here that these are not genuine and helped changed my mind.

Top Bottom