What's new

Polsilver in the blue/black box vs Gillette Nacets or GSB

I had been away from my Polsilvers for a bit - experimenting with Nacets and decided to "Polsilver it" for a fresh Monday morning shave! Definitely was noticing a fall off in efficiency from the Nacet, but as always, the blade felt very smooth. Also, not as close as either the GSB or Nacet...

Maybe I need to re-acclimate my technique and face back to the Polsilver?

Any similar experience from anyone else, or where a former blade was not as great as you remember it?

Happens to me every time I pop in an Astra. They were my go-to for at least a year and a half, but they pale in comparison to GSBs.

Hell, I'm on shave #6 with a Nacet, which 1 1/2 years ago I would've never thought possible. DFS on shave 6? With a Nacet?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

+1 @cw62803

Nacet and Polsilver are my two favorites, I'd be happy with either. I choose Nacet for the price, but Polsilver has longevity like no other blade I've used, which probably makes it cheaper per shave if you use your blade to the end. That's irrelevant to me since I change the blade every week nowadays, if not twice/week whether it needs it or not. I think Polsilver starts out smoother, but by the third shave Nacet is no longer showing off how sharp it is and mellows out a bit.

+1 @cw62803

Nacet and Polsilver are my two favorites, I'd be happy with either. I choose Nacet for the price, but Polsilver has longevity like no other blade I've used, which probably makes it cheaper per shave if you use your blade to the end. That's irrelevant to me since I change the blade every week nowadays, if not twice/week whether it needs it or not. I think Polsilver starts out smoother, but by the third shave Nacet is no longer showing off how sharp it is and mellows out a bit.

I've never used a Polsilver, much the same as I've never used a Feather; the price for both is the biggest detractor for me. I'd be more than willing to try them if they were being given away, but for now they'll remain in the "haven't tried" column.

I did get two tucks of Nacets in trade for 10 Lab Blues (pretty fair trade price wise) about 2 1/2 years ago or so. My first impression, revisiting about every other month through the first tuck, was that they were too sharp and very rough, but I don't think my technique was 100% at that point. More recent revisits have proven that, although they definitely command respect due to their sharpness, they're a great blade that can last past the 8x mark, glide through the hair on my face like a hot knife through butter, and do all of this with little to no sting from even the highest octane A/S.

I'm pretty sure my next 100 will be Nacets, but I'm not deciding until I revisit the Sputniks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@guyakaguy - I was seriously impressed by Sputnik. I wasn't expecting much from them but they're a sharp blade that's a bit smoother than Nacet on that first shave. I prefer Nacet but would have no problem using Sputnik, or *almost* any other blade from PPI.

@guyakaguy - I was seriously impressed by Sputnik. I wasn't expecting much from them but they're a sharp blade that's a bit smoother than Nacet on that first shave. I prefer Nacet but would have no problem using Sputnik, or *almost* any other blade from PPI.

Everything is always YMMV....

I have yet to use my nacets, I have had a tuck for almost a year.

I have not been impressed with polsilver - doesn't suit my face. GSB are decent but not incredible.

I will say however, that sputnik surprised me with how good they were.

They're all so close. I'm trying Nacets and I need more time to make a real conclusion. So far they seem like Polsilvers, but cheaper. Very sharp during the first couple of shaves. I am getting a little bit of irritation. GSBs are the best overall most consistent for me.

I just chucked a Nacet on Friday that was on its 7th shave for a Sputnik. After two shaves with the Sputnik in my Slim I grabbed my Fat Boy that has a GSB loaded in it, which is now on its 7th shave. Let me tell you, IMO, a GSB on shave 7 beats a Nacet on shave 7 as well as a Sputnik on shave 2. YMMV, but every time I think about acquring/trying some different blades I'm impressed by GSBs, and I've been using them for about two years.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I think I have at present about 100 five and ten packs of blades, all different brands, now that I'm over the initial rush of being a newbie and aquiring everything under the sun concerning DE shaving, shaving is back to well, just shaving, I just randomly select a blade out of the blue when I do shave, Long story short, it had probably been a year since I had used a Polsiver Blue/Black pack blade and I was shocked at how good these blades really are. I had considered the Gillette Platinum my current "fav" for sharpness, but to be honest the PolSilver just destroyed it. If I has to chose only blade forever this would probably be it (at this present time) LOL we all know this will change again sooner or later

Top Bottom