What's new

Polsilver Conundrum

It's interesting how the prices for blades fluctuates so much. I paid over $35 for a hundred Polsilvers on eBay, only to see the price drop to $15-$16 a year or two later. Now they are up to $25-$26. I think they are more than worth the price, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone in Bulgaria or Lithuania buys a pallet and starts selling them for $16 again.

If the price of Polsilvers keeps climbing, I will miss them a little. But for me, Bolzanos come close -- a little rougher out of the gate, but they smooth out nicely while holding an edge. Israeli Reds would be close too.

Hello guys, i was direct to the Polsilver factory and they really stopped producing the blades, because Gillette factory bought Polsilver factory. A few Bulgarian now have a limited quantity / about 12000 shaving blades/ so if you want to have Polsilver blades is time to buy, because i think that the price will going up after a few days. I talk with the Bulgarian vendors and wanted to buy all shaving blades but they let me know that have only 12000 blades. Polsilvers are gone that’s it.

It's interesting how the prices for blades fluctuates so much. I paid over $35 for a hundred Polsilvers on eBay, only to see the price drop to $15-$16 a year or two later. Now they are up to $25-$26. I think they are more than worth the price, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone in Bulgaria or Lithuania buys a pallet and starts selling them for $16 again.
Hello guys, i was direct to the Polsilver factory and they really stopped producing the blades, because Gillette factory bought Polsilver factory. A few Bulgarian now have a limited quantity / about 12000 shaving blades/ so if you want to have Polsilver blades is time to buy, because i think that the price will going up after a few days. I talk with the Bulgarian vendors and wanted to buy all shaving blades but they let me know that have only 12000 blades. Polsilvers are gone that’s it.

The “Gillette factory” is the PPI (Petersburg Products International) plant in St. Petersburg, Russia. PPI is a joint venture of Leninets and Gillette (which owns 65%). Gillette closed their British factories and relocated those operations here. They also purchased DE blade makers elsewhere (Poland and Czech Republic) including Polsilver and relocated those operations to St. Petersburg many years ago. This “Polsilvers are gone” story has floated around ever since, and seems to only exist to allow price inflation. I will believe it when I can no longer buy Polsilvers.

In my Gillette NEW SC, which has .023" blade gap, the Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium is a dead ringer for Polsilver. In that razor I cant tell them apart. In my Fatip Grande however, which has little blade gap and more blade exposure, they dont work as well.
I have tried these in a sample pack. These are sharp and comfortable but I don't get them in India. They have another offering here and I can't tell these two apart on face. They are no Polsilver for me but think of much sharper GSBs and they get the job done.
https://www.amazon.in/Supermax-Diamond-Edge-Platinum-Blades/dp/B07B78BHVG

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have tried these in a sample pack. These are sharp and comfortable but I don't get them in India. They have another offering here and I can't tell these two apart on face. They are no Polsilver for me but think of much sharper GSBs and they get the job done.
https://www.amazon.in/Supermax-Diamond-Edge-Platinum-Blades/dp/B07B78BHVG

I have both Platinum and Titanium blades now. I dont like either blade in my Fatip Grande and havent tried a Platinum in my NEW SC yet. I'm still in the throes of a torrid love affair with my MMOC :)

Update: Well, I ordered 100 super max Blue Diamond Platinums through Amazon. They came from Germany, and were about $11.00 including shipping. I think these will be my everyday blade. While not as sharp as the Polsilvers they were very smooth. Second shave tomorrow will tell whether the smoothness continues, but unless the cost of Polsilvers drops,These will probably be my go to.

If it helps at all, you can get Polsilvers for $0.17 / blade, if you're willing to buy in bulk, here:

Super Iridium Polsilver Double Edge Wizamet Razor Blades 250 Pcs Count/tracking 3014260318024 | eBay

I just bought one (250 blades for $43); there are three left. Or maybe a million left, who knows. But it says 3.

These are Wizamets. I was trying to suss out what exactly that meant in another thread which I started earlier today. The general idea seems to be that Wizamets are either better or exactly the same as Polsilvers. Either way, you're getting, at minimum, a real Polsilver and possibly something even better.

That link now shows $200 plus $6 for shipping for 250. So about $0.80 a blade.

Looks like the rumors of Polsilvers going out of production must be true. Nothing about Wizamets though. So maybe it's a different link?

whoa ... that ebay listing for $200 is positively insane. Type 'Wizamet 250' into eBay and you'll get some listings for the more familiar prices, around $45 for 250. Can't blame a guy for trying to make a buck, but obviously $200 for 250 blades is not gonna fly.

Back when I was using modern blades PSI and Wizamet Iridium Supers, same blade, were in my regular use category as were Gillette Yellows & Dark Blues and Silver Blues, and Rapira Swedish Super Steels. Of those I believe the Rapiras were the least expensive. I'd suggest going to tryablade.com and putting together a sample pack of two or three of what people here recommend.

Top Bottom