What's new

Polo Shirts

25 years ago I had Polo shirts from every fashion brand going: Polo RL, LaCoste, Boss, Armani etc. Later I switched to Supima Polos from Lands End. I have now decided to improve my Polo selection. So in the last few days I have ordered 4 Spier and Mackay Egyptian cotton polo's, an Alan Paine Pima polo, a Sunspel Pima, and from Italy a Fedeli.

What brands do you favour?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I like Gant, Ralph Lauren, and Barbour as long as the logos are not too large and prominent. They seem decent enough quality, keep their shape, and wash well. The Ralph Lauren Big Pony design is not to my taste.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
James Bond had a pocket....
1583104049121.png

Im a golfer, so Im partial to the golf brands: Footjoy, Nike, UnderArmour and even Slazanger at GG/DSG is quite good.
Ive also got quite a few Lands' End polos but the LEs are more of a cotton and are not a synthetic fabric and a more fitted cut than the golf brand are.
Im also a big fan of some of the less expensive polos that you can get at Kohls. You dont need to spend $80 to get a nice polo.
IMO, one of the biggest advantages in life of being a golfer is that you have plenty of classy, causal clothes that you can wear to any occasion.

I do enjoy polo shirts. But there's a difference between the style you want--a cotton pique, a 'softer' or interlock cotton, or a sporty version with some polyester. Too many polos are boxy in shape, which can be a feature depending on one's body type. My favorite polos of yesteryear were Ashworth golf polos.

Now, I like Eddie Bauer (a little fitted, but not really), Lands End (with the 1% stretch or so that everyone likes to add), but still in the hunt for the perfect one. American Giant is my favorite USA cotton producer, but their polos (and colors) are hit and miss. If Orvis, for example, made a non-pocket cotton polo, I would be very interested.

My absolute favourites are vintage Lacoste (made in Peru) cotton pique polos, so I hit thrift shops. I'm slim and tall, so most modern polos look like a tent on me. Even smalls.

I do enjoy polo shirts. But there's a difference between the style you want--a cotton pique, a 'softer' or interlock cotton, or a sporty version with some polyester.
I prefer 100% cotton made from an extra long staple cotton: Sea Island, Supima, Pima, Egyptian/Mako/Giza, or Filo di Scozia. Any polyester or elastane is strictly forbidden. I prefer a Pique over a Jersey or Interlock. But there is a third variety to check out:

0002885_oxford-knit-polo.jpeg

The Oxford Knit Polo.

I do not like pockets either, and I guess I need those matching shorts. For a second I thought this was the famous terry cloth romper from Goldfinger in nearly the same baby blue. I would not take casual dress advice from James Bond!

I like golf shirts, too, except the ones make of nylon or that kind of shiny polyester that does not breathe at all.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
. I would not take casual dress advice from James Bond!

I like golf shirts, too, except the ones make of nylon or that kind of shiny polyester that does not breathe at all
Some people put Bond on a pedestal like he can do no sartorial wrong. No; he's just a fallible source like any other.

A few companies make merino polos and those are worth a look.

Some people put Bond on a pedestal like he can do no sartorial wrong. No; he's just a fallible source like any other.

True all of that, although anyone who has ever seen that Goldfinger romper should know better! ("Romper," what a great word! "Onesie" would work for that outfit, too! Don't Google for images or it. You will go blind!)

Bond is not all that reliable for semi-formal dress either! I wonder if the Bond in the books was more reliable! In my high school brain he was. I am guessing he actually was! I forget whether he was requesting shaken martinis in the books. To me, not reliable there!

I suppose, good advice is don't take any advice from modern Hollywood as to how to dress.

Top Bottom