What's new

Polo shirts or short sleeved shirts?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've been giving my wardrobe a good overhaul recently, and while I had oodles of long sleeved shirts, my short sleeve options were quite lacking. I had maybe five of each, but at least three out of each five, were really only fit for slobbing out around the house. There was only one of the polos and two of the short sleeved shirts that I'd wear to any social gathering. After perusing both in online stores, I found significantly more short sleeved shirts that caught my eye than polos.

Determined to try to find a better balance, I kept searching through several online stores, and eventually concluded that while polos have their place, and are very comfortable, the short sleeve shirt was maybe more my thing. They're at least as versatile in what they can be worn with (jeans, chinos, shorts), and more diverse in materials and patterns. Plus, the colours can really pop on a shirt, whereas a polo is arguably more muted, and a shirt is better ventilated in warmer weather, with the more open sleeve and buttoned front.

Reading online though, it appears some aren't a fan of the short sleeved shirt. In fairness, I wasn't much of a fan for much of my adult life either, but they won me over about 7 or 8 years ago. I think as a young adult, I felt they looked a little childish, but that dissolved as I approached 40. That said, I never wore a polo either, unless it was black with no logo.

So which way do you prefer to lean? Or do you own/wear both equally?

For years and years my casual summer wear were Polos, mostly Fred Perry or simple American Eagle. The last couple of years I switched to loose long sleeved linen shirts (rolled up in the day and down in the evening) budget stuff from TM Lewin.

My guilty pleasure in summer are high quality 100% rayon Hawaian shirts with proper cut and prints though. Paradise Found - I’m of an age were I simply don’t care if people find them cheesy, they wear great in summer and my professional wardrobe is mostly of the white/blue variety anyway so I dig a bit of color in my off time.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I grab whatever is clean and fits what I’ll be doing for the day. Mowing the yard, working outside - t-shirt all the way. Hanging out around the house or going to work - might be t-shirt, might be polo. Heading out for dinner - more likely to grab the polo if one is clean, otherwise t-shirt.

I suppose I wear both equally.

I've always worn polos, t-shirts or long sleeve shirts with the sleeves rolled up (linen shirts when on holiday). I don't know what it is about short sleeve shirts but I've just never been a fan of them.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I decided when I reached 50 to stop wearing shirts without a collar such as t-shirts, and also denim jeans. When hanging around at home, which is all I seem to do these days, I prefer a polo as it is easier to iron when I am doing the laundry. For anything smarter I prefer a proper shirt, long or short sleeved is good depending on the weather.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I abhor no iron/wrinkle free fabrics and have little interest in ironing casual shirts with regularity. So my most frequent shirt choice is a pique polo. I get mine from O'Connell's. They are reasonably priced, have nice long tails, are offered without logos, and come in colors that are traditional and colors that pop. I am especially fond of the raspberry. For the occasional short sleeved shirt, far and away my preference is for Madras.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I grab whatever is clean and fits what I’ll be doing for the day. Mowing the yard, working outside - t-shirt all the way. Hanging out around the house or going to work - might be t-shirt, might be polo. Heading out for dinner - more likely to grab the polo if one is clean, otherwise t-shirt.

I suppose I wear both equally.

I might not have been clear in my question, Jason. I was referring to polos vs short sleeve button up shirts, not tees.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
1624102851503.png I prefer this look to a golf shirt (polo), although it does bring back memories of Miami Vice.

I play golf, and have a ton of nicely colored polo's, but I don't like them with a jacket (for no reason I can fathom). I feel the same way about short sleeved shirts. Nothing wrong with them, but they never quite feel right. I have a few linen long sleeved shirts I much prefer for going out to eat - which is almost always air-conditioned to the point of freezing anyway.

Always preferred the polos. That is only between April and October, of course. And I wear the cheap brands: Gildan and Fruit of the Loom. That is they are cheap for you out there in the Western countries. Most if not all people around me think those brands are on the expensive side and don't buy them. But then again, they think a 6 EUR Omega brush is very expensive and if I tell them I have bought a 11 EUR brush they would certainly say I have gone mad.
I have never been a fan of the short sleeved shirt. I don't wear them. Only have one greyish that has never been worn.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
View attachment 1283874 I prefer this look to a golf shirt (polo), although it does bring back memories of Miami Vice.

I play golf, and have a ton of nicely colored polo's, but I don't like them with a jacket (for no reason I can fathom). I feel the same way about short sleeved shirts. Nothing wrong with them, but they never quite feel right. I have a few linen long sleeved shirts I much prefer for going out to eat - which is almost always air-conditioned to the point of freezing anyway.

I'd happily wear a v neck tee under an open shirt, but am not a fan of wearing anything short sleeved under a jacket like that. A Harrington style jacket, yes, but not a suit/blazer/sports coat style jacket. Smart jackets just don't look right to me, without a glimpse of shirt cuff at the wrist.

Are you talking about a short sleeve button up made to be tucked in? If so, I'm not a fan. If you are talking about ones that are meant to left untucked, then those can work. I own a few.

I kind of split the difference for my casual summer shirts - short sleeve henley. Big fan; own way too many. They can be worn tucked in or not, and can work with jeans, chinos, and shorts. They are a little more fashion forward than a polo. Polo shirts are just too conservative for me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Reading online though, it appears some aren't a fan of the short sleeved shirt.

If you are going to wear a tie, you need long sleeves.

1624128816832.png

You can have breakfast all day long, but need long sleeves with that tie.

Otherwise, IMHO they are fine if that is your "thing".

Check out "Mizzen and Main" for good quality "technical" fabric shirts both short-sleeve and polo. "Warrior Clothing" for that English MOD vibe.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I like nice quality tees perhaps from c crew.
I have polos but don’t wear them much these days. Dressing up a tee shirt with a color isn’t fooling anyone IMO. I also found that most polos like polo are way too big and large in the middle (maybe to accommodate a large gut which I’m only working on) and I’ve finally given up on extra large clothing that I don’t need.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Are you talking about a short sleeve button up made to be tucked in? If so, I'm not a fan. If you are talking about ones that are meant to left untucked, then those can work. I own a few.

What do you see as the difference? For me, if it's too long to be left out, I'll tuck it in. Then again, if it's short enough to be left out, I'll still tuck it in ... unless it's too short to stay tucked in.

Oh, and I agree on the Henley, but in those, I like both long sleeves and short.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
For years and years my casual summer wear were Polos, mostly Fred Perry or simple American Eagle. The last couple of years I switched to loose long sleeved linen shirts (rolled up in the day and down in the evening) budget stuff from TM Lewin.

My guilty pleasure in summer are high quality 100% rayon Hawaian shirts with proper cut and prints though. Paradise Found - I’m of an age were I simply don’t care if people find them cheesy, they wear great in summer and my professional wardrobe is mostly of the white/blue variety anyway so I dig a bit of color in my off time.
If I'm out and about in the warmer months I wear Hawaiian shirts, because if I'm out and about I'm carrying a revolver that needs concealment.

So I guess you can say I dress around my gun.

I no longer have any polo shirts, as my "six pack" has turned into a "Pony Keg!"

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
What do you see as the difference? For me, if it's too long to be left out, I'll tuck it in. Then again, if it's short enough to be left out, I'll still tuck it in ... unless it's too short to stay tucked in.
I always thought that if the hem was the same length all the way around then the shirt can be worn untucked and indeed was intended to be worn untucked. Certainly I would not wear a shirt untucked if it was longer at the back than at the front.

Top Bottom