What's new

Polo Black

I always blew off the Polo line thinking old and generic. After reading for reviews on Polo Black, I tried it today. This is really good. Probably great for work and casual and everyday wear. Bought it. Yeah a niche snob will it be impressed but it smells good!

Any fans of this?

Sorry bro, can't get behind you on this one. Polo Sport was released in 1993. After that, they went way too mainstream and everything they produced was synthetic, ozonic, uninspiring, and very ordinary "mall scents" until the release of Modern Reserve in 2008.

Been seeing Polo Black and some of the Big Pony stuff at TJ Maxx/Marshalls lately. I think the Black I saw a couple days ago was $39.99 (can't remember which size for sure). Still pretty pricey for those stores, but if it's something a guy was willing to buy at the dept store price, then definitely worth looking around a little bit.

Back to the basics my friends. I guess I want my cologne to smell like cologne. I'm getting disenchanted with niche eccentricity. I don't want to smell like incense, crime brûlée, or a Moroccan desert anymore. This why I might be going back to "bottom feeder" scents that get the job done an smell nice even is they are mainstream, "boring", or synthetic.

Back to the basics my friends. I guess I want my cologne to smell like cologne. I'm getting disenchanted with niche eccentricity. I don't want to smell like incense, crime brûlée, or a Moroccan desert anymore. This why I might be going back to "bottom feeder" scents that get the job done an smell nice even is they are mainstream, "boring", or synthetic.

Doesn't have to be niche to be a great composition. Dior Homme for example.

I like both niche and designer, but my designer bottles tend to get more use.

Just because its designer doesn't mean you have to compromise on uniqueness or quality. Polo did both here...

Polo Black is nice and gets plenty of compliments. On the downside, it is a bit synthetic and not very original. Double Black is the better of the two for me, but Black smells nice.

double black smells like straight up chocolate to me... its weird. i dont like it at all. But i do have polo black and its perfect.

I've only tried double black. I liked it but the drydown was really powdery.
I've seen black on sale in the discount aisle many times but never picked up a bottle.

I do have the double black and like it! I still want to try modern reserve, heck I may have to buy some more of the green. My wife loves it and that is all that matters

I look down my nose at the Ralph Lauren frags, yet I wouldn't give up the bottles of classic Polo, Modern Reserve, Crest and Double Black (a favorite) in my collection. Go figure.

Polo black doesn't smell like a typical "black" fragrance to me (which would be dark fruit, followed by some type of tobacca/vanilla dry down), or maybe thats just my experience. But it definitely smells good, clean and safe. I only sniffed it on a card at the mall, but to me it bore a shocking resemblance to Guess Suede. Might just have been my nose playing tricks on me though.

Last edited:
I will say, it smells good! I was out a few weeks ago and asked someone what he was wearing, I like it so much. Polo Black! So it is appealing to women : )

Thanks for the reply Wendy. I have to admit part of the reason I wanted to try Polo Black is because of the mention of compliments this scent received on the basenotes forum. Was a bit surprising to me that a Polo scent, a brand which I generally looked down upon as only or "mature" men and scents likely to be dated. It is a nice scent and not a noir/black scent that is typically associated with evening wear. I have to say it is also not going to blow anyone out of the water as best scent ever - as some posts have already attested. It's a good workhorse for everyday water such as work IMO. Smells good and won't offend....it gets the job done when you simply want to smell good.

my brother in law was wearing it at a wedding a few years back and I asked him what he was wearing since it smelled pretty good...
It's not bad, woody I thought it smelled like cedar and maybe some patchouli with a sweetness to it...

Top Bottom