What's new

Poll: What is your favorite type of synthetic knot?

What is your favorite type of synthetic knot?

• Cashmere / Angel

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • Gamechanger / Boss / Ghost

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Mühle Silvertip Fibre

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • Plisson or similar

Votes: 22 17.3%
  • Silver Synth / Full Moon

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Silksmoke / Hawk

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Simpsons Synthetic Bristle

Votes: 16 12.6%
  • Synbad / Mew

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • Timberwolf or similar

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Tuxedo / Black Wolf / Black Tie / Luxedo

Votes: 38 29.9%

• Total voters
Another poll!
Sadly, the maximum number of choices is 10 so I can't include all types of knots but I think this list includes the ones that are the most common today. You can vote for up to 3. If your favorite isn't in the list, comment about it!

Only Timberwolf is listed here but I also enjoy CravingShaving Duro and TurnNShave Quatermoon
I looked those up. CravingShaving Duro falls into the category "Ubersoft" I think. Sadly it was one of the categories I had to skip because of the maximum number of options in the poll. TurnNShave Quartermoon should fall into the Tuxedo category I think?

(Somebody increase the max number of voting options please. Polls are fun!) :)

For softness and ease of splaying for face lathering, Cashmere for me. SynBad is a close second (a little more backbone, almost as soft for the tips but really close, looks nicer).

I recently got a Frank Shaving brush with a G4 knot. I've heard that these knots use hairs that are almost exactly the same as those in the Muhle STP and EJ synths. I've heard many people say that the Muhles are the best synthetics. I haven't used a Muhle, but this G4 feels the same as a Maggard synth that I've had for a few years. It is nothing special. So far, the only synthetic that I really like is the Blackwolf/Tuxedo, but I have a CH-2 on the way and I have high hopes. I'm also tempted to get the red tipped synth knot from Whipped Dog for a future custom handle. It looks like a tuxedo with red tips instead of white. I hope it's the same.

I will say this for the Frank brush: The handle is shockingly nice. Polished like a Paladin, but without the nice engraving. It just has a little F logo.

Last edited:
I've tried all on the list except for the Silver Synth, Simpsons, and Timberwolf. My favorite these days is one that's not on the list, the Motherlode knot.

I have a core of 3 brushes that I rotate. All 3 knots were from Milton @ TurnNShave and the handles were from Daniel @ DC Shaving on Etsy. It would be really hard to just pick 1 but if I had to it would be Milton's Timberwolf because it has the softest tips of the 3 and lathers like a beast... I think 2nd would be his Quartermoon and 3rd, the Angel hair.
20181104_084644.jpg

@Olegausany
The Motherload knot was originally a make up brush knot that someone put in a shave brush handle. It never sold well because it was just too floppy.

@YouToo
You have the Cashmere and Angel hair knots listed together and I can tell you from experience they are very different knots in how they are made and how they lather!! Not even close!!

The Motherload knot was originally a make up brush knot that someone put in a shave brush handle. It never sold well because it was just too floppy.
All synthetic fibres (tuxedo, timberwolf, angel hair, cashmere, black fiber...) are used to make makeup brushes.

I would go as far as to say they were developed for the cosmetic industry first and then used in shaving brushes.

About the floppiness, just set it short and it is awesome, if you like a gentle/no scrub massage.. But they lather great.

Top Bottom