What's new

Poll: Do you find DE or Straight razors give you a closer shave?

Do you receive a closer shave with a DE or a Straight Raozr

• I get a closer shave when I use my DE

• I get a closer shave when I use my Straight

• I find the closeness from both a DE and Straight is about the same

Results are only viewable after voting.
A post from Larry made me think a bit - I know that the thought is that DE blades are sharper than a straight razor edge so I'm wondering with everyone's experience if they find they get a closer shave with a straight razor or a DE.

Let me know your thoughts.

I can choose 2 answers to your poll ;) a de gives me a closer shave on average, but i can get just as good with a straight, BUT, not as often as with a de, sorry about not casting a vote.

If properly executed, I get an equally close shave with either a DE or a straight. BBS is BBS, no? When using a straight that close shave lasts longer through the course of the day. I don't know why exactly this is!?!? The only thing I can fathom is DE blades really are sharper and therefor leave the stubble a bit more pointy/sharp, so when DE cut hair and a straight cut hair protrude out of the skin the same distance it is easier to feel/notice the DE cut hair. That is my crackpot theory and I am sticking to it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You question is similar to: what can get you from point A to point B, your car or your mother in law's broom? :lol:

Every shaving implement can get me to a close shave given enough time to build up proficiency...but what do I prefer? Straights of course:).

I get a closer shave with my straights using a 2 pass North to South direction, but with carefully mapping my face and going wtg, xtg, xtg I still had a good amount of stubble with my DE. Straights are the most comfortable shaves to be had and no face mapping necessary, at least in my case.

BBS is BBS. It doesn't matter which shaving tool delivers it. I find it easier and quicker to get BBS with a DE but I enjoy the use of a straight so much more.

Legion

Staff member
BBS is BBS. It doesn't matter which shaving tool delivers it. I find it easier and quicker to get BBS with a DE but I enjoy the use of a straight so much more.

^ Exactly this. I can't get closer than BBS, or my bones start to show through.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I voted straight. I wonder what the poll would be like in safety razors? I think I will start one.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I'll be by to see if I can add more to the straight razor ranks with a few well placed remarks :).

I wish I could say I get a closer shave with a straight, but I don't. It would probably take me 10 passes with a straight to get the same shave as I get in 4 passes with a Feather in a Futur. I suppose with practice I could get there, but I have lost interest.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I wish I could say I get a closer shave with a straight, but I don't. It would probably take me 10 passes with a straight to get the same shave as I get in 4 passes with a Feather in a Futur. I suppose with practice I could get there, but I have lost interest.

Hey, that's too bad. Hopefully you hung onto your gear for the next time the bug hits...they always come back according to Ouch ;)

I have to admit...much less irritation with my str8 razors...yet closer than my de razor in certain spots like jawline corners aid neck area

st

Not sure if it's just me, but the BBS holds a lot longer with straights on my face. If I were to judge regrowth at 8pm, the straights win out by a noticible margin. Then again, I rarely use DEs so it might be more of a comfort thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom