What's new

Poll / Brush type bowl lathering

Which type of brush for bowl lathering works best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I didn't vote either... I only bowl lather and all of the ones listed, plus the SOC Mistura brushes, all lather well for me.

Horse ought to be on the list. I use the other three too, no real preference, although I face lather about 75% of the time. But I really do like my horse brushes for bowl lathering.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
No vote, I use all 3 types of brushes mentioned and have no issues with any of them with hard , cream or croap soaps.
All I do spread or press soap in bottom of bowl and wet the brush and squeeze most of the water out of the brush and start stirring until I see thick pasty creamy lather forming and just add a few drops of water at a time and it works on all brushes very well in under 2 minutes I have rich lather and then wet the face and lather, works on any brush out there perfectly every time.(a few drops by hand of brush tips or just use any good mister to regulate the water works very well.)
I tried just adding a lot of water at first and that way you will work harder and not always receive good lather regardless of what brush type used and will have to add more soap at times.
(For newbies)Adding water slowly will get the best results I have found with less hassle consistently.
If you have very hard water just buy a gallon of distilled water for $1.00 with a $2.00 mister(atomizer) and that will last a year approximately for some great lather creations IMO.
(Old archived photo's from SOTD threads) (click photo to enlarge)
.........2 band Badger.........................................Boar bristle hair.......................................Synthetic........................
SOTD May 31 2022.jpg
Brush collage  July 22 2022.jpg
Brush collage  July 23 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
If I was forced to pick it would probably be boar, but they all work. Synthetic would be my third choice.

But I like a bush with some size and plenty of splay for bowl/scuttle use. The things that make a brush my favorite - substantial backbone and medium size - make it less than idea in the bowl. Any brush will work in the bowl - if you have the time.

SOC boar and Kent BK 8 are both excellent.

Horse ought to be on the list. I use the other three too, no real preference, although I face lather about 75% of the time. But I really do like my horse brushes for bowl lathering.
Yeah I forgot about horse or I would have put it on the list. I was surprised to find people had a kind of visceral reaction to the poll. I thought 'Did I ask which one do you hate?' I know us wet shavers in this group like our variety and feels like an extension of our freedom. Initially I was going to phrase it 'Which brush type is best for bowl lathering "Cream" because that's what I had in mind but thought it was too wordy. I'm still kind of surprised, as I thought people would have a preference, and I mean just for which one produces the best lather quickly, easily, I know there's other benefits for each different brush type. But just on the basis of fast super quality slick leather, my preference would be badger Reminds me of those Facebook post where someone says: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who Led Zeppelin or U2 and many respond "All of Them". As someone said, I got my answer.

If I was forced to pick it would probably be boar, but they all work. Synthetic would be my third choice.

But I like a bush brush with some size and plenty of splay for bowl/scuttle use. The things that make a brush my favorite - substantial backbone and medium size - make it less than idea in the bowl. Any brush will work in the bowl - if you have the time.

SOC boar and Kent BK 8 are both excellent.
Fixed that for you...or I could be mistaken...if so, my apologies =)

I use all three types. I tend to prefer my boar and badger over synthetic but that has nothing to do with the lather the brush makes and everything to do with the feel on my face. My synthetic brushes are all softer than I prefer, I want to feel a little scrub from the bristles. But my synthetic - usually - whips up a nice lather a little faster than my natural hair brushes.

In my opinion, the bowl will play a bigger part in how well you build a lather than the brush. My first bowl was small and smooth and building a good lather was a bit of a chore. In my travel bowl, large plastic with well defined ridges, I can build a good lather in no time. My scuttle is in between those in size but with smoother surface and less defined ridges than the plastic, and hits somewhere in the middle of the first two for how well I can get a good lather.

Interesting poll but i don't see what the results should show. It's all personal fееling and attitude what will you choose. I love my Omega bore brush and most times I use synthetics. I don't have a boar and I don't plan to buy one.

Top Bottom