What's new

INFO! Politics, The Barber Shop and You

I remember when there was a rule change in BST, and Joel wasn't up on it. Someone called him out, then a moderator let the person know that he (Joel) was the site owner. Said person was given the custom title "BST Enforcer" (I believe). It was quite comical at the time.

LOL I missed that episode. I miss the custom titles and badges.

Today, what's Not political?

Sky is Blue or Other?
Earth is Round or Flat?
Economy is Up or Down?
Optimist or Pessimist?
Strict or Forgiving?
Egalitarian or meritocracy?

Just thinking!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don’t consider Canada a nation.

That's a surprisingly insulting and ignorant comment, particularly given the international membership on this site and the fact the comment is from a former moderator.

That's the first comment I have read on this site that denigrates a country. Am I to assume that comments such as yours are permitted, and do not fall under the umbrella of politics? Regardless, I will refrain from stooping that low and keep my comments civil, as a gentleman would.

Last edited:
That's a surprisingly insulting and ignorant comment, particularly given the international membership on this site and the fact the comment is from a former moderator.

That's the first comment I have read on this site that denigrates a country. Am I to assume that comments such as yours are permitted, and do not fall under the umbrella of politics? Regardless, I will refrain from stooping that low and keep my comments civil, as a gentleman would.

It's satire, Ouch does that lol.

He is now World famous in Canada so he has to be nice. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Canada. It’s America’s little brother.

You have a damn strange way of showing it.

Do it again, and I'll have no choice but to sick Terrence and Phillip on you.

In your best Liam Neeson voice:
They will look for you.
They will find you.
And they will cover you in maple syrup (tariff-free) and legal marijuana (after Oct 17) then laugh their little hysterical laugh.
Apologies to South Park...

Last edited:

¿Eh?

En Amérique, c'est ce qu'on appelle l'humour satirique

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's satire, Ouch does that lol.

He is now World famous in Canada so he has to be nice. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a damn strange way of showing it.
Is he world famous or most wanted? :lol:

In your best Liam Neeson voice:
They will look for you.
They will find you.
And they will cover you in maple syrup (tariff-free) and legal marijuana (after Oct 17) then laugh their little hysterical laugh.
Apologies to South Park...
Now I will have the song (from the South Park movie) Blame Canada running through my head all day :lol: Which reminds me, I need to take the wife to Quebec one day. I spent 3 weeks on business there in 2002- I had a really great time. Great people, and fun city.

ouch

:lol: Noooooooo! Anything but that!

I'm not kidding when I say I love Canada. If you guys could switch climate with Mexico I'd move there tomorrow.

And where am I going to get maple syrup when Bernie Sanders sells Vermont to Putin for some peyote buttons? Canada is my backup plan! It's practically the suburbs of NY.

ouch

Now I will have the song (from the South Park movie) Blame Canada running through my head all day :lol:
Oh great. Now I'll be hearing that all night.

I guess you owe me for that Eminence Front/Eminem's Butt thing.

Who's Joel?

:001_rolle

Joel's post from September, 2008:

Alright ladies/gents - I'm embarrassed to say the recent outbreak of ungentlemanly behavior and relentless political debates (99% of the time between the same small group of 10 or so people about essentially the exact same thing) has gotten to the point whereby we've received so many complaints, we can no longer sit back.

There are fellas here who only participate in the barbershop - and primarily political threads (and do so in a way which irritates others), if you look at their post history, you literally have to go back hundreds of posts to find even one related to shaving. While this is the "barber shop" this is NOT a debate tournament, nor is this a political forum. There are are over 20 public forum sections on this site - and with a quick glance you can quickly/easily tell all but 1 or 2 directly relate to the name and topic of the site.

The bottom line - even in a barbershop... you've got to get your hair cut at some point or they'll ask you to leave. This is not a "free speech" forum, and has never pretended to be - the barbershop exists to shoot the breeze among friends... not to purposely argue the same topic 30X, intentionally get a rise out of others, or generally be a jerk. It's also not the primary (or even secondary) reason to be a member of this forum..... B&B is not about pushing personal agenda's, promoting your own beliefs - or arguing about 'em. It's a forum about gentlemanly pursuits.... if you're here to battle politics, please - go elsewhere.

Just to be clear - very civil and gentlemanly discussions on current events/politics are welcome - however arguments are not (no matter how right you are, or think you are - you'll NEVER change someone's opinion on an issue on a shaving forum, and in the history of B&B it's never happened once on a political issues) ungentlemanly, rude, antagonizing or insulting behavior of ANY kind will not be tolerated.

If those who only participate in political threads continue to argue the same 3-4 issues relentlessly, we'll turn off their ability to see/read/post to the barbershop entirely. Further, if we as ADULTS cannot act in the manner expected, and with the courtesy we would give our friends/neighbors face to face - ALL political/religious discussion will go the way of the dodo.

Frankly the two aforementioned topics, not germane to the vision of this site have caused 4X more problems for the mod team than ALL other topics combined, and it's getting tiring to see the same small group, battle over the same 3-4 things month after month.

If you come here to discuss gentlemanly pursuits - this should not and will not affect you - even RE: the political threads. If you come here to argue, or talk politics "get your hair cut" and take a permanent break from these threads/topics or we'll send Timmy after you... and he's not known for his compassion. Ladies/Gentlemen.... you've been warned - and the expectations and consequences have been clearly laid out.

Well, there used to be a general tolerance of polite and gentlemanly discussion of political issues. Just not letting things drift into arguments. That appears to have now changed. It's unfortunate that things got to the point that the current management crew had to take this additional step, but there we have it.

I've been a member of B&B for well over a decade, and spend a fair bit of that time serving as a Moderator (but not for a while though.) Throughout that time, I have been consistently impressed by the quality of both our membership, and our moderator team. Guys come and go (in both groups), but the quality remains. There's a small number of guys who come to B&B and need "extra attention" to control their argumentativeness, and if they are left unchecked they make things less pleasant for all ... and so we end up with threads like this.

Threads like this are kind of like the "warning: contents hot" labels on coffee cups ... almost all of us already "get it" without a single word being said, but there are those few ... those silly few ... who need just about everything spelled out for them (and still get a nasty case of latte lap.) Oh well.

Thanks Ian, for correcting the impression left behind by my faulty memory from 10 years ago.
Duggo

Top Bottom