What's new

Polishing with diamond pastes

I’ve made a quick trial with Ukrainian polishing pastes with diamonds. The nice thing is that they are :
- properly categorized and labeled, the progression is expressed in microns (not as often in grids without any reference to actual standard)
- they are soft so easy to use for razors
- offer many progression levels
- are not expensive

The negative is … the diamonds themselves.

See the photos. The numbers are in microns.View attachment 1349541
View attachment 1349542
View attachment 1349543
View attachment 1349544
View attachment 1349545
View attachment 1349546
View attachment 1349547

So, what is the negative?

Lots of micro grit diamonds available at low cost, that perform well great for tools and knives. Diamonds do leave a harsh shaving edge, for me. Micro bevel on a Jnat or Hard Ark is an easy solution.

Also, could not open photos.

I'm sorry @Herrenberg and @sanookd. Something wrong must have happened with my tapatalk. Here are the pictures:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have done a lot of experimenting with Diamonds for honing, not Polishing. I polish with traditional polishing compounds with excellent results.

600 scotch brite wheel for a uniform finish then Disco, Green Stainless on a sewn wheel removes 600 scratches, Finish on a loose wheel with White compound to a bright mirror finish.

You will get a much finer finish if you trim off all the lose threads from your wheels. I buy cheap scissors from dollar store for trimming wheels, compound will dull cheap scissors, but they last a few months.

If you do not trim the threads, they slap the steel and can mar the finish. A loose wheel will give you a brighter finish than a sewn wheel.

Where did you purchase these pastes?
Someone brought it to me from abroad. I don't know how to purchase them in a normal way. I've seen the manufacturer's web page but I cannot remember the address. Maybe they are sending out.

Top Bottom