What's new

Polishing a watch band

Below is my watch I received for High School graduation 9 years ago now. It was my first nicer watch and has had some wear in the 9 years.

I'd like to polish the band and make it look nicer again but wanted to check with you guys who might have more experience, Looks like a stainless steel band, any problems there? I've got some flitz liquid polish and a buffing wheel with the red/brown and white polishing compound for my hand drill.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Additionally, way back when I got it, very soon after my mother put it in the laundry without noticing and either in the dryer or washer the blue crystal on the turn know broke, is that something that can be replaced does anyone know? Thanks.

I personally think you should not try it...It is harder to do than you think.If you truly want to keep that watch,take it to a watch repair shop..
Have you ever had it serviced?Even if it's a quartz it still needs servicing every 5 yrs.The watch repair guy can buff it up and do it right.
If that's a mechanical movt....It is in need of real service...Think of a car..It needs the oil changed and a lube job.

Last edited:
I think that a watch that has been worn and shows some wear is fine. It shows battle scars but that comes with wearing it. You can try to buff it, but the deeper scratches won't likely come out. You might need to replace the band. Regarding the blue crystal on the crown, you can probably have a new crown put on, but it might be expensive.

I clean my metal watch bands all the time by soaking them in jewellery cleaner (those tubs you soak rings and stuff in).
I then use an old toothbrush to scrub it down.
You'd be surprised how much black stuff comes out of the band and how shiny it gets with little effort.

Top Bottom