What's new

Polishes and Abrasives Recommended for Dremel Use?

Hey folks! Recently bought myself a dremel to speed up grinding down to the pitting.

I usually take BKF with WD40 paste and a rough bristle tooth brush. If its bad, I usually let it sit in CLR or vinegar for a bit then hit it with a scouring pad. Hand sand with 120 if pitting is heavy the progress while lubing with windex or wd40 up to 7kgrit sandpaper (Extremely time consuming. A good 10-14h for my first restoration).

What abrasives and polishes would you recommend for coating the dremel? If not, what liquids?

Ive seen restorations protect the blade with nickel plating solution or something akin to that? (Any how to links appreciated)

I havent moved on to electrolysis derusting since I dont have a car battery charger. If there are different metgods to it, Im all ears.

TL:DR: What abrasives do you recommend and for what situation would you use another? (chemical AND abrasive, high and low recommendations)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I wonder how many nice blades have been lost to Dremels over the years.
Wouldnt be surprised if that number was staggeringly high.
Definitely not using it on a hollow ground. Mostly for tail work, pin cutting, polishing/buffing.
Speed may very well ruin the heat treat... At best.
Im hand sanding the blade portion with windex.

(I'm new here and dont know how to even delete this post)

Unfortunately most of the restoration how to stickies are very outdated and the pictures/videos arent loadable.

Legion

Staff member
Wouldnt be surprised if that number was staggeringly high.
Definitely not using it on a hollow ground. Mostly for tail work, pin cutting, polishing/buffing.
Speed may very well ruin the heat treat... At best.
Im hand sanding the blade portion with windex.

(I'm new here and dont know how to even delete this post)

Unfortunately most of the restoration how to stickies are very outdated and the pictures/videos arent loadable.

One product I use is called Autosol. It's a German metal polish which you should be able to find in a shop that sells car detailing supplies.

Top Bottom