What's new

Polished rockwell

Well I polished my cap and plate. Still need to work a bit more on the plate but Im geting there! It looks Great and shaves a bit more...slick now.
IMG_20181018_154344.jpg

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
How do Polish people do it? First I hear about not brushing teeth, now this! An unexpected center of innovation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't know about larzone, but I bought a package of rouge and used the Green (Stainless) and then final polished with the Red (Jewelers) compounds using my Dremel and half a dozen or so polishing/buffing wheels.

The handle was the most difficult, as the rouge stuck between the diamond knurling, but dropping it into the ultrasonic took it right off, leaving it bright and shiny.

Well worth the effort, as I'll swear mine seems to glide smoother than unpolished and makes Rocky a real looker.

I've got one of those on the way. Mind telling me how you did it?
Sure! For the top cap I used wet sanding paper. Started with 800 and ended with 2000. And finished with Autosol. I guess thats closes to Flitz in American. The plate is a bit harder. I used polish compound with a Dremel and middle soft round felt rounds. Not done yet with the plate but will finish with Autosol. Patience is the key. It takes many hours but worth it. Trust me!

Someone on another shaving forum polished their 6S, but the results here are especially good - especially in the details. I've polished mine to about 60% of your finish, but that's as far as I could go.

Could you provide detailed instructions - especially the specific ts you used, and how much time it took? Please?

I started wet sanding the cap with first 800, 1200,1500 and last one 2000. Go easy with 800 and 1200. Just to smooth out the rough surface. I think I worked 15 minuters with the 800 and 15 minuters with 1200 grit. The 1500 grit...maybe 30 minuters and The last 2000 grit I used water and worked maybe 30 minutes. I finished the cap using Autosol to get it really shiny. I used an old t shirt with the Autosol. It took like 15 minutes to biff it shiny. Now the plate. I used a Dremel all way and polish paste the White version. Used up many felt rounds with that paste. I was afraid to polish to hard and damage the geometry so there are some imperfections. Finished the plate with Autosol and the Dremel with a couple felt rounds. Buffed it up with Autosol and fabric from that t shirt. Alot of work and not really happy yet with the finish. The handle I Use is the Ikon Bulldog. Have not yet decided If polish the handle or not. I hope this will be useful too you.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Patience is the key. It takes many hours but worth it. Trust me!

If you have a bench grinder, a cotton wheel and a bar of rouge it takes minutes.

Heat is your enemy when using cotton wheels.

My Gillette NEW SC as it came and after polishing on my wheel.

IMG_1354.jpg IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1419.JPG IMG_1422.JPG

Brass is softer than stainless so it polishes quicker, but a bench grinder and a buffing wheel makes short work of it.

I don't know about larzone, but I bought a package of rouge and used the Green (Stainless) and then final polished with the Red (Jewelers) compounds using my Dremel and half a dozen or so polishing/buffing wheels.

The handle was the most difficult, as the rouge stuck between the diamond knurling, but dropping it into the ultrasonic took it right off, leaving it bright and shiny.

Well worth the effort, as I'll swear mine seems to glide smoother than unpolished and makes Rocky a real looker.
Nice! Any pictures?

G
If you have a bench grinder, a cotton wheel and a bar of rouge it takes minutes.

Heat is your enemy when using cotton wheels.

My Gillette NEW SC as it came and after polishing on my wheel.

View attachment 920904 View attachment 920905

View attachment 920906 View attachment 920907

Brass is softer than stainless so it polishes quicker, but a bench grinder and a buffing wheel makes short work of it.
Great work! Yes. A proper buffing wheel would be Great and cut some time for sure!

Top Bottom