What's new

Polish sterling silver filigree on Montblanc resin?

I bought this pen in Munich a couple decades ago - my daily drivers back then were Pelikans so this one never even got inked... I was collecting at the time and now that I'm pulling pens out for the first time in forever I'm finding some of them need polishing. Should I take this to a Montblanc boutique and have them clean it or is there a product I can use at home to address the filigree without risking damage to the resin?

PXL_20210618_124637617.jpg

Beautiful pen! I would not risk trying to clean that myself, in fact I would not clean it at all.

I'm terrified by the idea of cleaning this myself! My skills in polishing begin and end with the use of a bit of water and a microfiber cloth. I would love to bring the silver back. I used most of my pens back when I was heavy into collecting them - and for years I kept a couple of my favorites in use. This one just never got any attention - it was so shiny when I bought it! lol

I took a similar pen to an MB boutique about 10 years ago, it needed a polish, perhaps servicing. I asked them how they would polish the silver, they said they would use silver wadding polish and if it needed something heavier duty they would use a metal polish such as Brasso.

I didn't leave the pen with them.

Best advice is from Jar, a simple cloth without any abrasives.

I took a similar pen to an MB boutique about 10 years ago, it needed a polish, perhaps servicing. I asked them how they would polish the silver, they said they would use silver wadding polish and if it needed something heavier duty they would use a metal polish such as Brasso.

I didn't leave the pen with them.

Best advice is from Jar, a simple cloth without any abrasives.

Wowsers. Surprised that they didn't recommend dipping it in sulphuric acid to get rid of any tough stains. A shame that the price doesn't buy you better service.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Fortunately I have always liked Yard-O-Led fountain pens and pencils that all come with a very nice polish cloth arrangement. It's two part with o0n cloth to use if heavily tarnished and another for lighter needs.

Use it. If you polish it then store it, it will simply tarnish again. I have several silver pens and find that using them removes the tarnish.

I wouldn't try to clean it unless you are going to start using it regularly. Like @Shutterbug57 said, if you don't use it, it will just tarnish again. I wouldn't take the risk just to throw it back in a drawer for another 25 years.

Top Bottom