What's new

Polish blade with gold wash?

Hey, I suspect this question has been asked before but I can't find the answer...

I just bought a Wacker with a pretty nice etch and gold wash. It has some fairly minor discolouration all over it, but it needs a good polish.

I don't want to just rub polish on it for fear of rubbing off the gold.

Is there a polish that is safe on gold-washed blades, or is this going to be a super fussy process of Q tips and frustration?

Thanks!

“Is there a polish that is safe on gold-washed blades, or is this going to be a super fussy process of Q tips and frustration?”

Nope, Gold wash is very thin and will wear away just from touching and use. Rubbing Alcohol and a Qtip will clean and brighten a gold wash blade but, nothing short of replating can repair lost gold wash. Use a clean Qtip and lite pressure.

Any metal polish will remove the gold. I often remove all the gold wash and polish once they start to look ratty. It removes easily with a scotch brite wheel and can then be buffed to a high shine.

I do not advise buying razors with gold wash unless you intend to remove it completely and the price reflects the condition.

Well, that was not the answer I was hoping for!

However, thanks!

Your advice on buying razors with gold is probably excellent from a commercial perspective, but I only ever buy razors I want to shave with, so the price has less to do with actual value for me than "how much do I want to shave with that thing," which gold has very little affect on!

However, now that I hear this, I might start adding the question "how much do I want to polish around that crap?" when I'm thinking about value!

:D

“Is there a polish that is safe on gold-washed blades, or is this going to be a super fussy process of Q tips and frustration?”

Nope, Gold wash is very thin and will wear away just from touching and use. Rubbing Alcohol and a Qtip will clean and brighten a gold wash blade but, nothing short of replating can repair lost gold wash. Use a clean Qtip and lite pressure.

Any metal polish will remove the gold. I often remove all the gold wash and polish once they start to look ratty. It removes easily with a scotch brite wheel and can then be buffed to a high shine.

I do not advise buying razors with gold wash unless you intend to remove it completely and the price reflects the condition.

I'd just polish it and live with the wear. Putting gold on a tool is a sign of affluence. What could be a better show of true affluence than valuing the overall finish more than a silly few microns of gold. Some wear looks cool.

Top Bottom