What's new

Polar Heart Rate Monitors

I have been considering purchasing a heart rate monitor to assist me in training for some upcoming physical tests I have to complete. As far as working out goes, I presently lift and do cardio 4 days a week (with an optional 5th day to run). 3 of my gym cardio days are a 1 hour spinning class.

I was looking at the Polar Heart Rate Monitors, as I have been told they are the most accurate. Specifically I was looking at the RS100 and RS300 models but there are so many to choose from it's hard to decide what to get.

My requirements are that it be useful for both cycling (and spinning) as well as running. Ideally, the selected model would be available for around 100 bucks or less but some slight deviation might be acceptable. At a minimum, the chest strap battery must be user-replaceable (and the watch would be preferable, even if they don't recommend it). I would also like it to have the ability to download data into the computer but this is not a dealbreaker.

Does anyone have experience with either the RS100 or RS300's by Polar or have another decent HRM watch in mind?

Thanks!

I just picked up 2 x Slazenger "Power 1" heart rate watches.
They were on clearance at "Big W" (think K-Mart, in Australia that means "without the guns and ammo") - heh, $15 (Australian) each.
The batteries are both user replacable.
They only store a single workout session, recording elapsed time, maximum heart rate, average heart rate.
They have a low and high heart rate alarm.

As I said, they were on clearance - which may mean if you can find some they might be pretty darn cheap.

If you are "powerfully built" I don't know how you are supposed to keep a chest strap on. I have mine border-line uncomfortably tight, and I'm not that "powerfully" built, but it still slips from the right area down toward my lower rib-cage. I don't think it's a product of the brand, price, or anything else, because I tried on a $300 (Aussie $) polar model in a fitness warehouse and it seemed "remarkably similar" (except you had to send it back to the factory for a battery replacement).

I think the "factory battery replacement" is due to being designed for swimming?

I have a Polar FT4. Once you put your info in, it will give you Calories Burned, Heart Rate, your Zone ( which is basically where your heart rate should be while working out) it stores your data so you can compare your past workouts. It has a user replacable battery for the chest strap. What i like about Polar heart rate monitors is that most gym equipment (my gym anyway) has Polar heart rate monitors built in them so when i where my chest strap my heart rate is displayed on the equipment readout. So i'll have my heart rate on the equipment and my watch can display calories burned or something. It's really a handy tool.

A couple of thoughts about HRMs......... I have a couple and have been wearing them for years while training, biking etc. The more you wear one, the less you need it........ after a little while you will be able to tell within a beat or two where your heartrate is and TBH they are mainly a safety device to keep amateur sports people from believing that they can climb Mt Ventoux wearing a polka-dot jersey.
They are however useful to track data and if you have the possibility to download your sessions and use them, that can be a big plus but I would suggest that for mere mortals Average Heart Rate and Max. Heart Rate are more than enough information. You can easily compare training sessions "on the run" and while readouts like calories burned can be fun, they are normally a very rough approximation at best.
Don't get me wrong, I would hearily recommend getting a monitor but unless you have a real need for all of the information, I would aim for the most basic model possible and try it out. That will certainly be a good enough guide to check your fitness and if you wish to go further and get into lactate tests etc, a trainer will be able to help you with both equipment and more advice.
Good luck and keep up the great work.

I've had a number of Polar monitors over the years. I'm currently using a RS800SD, which is a running specific model with a foot pod that I also use for spin class. I tend to use a cycling specific computer on my road bike. The RS800 is overkill for me and probably for most everyone (save your money). I do like the foot pod and have used it to monitor stride length and pace and it is generally remarkably accurate. The GPS module looks neat though I haven't used it. I got my RS800 on Polar's trade up program which gives a pretty steep discount (30 or 40%) when you send in your old Polar monitor.

Don't buy a monitor without a coded transmitter. If you use it in a race or in a crowded spin class or gym, there is at times a lot of interference from other chest straps (heart rates in the 200s etc). A lot of the gym cardio machines do not support coded transmitters (this may have changed), so plan on being self contained.

Here's the official Polar product site to look at the different models: http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/compare

The site also has a list of authorized dealers. I've always bought from authorized internet dealers or directly from Polar through the trade up program. I have had good luck with trinowfitness - competitive prices on the monitors and batteries and very fast shipping.

On the two models you mentioned, the 100 and the 300, without searching very hard the 100 is just over your $100 target price and the 300 is about $30 more. Both are coded. The 300 looks like it has a better chest strap/sensor and it gives you the option to buy the foot pod, gps, and a bike mount later. If it was me, I'd go with the 300 - better features and the option to add stuff without replacing the unit for a small incremental cost. My first unit was a 200 (no longer made) that looks similar to the 300. I'd still be using it except I crushed it and traded it in.

A couple more notes - strongly agree about not buying a chest strap without a user replaceable battery. The 100 does not appear to have much data capability (settings only). The 300 uses a USB based accessory. My unit uses the IRDA USB. It's neat to see heartrate against time/distance/elevation, though the novelty wore off and I haven't bothered to download in a long time. In my opinion data is what is used to upsell more expensive units.

Last edited:
I have a Polar FT4. Once you put your info in, it will give you Calories Burned, Heart Rate, your Zone ( which is basically where your heart rate should be while working out) it stores your data so you can compare your past workouts. It has a user replacable battery for the chest strap. What i like about Polar heart rate monitors is that most gym equipment (my gym anyway) has Polar heart rate monitors built in them so when i where my chest strap my heart rate is displayed on the equipment readout. So i'll have my heart rate on the equipment and my watch can display calories burned or something. It's really a handy tool.

I echo the same comments. I have the Polar FT4 and I bought my wife a Garmin HRM/GPS and its incredible. Not only does it track her heart rate but also monitors her distance, pace, etc and it plugs into her computer so she can keep track of everything.

I buy from hear rate monitors dot com, very good prices and quick service.

I originally bought a Polar 10+ years ago. The features were very limited and I had to wear another watch at the same time to run a timer and pay attention to what time it was. So that was very soon replaced with the original Timex Ironman HRM with 50 laps and many other features. I've had it for over 10 years now and replaced the chest strap battery twice. Best $90 I've ever spent. Below is one of the new models.

FWIW, you should be looking for custom target heart range settings with alerts and for me, it had to be a good watch to boot with multiple laps and countdown timer. Make sure you research some to make sure you understand how to determine your target heart rates. The simplest methods (220-age=max heart rate) are too simplistic to accommodate your fitness level and your training capacity. While this is running based, this was one of the most informative articles I read at the beginning and I couldn't believe how quickly my fitness advanced without soreness.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13JP51RZTPT36E0NBSNT

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. However, after comparing the Polar RS300x and it's G1 GPS attachment (and hearing of the many problems) not to mention feature set and cost (150.00 plus 50.00 for the Polar Flowlink to upload and non-user-replaceable batteries), I elected to just spend more and get a Garmin 405cx with built in GPS and rechargeable battery. The GPS can be turned off in the gym for spinning and uses advanced heart rate sampling methods to calculate calories. Amazon had a heck of a deal on it at 219.99.

I originally bought a Polar 10+ years ago. The features were very limited and I had to wear another watch at the same time to run a timer and pay attention to what time it was. So that was very soon replaced with the original Timex Ironman HRM with 50 laps and many other features. I've had it for over 10 years now and replaced the chest strap battery twice. Best $90 I've ever spent. Below is one of the new models.

FWIW, you should be looking for custom target heart range settings with alerts and for me, it had to be a good watch to boot with multiple laps and countdown timer. Make sure you research some to make sure you understand how to determine your target heart rates. The simplest methods (220-age=max heart rate) are too simplistic to accommodate your fitness level and your training capacity. While this is running based, this was one of the most informative articles I read at the beginning and I couldn't believe how quickly my fitness advanced without soreness.

Thanks for linking that article, I have been looking for a way to calculate my target heart rate. Using the 220-age and going for 65-85% of my max just didn't feel like it was doing much of anything at all.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. However, after comparing the Polar RS300x and it's G1 GPS attachment (and hearing of the many problems) not to mention feature set and cost (150.00 plus 50.00 for the Polar Flowlink to upload and non-user-replaceable batteries), I elected to just spend more and get a Garmin 405cx with built in GPS and rechargeable battery. The GPS can be turned off in the gym for spinning and uses advanced heart rate sampling methods to calculate calories. Amazon had a heck of a deal on it at 219.99.

Just a note: While spinning your HR will almost always be above your max HR. This is the nature of spin class. Your HR watch will be most useful on long runs/bikes when you are tempted to slack off due to lack of stimulation.

Just a note: While spinning your HR will almost always be above your max HR. This is the nature of spin class. Your HR watch will be most useful on long runs/bikes when you are tempted to slack off due to lack of stimulation.

Not yet. I used it for the first time Friday morning and the highest my HR got was about 20 beats below my max. I burned 728 calories. I really bring it in Spin class, there are about 3 of us who do the hardest work in that class. If you are exceeding your true Max HR, you are hurting yourself.

Top Bottom