What's new

Pointers to how to change brush handle - Omega 10104

Gents, I am a brush noob, have lived happily so far with my Chubby1 and a Semogue boar. But as I have bought all the Gillette vintage razors I need, I am starting to develop a true addiction to brushes.

Hence this issue: I often use a boar brush for my harder soaps (MWF my new go-to) and I just got my first Omega - a 10104. It is quite frankly a superb brush, I really like the backbone along with an unexpected softness to the bristle. However, I hate the handle - too big, too light, too ‘plasticky’.

In other words I would like if possible to change the handle. But how to do it. I have googled a bit in here but cannot seem to find any threads - but I am sure there are plenty. So could you kindly point me to these, thanks a lot.

Any other advice highly appreciated, I guess either a DYI job (though I am not a wizzard handyman) or send it to someone? - And where to get/choose a replacement handle?

I am in Europe.

Thanks, friends.

I actually like my omega 10049 pro boar, but also found the weight too light and plasticky as well. I am now looking at a Zenith Boar with a copper handle. It is supposedly solid copper. They also have a chrome plated version of the copper handle if you hate copper. I believe they also make wood handles of their boar brushes, as well as badger and horse hair brushes.

I hear about replacing a knot all the time, but not the handle as much. Hopefully someone will have an idea if that is truly the route you want to go.

You will have to remove the knot safely from the handle. Sometimes heating the handle below the knot will soften the glue so you can pull out the knot. Most likely removing the handle material mechanically around the bottom of the knot until it comes apart might be safer for the knot. Rudy (RV) removed a knot from a Rooney 3XL brush for me to put it into a one of kind handle. He wrapped the knot tightly with paper and rubberbands, clamped the bottom of the handle into a lathe and started carefully to remove the top material of the handle to free the knot. If you don't know what you are doing and slip, the knot will be ruined. Not likely with Rudy but you are in Europe...
My 2 cents though ... unless it's a really unique knot, just get a diffrent brush with a handle you like.:wink2:

You're looking at 2 problems:
i. to safely remove the knot from your brush and
ii. to set it into another handle.
Unless you're really interested in becoming skilled in that, I think it goes above the DIY level.
A lot of custom brush makes, @Rudy Vey included, are using Omega knots for their brushes. Rudy has made amazing brushes with Omega knots.
I can't find any thread right now but it doesn't seem to be an easy job and it's possible for a beginner to destroy the knot in the process. Setting the knot can have its own secrets as how deep a knot is set will impact the feel of the brush ("backbone" etc).
Depending on how nice of a handle you want, you can check some of the very skilled hobbyists here (probably the brush making & restoration subforum) and see if anyone does work for others.
You can also contact someone like shavemac in Germany (seeing you're from Denmark) and see if they will set the knot into one of their handles.
There's plenty of EU based artisans that make custom handles - depends on what you like and how much you want to spend.
It's possible that sending the brush to the artisan is not more cost effective than having them buy another brush (or shipping a new 10104 directly to them to serve as donor brush).
Best of luck - I surely want to see the outcome!

Last edited:
My 2 cents though ... unless it's a really unique knot, just get a diffrent brush with a handle you like.:wink2:

+1! Not something I would consider. Unless you have a really good machine shop you are better off purchasing a new brush IMO!

Thank you so much guys. Great advice. 5 min ago I agreed with Rudy that he’ll make me a wonderful lime green Omega boar in ”Chubby1 size”. I am stoked!

1E69F859-9BD3-419E-BAFE-7360127C273E.jpeg

I think that you've hit on the perfect solution, going with Rudy. IMO, in a perfect world one could buy a boar brush with a Semogue handle and an Omega knot. Until then there is Rudy Vey.

Since you want to save the knot, DON'T heat or steam it. Chances are it will survive, but the knot may still be weakened.

You don't care about the handle, so get a hacksaw (hit a dollar store if you don't own one). Start cutting salami thickness slices off the bottom until it breaks through and you just see the bottom of the knot. Now take a hammer and whack the side of the handle sharply and it will split like a walnut. Done!

Obligatory warning: saws are sharp and hammers like to squash fingers, so be careful.

Since you want to save the knot, DON'T heat or steam it. Chances are it will survive, but the knot may still be weakened.

You don't care about the handle, so get a hacksaw (hit a dollar store if you don't own one). Start cutting salami thickness slices off the bottom until it breaks through and you just see the bottom of the knot. Now take a hammer and whack the side of the handle sharply and it will split like a walnut. Done!

Obligatory warning: saws are sharp and hammers like to squash fingers, so be careful.

Thanks a lot, Rudy, will try this and have my brother (who is into wood turning) make a heavier replacement handle.
... And then I will wait eagerly for my lime beauty to arrive from you, thanks so much!

@Northstonehill Since you are in Europe, I suggest shaving brushes - Yourshaving.com - https://www.yourshaving.com/en/10-shaving-brushes#/show-all More specifically Zeniths are little pricey but worth the extra cost. I love Omegas for backbone but my two Zeniths get equal attention. Zenith also have 'chubby' style handles but knot size is old world 20 to 22 mm unless you hit this seller's website here Boar Brushes - https://www.thegentleshave.com/collections/boar-brushes who gets zenith to deliver knots made to his specifications.
If I was you, I'd let the Omega 10104 stay as it is and move on to a better boar handle.

Top Bottom