What's new

Point to think about

What I think is missing here is what effect the act of seriously injuring or taking the life of another human being will have on your life. Thankfully, I've never been put in this position, and I think the vast majority of folks here can say the same thing. You can train all you want, maybe convince yourself that you'll have no trouble making the right decision when the time comes, but, are you REALLY ready? The difference between you, a law abiding citizen, and a criminal who has no problem pulling that trigger because HE feels disrespected or he didn't get what he wanted is that YOU do have a basic respect for human life. I think this is inherent in almost everyone, and something I think should be the basic part of anyone who decides to carry a firearm.

A defensive shooting, I think, will change your life FOREVER. I hope I never have to go through it, and I hope none of you will, either. I think the legal system will have a pretty firm grip on you for quite some time, and even if you are eventually allowed to walk away and get your firearm back, cheap or not, you will NEVER be the same. I can't even imagine the full spectrum of emotions a person feels after shooting another person, even if justified.

The points he made are accurate and make sense to me. The great, awesome points made of the various mental dynamics and post psycho-analysis of a self defense shooting are accurate and also make sense to me. However, the transition in conversation from Tim's original post and the psychological aftermath of a shooting be more important?

Good read: "On Combat. The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace." Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

I had the privilege of meeting Lt. Col. Grossman and hearing him speak at a seminar many years ago. His insight relevant to the issue here is unparalleled.
His first book is very well worth reading as well….
FBAC1716-2340-4B4C-8E3F-EA579D95168A.jpeg
CEA55476-A425-4A76-B7A5-AC1188BB9C41.jpeg

I will differ on much of what Grossman has to say. His theories are very much the product of his own psych-social development, and the social impetus of his time.

Amanda Ripley's, The Unthinkable..," and, "High Conflict...," are more solidly based and generalizable for the average-interest reader; whereas, several former Behavioral Analysis Unit agents have written a number of (text) books relating to what would generally be considered the "abnormal" psychology of hunters of men.

I will differ on much of what Grossman has to say. His theories are very much the product of his own psych-social development, and the social impetus of his time.

Amanda Ripley's, The Unthinkable..," and, "High Conflict...," are more solidly based and generalizable for the average-interest reader; whereas, several former Behavioral Analysis Unit agents have written a number of (text) books relating to what would generally be considered the "abnormal" psychology of hunters of men.

He has one item I do find trouble with. His crusade against first person shooter video games and the thought that it reduces the human mind to cheapen life. Having served before the advent of FPS video games and then after serving playing them only made me think; 'This is a joke' , 'Laughing at the other players being way to serious', and finally 'A strong dislike of campers.'. So I am unsure of the validity of those claims... Then again? How does an adolescent mind deal with the graphic nature of a FPS video game? My first exposure to an FPS was 'Call of Duty' on the Xbox 360 and I was an adult civilian at that point of my life.

Other than that, he does make sense to my general understanding of the subject matter. Of course I am a product of that time :letterk1:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
He has one item I do find trouble with. His crusade against first person shooter video games and the thought that it reduces the human mind to cheapen life. Having served before the advent of FPS video games and then after serving playing them only made me think; 'This is a joke' , 'Laughing at the other players being way to serious', and finally 'A strong dislike of campers.'. So I am unsure of the validity of those claims... Then again? How does an adolescent mind deal with the graphic nature of a FPS video game? My first exposure to an FPS was 'Call of Duty' on the Xbox 360 and I was an adult civilian at that point of my life.

Other than that, he does make sense to my general understanding of the subject matter. Of course I am a product of that time :letterk1:

I hate campers, I cannot play against a bunch of campers. How do you camp in Hardpoint or Domination. Get your rear out there and take an objective.

OK rant over.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I hate campers, I cannot play against a bunch of campers. How do you camp in Hardpoint or Domination. Get your rear out there and take an objective.

OK rant over.

Understand your point perfectly if we are playing free for all. But if you are teaming up with 7 or 15 other guys?

You will want a couple of campers on your team to watch your back from re-spawns while you are taking said objectives? :)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Understand your point perfectly if we are playing free for all. But if you are teaming up with 7 or 15 other guys?

You will want a couple of campers on your team to watch your back from re-spawns while you are taking said objectives? :)

I really hate campers in free for all. I like to use my dual wield Diamatti's and run and gun. Campers mess with that. I know campers have there purpose in objective games, I just like to dive in and forget about them.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@Ad Astra You should try UBoat on Steam one of the best simulators for submarine warfare I have played... Very addictive. if you have ever watched the greatest submarine film 'Das Boot' of all time, then UBoat is your game.

View attachment 1307965

😉 I admit I'm not a gamer in general, but a family member served on WWII fleet submarines... So I downloaded Crash Dive II this week and am enjoying this break from the real world.

Seen Das Boot. Read the book, and even better one called Iron Coffins. The Germans were skilled indeed, but three-quarters of the crews and 750+ subs paid the price.

🤔 Looks like great graphics!

👏 Oh, and if I had to use said Broomhandle* in SD and lost it, I'd simply be glad I had it that day. Amen. 😇

AA

* don't actually have one! 🤣

😉 I admit I'm not a gamer in general, but a family member served on WWII fleet submarines... So I downloaded Crash Dive II this week and am enjoying this break from the real world.

Seen Das Boot. Read the book, and even better one called Iron Coffins. The Germans were skilled indeed, but three-quarters of the crews and 750+ subs paid the price.

🤔 Looks like great graphics!

👏 Oh, and if I had to use said Broomhandle* in SD and lost it, I'd simply be glad I had it that day. Amen. 😇

AA

* don't actually have one! 🤣

My reflexes are not what they used to be and my gaming 'now' is thinking/strategy type games Civilization, Uboat, Kerbal Space Program. Takes me away from the world for a few hours here and there.

FPS? No way, I would take a severe beating by the younger kids with their reflexes and hand eye co-ordination.

Look up a guy named Lite_ly Salted on youtube for some vids of the above game. If you want to see it in action.

OkieStubble

My reflexes are not what they used to be and my gaming 'now' is thinking/strategy type games Civilization, Uboat, Kerbal Space Program. Takes me away from the world for a few hours here and there.

FPS? No way, I would take a severe beating by the younger kids with their reflexes and hand eye co-ordination.

Look up a guy named Lite_ly Salted on youtube for some vids of the above game. If you want to see it in action.

FPS Games would be and are the 'perfect simulator' to help and keep your hand/eye reflexes/coordination in peak form. While FPS games are not 'real life.' They are and can be, relatable mental exercises for such. FPS gaming is perfect to then transition to 'Airsoft Gaming' which then is easily transferrable to Firearms Training. :)

FPS Games would be and are the 'perfect simulator' to help and keep your hand/eye reflexes/coordination in peak form. While FPS games are not 'real life.' They are and can be, relatable mental exercises for such. FPS gaming is perfect to then transition to 'Airsoft Gaming' which then is easily transferrable to Firearms Training. :)

I find my range time helps. Training? I have some experience that may translate... Hand eye coordination? Will always suffer with age, nothing you can do about that. Getting old sucks.

OkieStubble

I find my range time helps. Training? I have some experience that may translate... Hand eye coordination? Will always suffer with age, nothing you can do about that. Getting old sucks.

Your old *** needs to come to Oklahoma so you can show me a few things. I might be too old to make it look good, (think Albatross landing) :) But I'm not too old to be interested in learning what you know? :)

Your old *** needs to come to Oklahoma so you can show me a few things. I might be too old to make it look good, (think Albatross landing) :) But I'm not too old to be interested in learning what you know? :)

The noble Albatross is quite graceful while in flight, they spend most of their life on the wing. So yeah they may not be graceful landing but watching one fly is another story !

I can impart some advice and it may be relevant to the original thread. Yes the wisdom of practice with your EDC CCW and not carrying a high end model is sound. @Acmemfg has brought forward a very good subject here.

My advice is this; Physical fitness, ensure that you are at least able to cardiovascular'ly (is this even a word?) maintain a high level for an extended period. Being in shape, in this Country, in today's time, puts you in a much better position. I would have never believed in my youth that a majority of the population would live in such sedentary lives today... That said, self defense encompasses many aspects: situational awareness, physical fitness, hand to hand abilities, proficiency with weapons, this list is extensive and is more than anyone can cover in a single thread.

Second; LEARN a hand to hand art form. This is important (some may not agree, to their own folly IMHO.) it can save your life in a SD situation. They do not teach local LEO's or Soldiers this skill set as common training... Why I have no idea, it just is not taught as much. Just watch the current slew of officer arrests online. A decent understanding and use of hand to hand skills coupled with physical fitness would have resolved those situations much easier. We've all seen the sloppy drunk successfully resisting multiple officers? Nuf said there. It is truly sad that LEO's and Soldiers have to pursue this type of skill on their own time and expense. Even while I served they were going away from these basics. I was fortunate enough to have served in a unit that the Battalion Commander still placed a high emphasis on hand to hand. We learned a form that crossed old school Judo with an early form of IDF Krav Maga. Lots of ground game, with a touch of elbows and knees... As a bonus this type of training contributes to physical fitness !

Lastly remember that criminals are predators, they actively seek the weak. Never appear weak, stand tall, keep your eyes moving, walk with confidence, train your skills, be in the best shape you can at all times.

Post Scriptum: Civilization is always nine meals away from anarchy.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

The noble Albatross is quite graceful while in flight, they spend most of their life on the wing. So yeah they may not be graceful landing but watching one fly is another story !

I can impart some advice and it may be relevant to the original thread. Yes the wisdom of practice with your EDC CCW and not carrying a high end model is sound. @Acmemfg has brought forward a very good subject here.

My advice is this; Physical fitness, ensure that you are at least able to cardiovascular'ly (is this even a word?) maintain a high level for an extended period. Being in shape, in this Country, in today's time, puts you in a much better position. I would have never believed in my youth that a majority of the population would live in such sedentary lives today... That said, self defense encompasses many aspects: situational awareness, physical fitness, hand to hand abilities, proficiency with weapons, this list is extensive and is more than anyone can cover in a single thread.

Second; LEARN a hand to hand art form. This is important (some may not agree, to their own folly IMHO.) it can save your life in a SD situation. They do not teach local LEO's or Soldiers this skill set as common training... Why I have no idea, it just is not taught as much. Just watch the current slew of officer arrests online. A decent understanding and use of hand to hand skills coupled with physical fitness would have resolved those situations much easier. We've all seen the sloppy drunk successfully resisting multiple officers? Nuf said there. It is truly sad that LEO's and Soldiers have to pursue this type of skill on their own time and expense. Even while I served they were going away from these basics. I was fortunate enough to have served in a unit that the Battalion Commander still placed a high emphasis on hand to hand. We learned a form that crossed old school Judo with an early form of IDF Krav Maga. Lots of ground game, with a touch of elbows and knees... As a bonus this type of training contributes to physical fitness !

Lastly remember that criminals are predators, they actively seek the weak. Never appear weak, stand tall, keep your eyes moving, walk with confidence, train your skills, be in the best shape you can at all times.

Post Scriptum: Civilization is always nine meals away from anarchy.

Great post! Most Law Enforcement, at least the kind where you are jumping fences in the middle of the night and all the high speed low drag stuff, is a young man's sport. This is why police academies are full of young men. :) Not that us old guys shouldn't be in shape and stay that way. When I was a young up and comer, I practiced a form of jujitsu slash bar fighting for quite a few years. :)

Top Bottom