What's new

Point me in the right direction

I've been wanting to try a straight razor for a while now. Have read up and watched videos on YouTube. Can anyone tell me where to buy a real ready to shave razor? If possible I'd like the whole kit but I will piece it together if need be.

Obviously I am unable to hone, sharpen or strop but I am a very experienced knife sharpener so it is one skill I'd like to train. However I do believe the advice it's better to learn them separately to save on wash cloths.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@SinDefiant, knowing your location and budget would help a lot in advising you.

This may be a starter for you:

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I recommend that you get two SRs; one that is truly shave-ready and another to lean stropping and honing with. Budget on about US$100 and up (including shipping) for the shave-ready and US$20 and up (including shipping) for the learning SR. You don't want to mess up your shave-ready edge while learning to strop.

You will also need a leather strop. For that you will need to budget from about US$12 and up (including shipping). I suggest that you get two strops as it is likely that you will cut at least your first strop up while learning. (I cut my first two up.)

Here are your instructions on how to SR shave:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Don't worry about learning to hone your SRs yet. First priority should be stropping and then shaving. Your shave-ready SR should be good for 50 to 100 or more shaves, if your stropping technique is reasonable.

Forget what you know about knife sharpening. SR honing is a different ballgame. A good place to start is here:

The linked threads are a long read but full of wisdom.

@SinDefiant, knowing your location and budget would help a lot in advising you.

This may be a starter for you:
I'm from northeast Oklahoma, budget is 200 maybe a little more if it will save me more later. I'm getting started on the literature now haha, I went to the buy sell trade forum but wasn't allowed to post or reply. I couldn't figure out how to pm.

I'm from northeast Oklahoma, budget is 200 maybe a little more if it will save me more later. I'm getting started on the literature now haha, I went to the buy sell trade forum but wasn't allowed to post or reply. I couldn't figure out how to pm.
You haven’t been a member long enough yet to post a private message though I believe someone can pm you

Im having the same problem, not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I joined 3 years ago, have posted the 10 times but still can’t reply in the buy and sell or start a private conversation.

Im having the same problem, not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I joined 3 years ago, have posted the 10 times but still can’t reply in the buy and sell or start a private conversation.
I think there is a minimum number of posts before you can send private messages although i think you can receive if someone initiates to you. Same fir BST

Thanks for the info, that’s great, I did manage to figure it out, I come to the site a lot to read some of the forums, but I don’t always remember to login.

Top Bottom