What's new

Pocket Watches

Where is a good place to buy pocket watches ?

Anyone here use pocket watches?

What kind of feedback have you gotten on pocket watches?

I have one of my great grandfather's pocket watches that he wore in the 1920's. I have never worn it but it is a beautiful piece. I think if was going to want to wear/buy a pocket watch I would look for a vintage piece.

I have a very nice mechanical one from Scotland. (Un)fortunately, it was a present so I can't tell you were it came from.

I just recently received my Great Grandfathers Waltham pocket watch. It still runs and according to the serial number inside it was made in 1898.

I have one from each of my grandfathers. They only come out when I am in my suit, but I quit wearing watches when I started carrying a phone.

I have some of my grandfather's and great grandfathers. I have to find them. I think vintage is the only way to go also!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rock:
I'd go vintage /antique (with known history/year by serial # and # of jewels [16 or more]), too! :thumbsup:

I would look for a reputable watch dealer, watch repair and/or jeweler shops that have been in the business for years. These types of establishments would have the knowledge and expert advice for all types of time pieces (new, used & vintage), and maybe have some watches for sale.

Also, many reputable antique shops with will most likely have a display case of pocket watches (besides wrist watches). These types of shops should have a great return policy (while you get the watch checked out by a reputable watch repair shop), if they don't...skip them and go on to the next shop (call first to confirm).

Read More: Pocket Watches

Here's my 1936 Longines 14K Pocket Watch (engraved with my full name, birth date and the quote..."A Wrist Watch merely tells Time...a Pocket Watch tells a Story." ). :lol1:

full

My Pocket Watch attached to a 14K Double Chain (Prince Albert), w/ a 14K small engraved (CBJ), pocket knife (to cut my cigars). The chain has four (4) Catholic Charms (plus a horse shoe for good luck), attached and has a Catholic 'Mustard Seed' as the Watch Fob.

proxy.php
"[A pocket watch tells a story which is akin to the past and future]...which everyone reaches at a rate of 60 minutes an hour". Unknown Author

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rock:
I also have a very nice 1888 Elgin G.M. Wheeler pocket watch. This watch is a size 18 (a big & heavy watch [Winston Churchill 'turnip' size] :letterk1:), and measures 53mm across the front and the dial plate is 45mm across.

This watch comes in a Dueber 14K gold-filled hunter case, boxed hinges and is quite heavy. The movement serial number is 3134172, is stem wind & lever set, 15 jewels, recently serviced and great runs 'like a charm'!

I sometimes use this 'heavy-weight' as my everyday watch! :thumbsup:

Pocket Watch.jpg
Pocket Watch - 3.jpg
Pocket Watch - 2.jpg
Pocket Watch - 1.jpg

proxy.php
"A wrist watch merely tells Time...a pocket watch tells a Story". Pocket Watch Proverb

Last edited:
I used to have a few and carried a Hamilton 992 circa 1931 IIRC for years. I had a couple of other 992s as well, and an Illinois 'Bun Special' with a 60 hour movement. These are all railroad certified. I lost interest and sold them years ago. I've recently entertained carrying a PW again, but were I to buy one now it would be this Seiko. Doesn't have the same mojo as a vintage Hamilton 992, but it works and little to no upkeep, and reasonably priced.

My great-grandfather was a conductor on the Santa Fe railway, and I have his Waltham pocket watch that is branded with "Santa Fe" on the dial. A watchmaker and I spent an hour trying to figure out who actually made it, and we finally identified it by its bridge. It was a pretty interesting hour.

Well, I have three.

1. Grandpa's - a Waltham Model 1894 - the movement dates to 1908. Does not run accurately but it does run. My mos cherished watch. It was given to me in the early 1970's when I was in Junior High. It wasn't accurate then.
2. Westclox hunter style in a pewter gray color. Kind of cheap/inexpensive. Runs accurately. I bought it new in the 1970's.
3. Pencron hunter style including knife fob and chain. Swiss Made. Fairly inexpensive when I bought it new in the late 70's or early 80's. Also runs accurately. All three are mechanical.

I don't often use/wear them as I don't have the proper attire for them. I have done the pants pocket thing and don't care for it. I would probably still wear a wrist watch anyway.

My great-grandfather was a conductor on the Santa Fe railway, and I have his Waltham pocket watch that is branded with "Santa Fe" on the dial. A watchmaker and I spent an hour trying to figure out who actually made it, and we finally identified it by its bridge. It was a pretty interesting hour.
Very cool.

For sure a classic vintage model. Many reputable dealers online with warranties...Mine is a Hamilton Traffic Special......

I have a quartz one, but after it went through two new batteries in a little over two years I stopped feeding it.

I have a few vintage mechanical ones (no pictures at work), but I only carry one of them. I can't recall at the moment if it's rolled gold or gold filled, but it's a handsome piece all the same. Generally it only sees my pocket when I'm wearing a suit, which is a handful of times a year.

I have not read all the posts so if this is repetitive forgive me. I to have recently gotten interest in serious pocket watches. I had a couple of battery ones in grade and I received a modern mechanical Chinese movement when I graduated high school a few years back. I have started to wear my mechanical pocket watch and I wanted upgrade the watch and get a hunter case. So what I did was talk to my step grandfather who collects clocks and is decently knowledgeable about watches. Over the course of a couple hours we talked about what to look for and what to buy.

A synopsis of that conversation would be;
1. Buy a size 16 watch, size 18's are just a little too big
2. Buy vintage, I mentioned looking at Tissots and he asked vintage or modern. The answer was modern his reply was no one has made a better movement then the U.S. railroad watches.
3. Make sure that the watch does not have any rust/water damage.
4. Buy a U.S. railroad watch such as Illinios, Waltham, Hamilton or Elgin.
5. Avoid really old pocket watches, usually the ones with the fancy cases, a partial back plate to the movement, and low jewel count. The reason they don't keep time well and are difficult if not impossible to service.
6. Avoid a watch that has been serviced a lot, most people only took their watch to be serviced when it needed it. So if it has been serviced a lot it means the watch has issues.
7. Buy a watch that has a movement that can still be serviced e.g. Hamilton 992B.
8. Generally you will want something in the 20+ jewel (J) range though 16+ J is acceptable.
9. Go with a gold filled over a gold plated case, gold filled is more durable.
10. Avoid any watch with a chipped/cracked dial face, even small cracks.

Outside of that case and dial style is personal preference. What I decided to do was wait until local clock collector meet, which also includes a good number of pocket watches to go and look at them in person.

I have not read all the posts so if this is repetitive forgive me. I to have recently gotten interest in serious pocket watches. I had a couple of battery ones in grade and I received a modern mechanical Chinese movement when I graduated high school a few years back. I have started to wear my mechanical pocket watch and I wanted upgrade the watch and get a hunter case. So what I did was talk to my step grandfather who collects clocks and is decently knowledgeable about watches. Over the course of a couple hours we talked about what to look for and what to buy.

A synopsis of that conversation would be;
1. Buy a size 16 watch, size 18's are just a little too big
2. Buy vintage, I mentioned looking at Tissots and he asked vintage or modern. The answer was modern his reply was no one has made a better movement then the U.S. railroad watches.
3. Make sure that the watch does not have any rust/water damage.
4. Buy a U.S. railroad watch such as Illinios, Waltham, Hamilton or Elgin.
5. Avoid really old pocket watches, usually the ones with the fancy cases, a partial back plate to the movement, and low jewel count. The reason they don't keep time well and are difficult if not impossible to service.
6. Avoid a watch that has been serviced a lot, most people only took their watch to be serviced when it needed it. So if it has been serviced a lot it means the watch has issues.
7. Buy a watch that has a movement that can still be serviced e.g. Hamilton 992B.
8. Generally you will want something in the 20+ jewel (J) range though 16+ J is acceptable.
9. Go with a gold filled over a gold plated case, gold filled is more durable.
10. Avoid any watch with a chipped/cracked dial face, even small cracks.

Outside of that case and dial style is personal preference. What I decided to do was wait until local clock collector meet, which also includes a good number of pocket watches to go and look at them in person.

Very good advice thanks

Thank you to everyone that responded. I'm new to pocket watches and love wrist watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom