What's new

Pocket Watch

Does anyone use a Pocket Watch. I did for sometime, a new one I bought in Kohls, nothing special obviously. Any preference to pocket versus wrist. I am not a jewelery guy, not even a wedding ring so it kind of worked for me.

even though I love wrist watches. I have an old Hamilton that belonged to my grandfather but it just sits in my watch box.

I keep wanting to get something like this to display it on my desk.

As an aside, vintage pocket watches are much more affordable than vintage wrist watches so you can get pretty good deals on them. Some are truly beautiful with nice cases and gorgeous movements.

Does anyone use a Pocket Watch. I did for sometime, a new one I bought in Kohls, nothing special obviously. Any preference to pocket versus wrist. I am not a jewelery guy, not even a wedding ring so it kind of worked for me.

Last edited:
I have three pocket watches of which two are older and have family history. I only have worn them on special occasions.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I like pocket watches but they aren't really practical for me. They still are however really cool and I have to agree on the above post about vlaue compaired to wrist watches.

That's funny. I am exactly the same about jewelry. It always feels constrictive when you are wearing something. My wife does not like the fact that I don't like to wear a wedding ring even though I offered to get a tattoo on my ring finger instead. I do wear a watch but it was given to me by my son for fathers day and I don't have the heart to not wear it.

I have several pocket watches. My best one is a nice Hamilton 992 Railroad watch. Also have several other antique jobs such as Waltham and a very old English one and a few fairly modern ones. I quite like one Chinese pocket watch with a picture of Chairman Mao on the face I picked up somewhere!

I use them a lot when I'm out playing my melodeon for the morris, pub sessions and ceilidh gigs. I find a wrist watch always gets caught on the bass end strap of the squeezebox and if I wear it on the right hand it gets too tight when I'm playing owing to the angle of my wrist.

They all keep excellent time and only the Hamilton has had any work done on it as the mainspring broke a few years ago. There is an excellent old fashioned watchmaker here in Cheltenham who fixed it for a very small fee!

Gareth

I have several pocketwatches, but have never carried one. They're great deals, though. One of the old railroad-approved models has superior workmanship to most modern wristwatches. I especially like ones from Ball, Elgin, Hamilton, Waltham, and Illinois.

I have and do carry a pocket watch. A solid nickel Hamilton 972 Railroad Grade watch made in 1919 and carried by a Firemen then Engineer on the Milwaulkee Road. I favor Railroad grade mainly from my model train hobby but also because they have character.

Here's the deal, if you want exacting time then a modern quartz is for you. No care, no maintenance, no winding. A Railroad watch needs to be wound daily and maintained. It is a special timepiece, I wouldn't change for the world.

Mike

I've got my grandfather's pocket watch which I do wear from time to time, even though it just feels out of place. It's silver with floral pattern along the edges, and I just tend to wear jeans. There's something about it that hooks me (and my girlfriend). I also have my great grandfather's pocket watch, but it's in need of much repair. It's gold in color, but it's missing the chain and the glass and it doesn't wind. I intend to take it to a jeweler in the future because it looks much too nice to just leave on the dresser. Both of them are Elgin.

I have two vintage pocket watches. Here is a Swiss Cortebert watch that was made for the Turkish Railroad back in the 50's.
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been collecting vintage pocketwatches for many years. I probably have about 40 of them. I carry a mint Hamilton 950 with me everyday. You can't get that kind of workmanship in modern watches period no matter how much you pay.

If you have one and need to send it out for repair just make sure it is someone who specializes in vintage and antique watches. Often times they need parts and the average watch repairer even if your lucky to have a competent one will not have the vast store of old watches and parts needed.

I just got a new pocket watch, it's made by a resonably well known company, and it has a very, very complex movemnt. Just kidding, it's an iPhone.

I understand loving watches, I collect them (much to my wife's chagrin). I really can't understand the pocket watch thing though. When I read Gman's origional post my initial reaction was, "Don't you have a cell phone?" Let's face it they all have clocks on them these days. Making a pocketwatch obsolete... except for the asthetics, which I admit are nice.

Mike

Love the pocketwatch. An elegant and amazing piece of timekeeping that no cell phone accessory can match.
Here are two of mine-
A Waltham
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

An Elgin
proxy.php

As has already been said, make sure those pocketwatches are properly serviced.
:001_smile

I just got a new pocket watch, it's made by a resonably well known company, and it has a very, very complex movemnt. Just kidding, it's an iPhone.

I understand loving watches, I collect them (much to my wife's chagrin). I really can't understand the pocket watch thing though. When I read Gman's origional post my initial reaction was, "Don't you have a cell phone?" Let's face it they all have clocks on them these days. Making a pocketwatch obsolete... except for the asthetics, which I admit are nice.

Mike

Mike, you make a very good and pragmatic observation. Most young people today use their cell phones to tell time. However, IMHO, anyone who is attracted to a pocket watch is more idealistic. A pocket watch is a precision tuned machine and I find myself in awe of how intricate the works really are. The fact that all of these mechanical parts are working together to produce accurate time is a thing of beauty and a toast to man's ability. For me that is the attraction.

I've been collecting vintage pocketwatches for many years. I probably have about 40 of them. I carry a mint Hamilton 950 with me everyday. You can't get that kind of workmanship in modern watches period no matter how much you pay.

If you have one and need to send it out for repair just make sure it is someone who specializes in vintage and antique watches. Often times they need parts and the average watch repairer even if your lucky to have a competent one will not have the vast store of old watches and parts needed.

Chris is exactly what you're looking for.

Mike

Mike, you make a very good and pragmatic observation. Most young people today use their cell phones to tell time. However, IMHO, anyone who is attracted to a pocket watch is more idealistic. A pocket watch is a precision tuned machine and I find myself in awe of how intricate the works really are. The fact that all of these mechanical parts are working together to produce accurate time is a thing of beauty and a toast to man's ability. For me that is the attraction.

I don't disagree with that, it is precisely why I wear and collect watches. Just like their are people dedicated to DE and others who like Straights. No offense intended, just making myself smile.

Speaking of being in awed by the artistry of watches...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b_RzAs9eEI

My sausage fingers would destroy it in two seconds. :wink2:

Mike

I think pocket watches are way classier than any wristwatch. Also, feeling the weight of time in your pocket is such an unique sensation...

I'd like to buy a vintage Patek Philippe, but it is too expensive for me (ca. 10 grands) - however cheaper than most top watches available out there.

Good information in this thread already...pocket watches, hmmm. They're like that saying about Harleys. If you have to ask, you don't understand.

As my avatar implies, I like pocket watches. Although I use wristwatches most days, my first love is really the old pocket watch.

As already stated, vintage pocket watches can be had for some great deals considering the quality.

My advice: anybody interested in them should look at American railroad watches first (Like the Hamilton 992 and 992B and Waltham Vanguard, etc.)

The Hamiltons are especially well regarded in the 'consistently high quality' department, and parts seem a little easier to source for them compared to some of the others.

My two "carry" pocket watches are a Hamilton 992 and 992B. A 950 would be nice but I just haven't gotten around to one yet. :biggrin1:

You can't really go wrong with a good Hamilton 992 or later 992B. :thumbup1:

Here's a good choice for a "carry" pocket watch: a 1951 992B movement fitted in a NOS model 15 stainless case with a NOS, replacement dial. Virtually "like new" watch with a movement that is made of "unobtanium" in terms of quality in today's market.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom