What's new

Pocket Gun Suggestions

I occasionally pocket carry a Kahr CM9, which is reasonably comfortable, unobtrusive and reliable once it has a couple hundred rounds through it. I mostly shoot 9mm Glocks, so the CM9 was an easy choice -- at least until I find a single-stack 9mm Glock, like a slimmed-down 26. But as sfeile notes above, pocket carry can be hard to master. A good pocket holster is a must. And given the size of these guns, they can be a little snappy, especially with +p or +p+ ammunition.

I carry one of the little S&W Ti Lite's ( cannot remember model number) in a hammerless, double action model only. No hammer to hang up in pocket. It's rated for +p ammo but is so light that stuff hurts to shoot, so I just stick with standard 38 spc 125 gr hollowpoints.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Depends on your definition of actual pocket gun. In these modern times it's usually one that is considerably smaller than the early 20th century definition. Like my .40 AMT DAO, next to my Walther TPH .22.

attachment.php

A couple of years ago :)lol:) a pocket pistol was somewhat along the size of my Dad's Orties .32, that I sometimes carry in a pocket when I wear casual Dockers or such...for when I'm not carrying a gun. :laugh:

proxy.php

Back in the '20s and '30s a pocket gun by today's definition sizewise would only be a .25 auto, such as this Colt 1908 hammerless .25 below a 1903 Colt .32.

proxy.php

I prefer the power of my AMT .40, and it fits just fine in the front pocket of jeans, but sometimes it's a bit heavy and I will still stick my TPH in my pocket.

A small .380 with some Buffalo Bore ammo would be much better than my TPH though, but I don't have one...at this time.

I have been looking for a 1st gen. Detective Special though...just for grins.

If you carried those guns in the pics in your pocket, you must be a really big dude! :) Those older 'all steel' guns of yesterday are so heavy in the pocket, my pants would sag way too low without a belt. My definition of a pocket gun, would be to carry it in an 'actual' pocket. I can't see this being successfully done with the newer 9mm mini guns.

I really like the 9mm Shield and have considered getting one. I just can't justify it, if I have to carry it in the waist band. Might as well put my Glock 19 in my waistband.

A pocket gun is just that. And the .380 with the newer modern ammo is perfectly fine for what it is designed for. Small, up close and personal, when a larger gun cannot be carried. I don't get some of the .380 naysayers. In most CCW confrontations, further than 10 yards is probably murder.

Empty a 7 round magazine of .380 into an attacker at 7 yards and ask them how their feeling. Surely it was big enough for Tupac & Biggie? Also, what's with people talking about .380 blowback and non tilting barrels and stronger recoil? My Ruger LCP .380 has a tilting barrel, and the recoil is no more or harder to manage than any other gun I own. I can place 7 rounds at 15 yards in a group the size of my fist with very small and rudimentary sights.

People over think 'self defense'. It's not about the caliber, it's about the situation. Shot placement is everything. Shoot until the threat has stopped. No matter what you are carrying. If you plan on hanging out in the hood, take a big caliber. If your just running to 7-11 in your pajamas at midnight for a slushy? Throw a .380 in your pocket.

Trust me, situational awareness and discretion of who you are and what you are capable of is your biggest and most important weapon. Not the size of the bullet you carry.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If you carried those guns in the pics in your pocket, you must be a really big dude! :)

I'm not very big at all. When I bought the AMT it was between that and a baby Glock as I was carrying a Glock 22 as a duty weapon. I chose the AMT as it was a bit smaller than the baby Glock and had second strike capability. Carried it in left front pants pocket.

The TPH is just a smidgen longer in the barrel than a Taurus TCP and they weigh about the same. TPH is about 11 ounces, a TCP is about 10 ounces I believe, and the AMT is 24 ounces. I do have to cinch up my belt with the AMT though.

Dad's old Ortgies weighs about 21 ounces, and is a bit long for jean carry...I have to wear some type of business casual pants with deeper pockets and a looser drape to carry it well. And with the firing pin and safety design I carry it in condition 3.

Trust me, situational awareness and discretion of who you are and what you are capable of is your biggest and most important weapon. Not the size of the bullet you carry.

Truer words were never spoken.

Very true, and you have to consider why you are carrying. For most who carry concealed, it is purely for self defense - up close and person a .380 with premium hollow point ammo can be effective, particularly in the facial triangle. For an LEO, who might pursue and engage a lethal threat like in the Utah mall shooting, you will probably wish you had something bigger.

Gary Ferguson, A roommate and coworker of mine witnessed a homicide in broad daylight Sarasota Fl 1987. He chased down the perps and engaged in a gun battle, the killer flanked him and wound up on top of Gary and tried shooting him in the face. Gary turned his head and avoided one bullet, although the concussion from the muzzle blast screwed his inner ear up badly. Gary slipped a finger behind the suspect's trigger which prevented the gun from firing. The killer squeezed so hard he crushed Gary's finger. In the meantime, Gary was able to get his gun into the killers midsection and fired a fatal shot from his .357. Afterwards, Gary told us that in that gunfight he wanted the BIGGEST gun he could possibly have and the most ammo. That always stuck with me. It isn't always the easiest to carry, but I carry my 3" .45 Auto and two spare 8 round magazines virtually everywhere I go.

OkieStubble

Very true, and you have to consider why you are carrying. For most who carry concealed, it is purely for self defense - up close and person a .380 with premium hollow point ammo can be effective, particularly in the facial triangle. For an LEO, who might pursue and engage a lethal threat like in the Utah mall shooting, you will probably wish you had something bigger.

Gary Ferguson, A roommate and coworker of mine witnessed a homicide in broad daylight Sarasota Fl 1987. He chased down the perps and engaged in a gun battle, .

This story of yours is an excellent example of 'situational awareness' and 'discretion' I agree with your assessment. If you're gonna chase a perp and get into a gunfight, don't take a .380 pocket pistol... :)

Based on some of the suggestions in this thread, it's apparent that I need to buy new pants. Half of the suggestions aren't fitting in MY pockets, unless we're talking about coat pockets or cargo pants.

+1 on the Ruger LCR if you're looking for a revolver. I own the .38 Special, which can accommodate .38 +P. They also over a .357, but I've never held one. My .38 weighs just under a pound when loaded. Ruger has gone to great lengths in perfecting the trigger pull, and it shows. Closed hammer, so worst case scenario you can shoot it through a coat pocket.

If you're not looking for a revolver, Ruger makes the LCP as well (.380). I've shot the LCP, and while I love the size and weight of it, I can't recommend it. The double-action with a long, somewhat finicky trigger pull makes for an uncomfortable shooting experience. Granted, most pistols in this micro format aren't comfortable to shoot compared to their full-size counterpart, but I found the LCP particularly tough on the hand. I know Taurus doesn't excite folks in many circles, but I find the Taurus TCP superior to the LCR. Basically the same size & weight, but the trigger is like night & day compared to the Ruger, making it far more comfortable to shoot.

You can find even smaller pocket-carry pistols than the two I've listed, but you'll most likely be dropping to a .32 or .25 caliber.

OkieStubble

Excellent post Pete. I have small girl hands and have no discomfort problems at all with my LCP. I agree with you on the finicky trigger. However, self defense is not MOA target stuff, it is man sized, in your face, up close and personal. Fast, brutal confrontation.

In that instance, finicky and long pull goes right out the window. If ya think about it, people like the long pull of a revolver for just that reason. I have shot the Ruger LCR and the Taurus TCP. I like them both and they are more than capable to fill that role. I Like the Taurus brand also.

Have you seen or held the Kimber Solo? It looks to be promising. 9mm, small like a .380, but very expensive.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Gary told us that in that gunfight he wanted the BIGGEST gun he could possibly have and the most ammo. That always stuck with me. It isn't always the easiest to carry, but I carry my 3" .45 Auto and two spare 8 round magazines virtually everywhere I go.

Typical popo mentality. :lol:

Somehow though...I think the same way...wonder why?

Don't have a problem with a .380, with modern ammo, for civilian carry now...especially since I don't have to run TO a shots fired call now.

BUT...a gunfight is a gunfight.

BUT...the best gun to have is the one you have with you.

Last edited:
I carry 3 different pocket guns. My favorite is my Boberg XR9s 9mm+p followed by my Beretta .25 Jetfire and finally my .32 NAA Guardian "Guttersnipe".

Many people deride the puny .25 but I'm fairly certain that at conversational distances I can put anyone down with 9 rds....And If I cant, then they are a Dragon.

I thank god I don't have to consider what gun to conceal to go and get groceries or to go out for the evening. It truly boggles my mind. Please don't take offense to what I am saying it is just something I can't wrap my head around.

I thank god I don't have to consider what gun to conceal to go and get groceries or to go out for the evening. It truly boggles my mind. Please don't take offense to what I am saying it is just something I can't wrap my head around.

I personaly don't take offense to that, but I have lived in both extremes. I grew up in rural PA, and then moved just outside of charrlotte NC for a while, now back in PA. In NC, you never knew what could happen. Drugs, alcohol, and robbery all around. Even being aware, there is always a chance for trouble. I was driving one night and had someone jump off the sidewalk in front of me and try to start something. Luckily for me just presenting my 45 was enoughh to end it. And another time I was in the park with my girlfriend playing disk golf, we were being followed at a distnce by four "gentlemen" who eventually started testing out sticks for strength. I took my 45 out, did a press check in plain view and tucked into my waistband. That eneded that s well. In p, I have had to shoot a coyote that attacked my dog while out walking. Its not so much NEEDING to carry for some, but having the option and the added security if the need arises is always comforting.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I don't think anyone is going to take offense. And it's not that bad that EVERYONE has to carry a gun. It's just that some people do...just in case.

Crap happens.

And those that do carry probably won't ever have to use it.

My wife had the same attitude when we started dating. I was a cop and told her what happens that doesn't make the news.

It's just that it's better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

An attorney that I do a ton of work for grew up in Toronto. She now has a Glock 22, but doesn't carry it...at this time. She's never needed it so it stays at home. She is a good shot though...I trained her. :biggrin1:

She does some criminal defense work so there are some "shady" characters that come in the office, and some of them don't like the way their case is going...could that be because they are guilty?

On another note, she has said some things about the cultural differences between Canada and the U.S., and I get her point.

No offense, but here's a comic about the difference between a Mexican standoff and a Canadian standoff:

proxy.php

That being said...there are times now that I don't even have a gun in the car when I go to town for something.

I need to get out of that mindset again...better to have one and not need it....

9k=

9k=

9k=

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I am going to let the above 3 posts stand, they were not against conceal carry, just explaining a cultural difference. Lets end that now and bring the thread back to pocket carry. I don't want it to go South.

Thanks

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have several "pocket" guns but pocket carry is a No Go for me. You can't draw a "pocket" gun from the pocket while sitting or rolling around on the ground in a fight. I want to be able to draw my gun while sitting in a car or a restaurant booth. For me IWB is the only way to go. I'm usually carrying my Kahr PM9 or a S&W J frame with Barahmi hip grips if I'm not carrying something bigger.

I have several "pocket" guns but pocket carry is a No Go for me. You can't draw a "pocket" gun from the pocket while sitting or rolling around on the ground in a fight. I want to be able to draw my gun while sitting in a car or a restaurant booth. For me IWB is the only way to go. I'm usually carrying my Kahr PM9 or a S&W J frame with Barahmi hip grips if I'm not carrying something bigger.

Good points! Cargo pockets work well in that regard, not as easy to draw as an IWB, and an IWB is not as easy as an OWB. There will always be trade offs in terms of concealment and accessibility and speed. We all make the determination what serves our needs best.

Agreed, I saw one in Greentop a year ago, and sometimes you will get lucky and find one at a show. The next show is the weekend of 23-24 at RIR. I think many on this thread are missing what you asked about in your first post a "pocket gun" Suggestions are all over the board away from that haha.

Assuming you go to CSA?
Yes they are, but damn it makes some great reading!

If you are new to cc, I wouldn't reccomend a pocket pistol as your first. This is my opinion, so take it as you see fit, but I would reccomend something a bit larger. Calliber isn't the main issue, but grip and sight radius are. You should look for something that fits your hand well. If you are unable to get a full grip, you will have trouble controlling nd manipulating reloads. (especially for semi-autos.) The key to carrying is to be comfortable enough with your firearm to not have to think about its use. The act of shooting and manipulating it should be second nature, thus you want to practice quite often. A small grip and short sight radius are going to be harder to control and hit with starting out.

When you are looking at and handling firearms, pick a spot on the wall in a safe direction and bring it to a shooting position. Close your eyes, relax, loosen your arms a bit then come back to shooting position. Now open your eyes and look at the sights. You don't need to be on the same point on the wall exactly, but your sights should still be in alignment. If the front sight is to high or to lw, then the grip angle of the firearm doesn't mtch your natural grip angle. Since most instances you may need this outside of practice, you will be under duress, you will be point shooting. You don't want to have something that you have to think about changing your grip to aim properly.

As far as calliber, whatever you feel comfortable with. I personally carry and compete with .40 cal SIG and HK that for me is cotrolable and comfortable. But everyone is different. Some will say bigger is better, but modern ammunition has closed the major gaps between callibers. The best I have heard about this argument is from a Navy SEAL talking about the HK mp5. he said " I know some wil say its only a 9mm, but when I put two in your chest and one in your head, you will not know the difference."

And for carry options. Pocket carry is hard to master. As was stated before, what do you do? What pants do you wear? Is it really neccisary, and/or feasable? These are major things to consider. There are a lot more obstructions to drawing a pocket pistol, and not as safe to do continually in practice to become even remotely proficient at it. Later on down the road, it may not hurt, but for a first carry pistol, I would reccomend something else.

And above all, look for a place to practice and learn. IDPA is good for practice. It is not 100% "real world" but it is still good practice.
This is all just my humble opinion, and whatever you choose, be safe and enjoy.
Great points to tak into consideration for sure!

It DEFINITELY pushes the limits of pocket carry (so I certainly don't recommend it to all), but I love mind so I figured I throw it into the mix... Springfield XDS.

Top Bottom