What's new

Pocket comb for hair pomade

Is there any recommended pocket comb to be used on hair with pomade? Or any comb will do just fine? Like the ones pomade manufacturers offer with their products or sell for cheap. I don’t remember why but I read somewhere metal combs are not recommended.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Any comb will do fine as long as it fits well into your hand and is well suited with your hair style.

Metal combs as far as I was told many, many years ago by my long gone Father, split your hair more, gunked up more and had a tendancy to hurt your head. Cant confirm this as I have no metal combs. At home I use a couple of Kent T9 coupled with a store own brand 'Vent' brush, while for work I have a cheap plastic comb.

I just bought four Kent combs and they are very well made. MUCH better than the drugstore variety. They have a model that is typically what we think of as a mans pocket comb. I think it is model RT7. Could be wrong about that. I wanted to get one when I bought mine but everyone was sold out.

That Suavecito-Kent comb looks super nice but is apparently sold out! Though I suspect that this Kent folding pocket comb is just their 20T model with Suavecito logo printed on it :tongue_sm

While I don't have a pocket comb that I carry every day, I keep a little comb in my desk drawer that works for me. I have an "Indestructable" comb at home that I would carry with me everywhere if I had to. Excellent comb with teeth spaced perfectly for my needs.

I use Ace pocket combs. They are not quite the same as they were back in the day, but they are cheap and work well. I do have a couple Kent combs, which are very nice and feel much better against the scalp, but they slide so easily through the hair that they do not provide enough grip when I am trying to "pomp" up my hair. It may depend on how you style your hair to determine which comb you would like to use.

I like old school Italian mafioso hair style. I would like to do a pomp but I guess I had my hair cut too short, plus I do not know how to style it.

$tumblr_ksrxl4gBGZ1qa2ylwo1_1280.jpg
(This is how I imagine Marco :001_smile)

I like old school Italian mafioso hair style. I would like to do a pomp but I guess I had my hair cut too short, plus I do not know how to style it.

View attachment 522537
(This is how I imagine Marco :001_smile)

This is what I've been rockin' for several years now. Inherited it from my Italian father. As far as combs go, I just used the cheap little black combs my entire life. I'd get a new one each year when we had school pictures, and since I've worked in a school every year since graduating, I've always gotten a new one. About 2 years ago, my fiancé gave me a tortoise shell comb, much like a Kent, that was her grandmother's. This works perfect for me.

I highly recommend that it be a saw cut comb. Kent makes great, hand made, saw cut combs, that can be had for under $12. I prefer fine tooth combs and use a Kent 7T pocket comb. Great little high quality comb!

Ace combs are classics. Plastic now instead of hard rubber, but classic nontheless.
Quick question:
I am tempted to buy a 50s NOS comb said to be made in hard rubber. Is there any technique to know for sure it is real hard rubber and not plastic? Or can I assume, being dated from the 50s, it must be hard rubber?

I use this comb from metalcombworks.com

It works great, but is a bit heavy, made out of stainless steel and all. It is hand polished, so there are no sharp edges anywhere on it. Every edge has a slight, round, polish to it. When I don't carry this comb, I carry an Ace pocket comb, which I also have one in my dopp kit.

$metalcombworks.jpg

I use Ace pocket combs. They are not quite the same as they were back in the day, but they are cheap and work well. I do have a couple Kent combs, which are very nice and feel much better against the scalp, but they slide so easily through the hair that they do not provide enough grip when I am trying to "pomp" up my hair. It may depend on how you style your hair to determine which comb you would like to use.
+1

Top Bottom