What's new

Plymouth Restore

This is a restore of a Plymouth brand brush I purchased on Ebay. I don't know anything about the brand although I have seen a few others.

As in some of my other restores, I had to go deeper than the existing shelf to get the loft I wanted with the knot purchased. I filled the hollow of the handle with epoxy.

The knot is a 22mm Super from Larry Andro (whippeddog) with a 65 mm loft. I've not used yet but I did run a bit of shampoo through it.

I used a pastel oil crayon on the bottom to try to bring back the trademark, etc. I believe it includes a silhouette of the Mayflower. It's hard to see as it's been worn away.

Before and after photos below.

Last edited:
nice.
especially if you are a mopar guy.
"i shaved with my restored plymouth this morning"
that statement would get you a few looks and raised eyebrows at the car meet.

nice.
especially if you are a mopar guy.
"i shaved with my restored plymouth this morning"
that statement would get you a few looks and raised eyebrows at the car meet.

Indeed. Didn't think of that! My first car was a '65 Plymouth Fury. Great car.

It's great to see these old, forsaken, used-up, negelected brushes given a new lease on life. Excellent job...looks terrific!

Any idea on the model number??

Hi Brian,

Not sure if you mean the knot or the handle. As for the knot, Whipped Dog lists as SU22.

I see no model numbers on the handle. There are no markings other than on the bottom. Or, if there were, they've been worn away.

I know the picture of the bottom isn't great, so I'll describe. There is a rendering of a ship (presumably the Mayflower) and the wording:

Plymouth
Sterilized
Set in Rubber
Made in USA

I don't much about Plymouth brushes aside from seeing a few on EBay. So, I'm not sure if they used model numbers or whether it's someplace on the handle that I'm not finding.

Regards,

Last edited:
Thanks Mack...just wondering how to list this in the brush compendium

I see. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Perhaps there will be someone with some knowledge about the company who will chime in. If I happen to pick up any information about it, I'll be happy to pass it along.

Regards,

hows your brush for funk? the su22's my su22 is realy funky still

It was strong at first. Perhaps a bit stronger than other badger knots I've purchased. But no stronger than a horse hair brush I purchased last year.

I've used it for about a week and it's much milder; almost gone. I'd expect the odor to be gone after a few more uses--at least I hope so.

In fairness, Larry did tell me to expect this at the time of the order. Overall, I'd say it's a nice knot, very good looking and a good price.

How long have you been using it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom