What's new

Plumbing Help Needed

I have a 12 year old Crane compression faucet in my bathroom that is leaking hot water along the stem when I turn the water on. It definitely needs new packing.
My problem is I need to remove the hot water handle to get the stem cover off to get to the packing nut and it won't budge.

here is what I tried already.

3 days of Marvel Mystery Oil Penetrant
Hitting lightly with a hammer to loosen
Trying to wiggle it loose

Still the handle is stuck to the stem and wont budge. :cursing:
The brass screw holding the handle was removed easily.

Any suggestions????
:confused::eek::frown::mad::frown::confused:
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::eek::eek:

Maybe pouring some very hot water over it will help. It's probably the only safe way to put heat on it.

Do you have hard water? Maybe 12 years has built up a wicked lime scale? Possibly some vinegar, or CLR would help.

Can you get under it and try to pop it up?

Is there another screw?

"virtually all handles are fixed with a screw, which may be hidden under a decorative cap that can be pried off with a small screwdriver."

From Crane's website.

BTW, I think, not sure, that you don't have packing, as such, probably a "cartridge". A dirty word here, to be sure.

Good luck.

Edit: http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumbingrepair/ss/fau_repair_comp.htm

No actual help for your sitrep but it's otherwise well done

And another excellent site for all kinds of things: www.howstuffworks.com

Last edited:
Is there another screw?

"virtually all handles are fixed with a screw, which may be hidden under a decorative cap that can be pried off with a small screwdriver."

From Crane's website.

BTW, I think, not sure, that you don't have packing, as such, probably a "cartridge". A dirty word here, to be sure.

Good luck.

Edit: http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumbingrepair/ss/fau_repair_comp.htm

No actual help for your sitrep but it's otherwise well done

And another excellent site for all kinds of things: www.howstuffworks.com

Its a standard compression design. The faucet is 1954 circa.
My local ACE has all the parts for some reason though the packages are faded from age.
No hidden screw.
Handle just won't budge3.
Lots of corrosion noted around where the handle and stem meet.

If there is a hex cap under the handle, try removing it and take everything out as a complete assembly. The stem - handle interface should have a slight draft to it. If you can get the whole thing out then either disolve the corrosion, break the handle and replace or replace the whole thing. You may also need a seat.

Its a standard compression design. The faucet is 1954 circa.
My local ACE has all the parts for some reason though the packages are faded from age.
No hidden screw.
Handle just won't budge3.
Lots of corrosion noted around where the handle and stem meet.

'54 model? Sorry, I thought it was about twelve years old, from your first post.

Can you fit an automotive flywheel puller (also a specific plumbing puller available) on it? http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tools.html

+1 on the handle puller, if you have a Home Depot around you it will be in the plumbing tools section. A small gear puller may also work if you have one handy.

+1 on the handle puller, if you have a Home Depot around you it will be in the plumbing tools section. A small gear puller may also work if you have one handy.

Went to ACE Hardware today and bought a puller and compression nut socket.

Last edited:
3 days of apply Marvel Mystery Oil and today go to the faucet again and IT WIGGLED!

Kept wiggling it a bitand it came off smoothly!

I take it that the "compression nut socket" is a longish tube (maybe 5 inches) with a hex at one or both ends and a hole to slip a shaft through in order to turn it. If so, those are used to get the stem out of a shower valve. On showers, the nut is recessed further than a normal deep socket can reach. With a sink, I would expect the cap holding the stem to be out in the open so you could remove it with an open end or cresent type wrench.

I mentioned a seat in one of my posts. If you can see a square or hex hole below where the washer makes contact, that is the seat and can be damaged be the metal of the stem being forced into it.

Good luck. It sounds like you are almost there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom