What's new

Plug cutters

What does everyone do for plug cutters. I’ve been eyeing the vintage cast iron behemoths on the Bay a lot recently. I think it’ll look great in my office. I’ll most probably pull the trigger on one soon. I should probably invest in some plug tobacco too to cut with the plug cutter.

I have been looking at those as well. I have seen one at B&M in Pittsburgh (great shop), I will definitely be getting one. The first one I was asking about sold right before I pulled the trigger, and I've been waiting for the right one at the right price to jump.

I'm sure we will step on each others toes when we buy!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
For a long time I used a Old Hickory Butcher knife. I recently got vintage plug cutter, and it's cool, and provides a consistent slice, but in the end, it does the same thing.

proxy.php

20180912_210621.jpg

Good point, this is what I use today, I just think the antique ones are cool, not sure how practical they would be on a day to day usage

F1ECE402-987A-4835-B24F-59E15364C123.jpeg
View attachment 913943
Good point, this is what I use today, I just think the antique ones are cool, not sure how practical they would be on a day to day usage

Seeing as our current plug cutters are the same (Mine is just sans stickers and hasn’t cut a plug yet) you’re probably right and we will be going after the same vintage unit. Lol.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I should mention so I have an Opinel, a kiridashi and a myriad of other cutting tools for plugs too :).

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
For a long time I used a Old Hickory Butcher knife. I recently got vintage plug cutter, and it's cool, and provides a consistent slice, but in the end, it does the same thing.

proxy.php

I'll see your Old Hickory, and raise you Grandma's Forgecraft. :biggrin1:

Where did you get that vintage plug cutter...flea bay? That interests me.

A bit of Bow-Legged Bear sliced up.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

DSC_0010 (2).JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Mike H has a vintage cutter

Speaking of vintage, and totally off topic, does anyone know what this is? I remember using this when I was about 5 for its intended purpose ...this very one. I have 2 of them from Granddad's farm.

Well, not totally off topic...my best buddy at the left of the photo was sitting out with me when I had a smoke a bit ago.

DSC_0005 (2).JPG

Looks like my other buddy is interested in taking up the pipe...although I'd be a bit hesitant about trying to teach her how to use a plug cutter.

DSC_0002 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Speaking of vintage, and totally off topic, does anyone know what this is? I remember using this when I was about 5 for its intended purpose ...this very one. I have 2 of them from Granddad's farm.

Looks like a milking stool to me...

Not totally off topic as it is actually a smoking accessory. It’s upside down in the picture. When rightside up, it’s used for barbecuing chickens. That unit holds three chickens at a time. Sort of like a cross between the beer can chicken and the cedar plank salmon. Bon Appetit.

Top Bottom