What's new

Plug cutter restore 2

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So I found this for a reasonable price
View attachment 958897
A weekend in the shop, a sandblaster and some paint. A little polishing on the blade and a few passes across a powered water stone. A hunk of Mesquite to add some mass & stability. If I stumble across brass rivets, I'll replace the silver hardware.

View attachment 958898

Inspired by the great job in this post, I ordered a Reading Hardware Company Standard Tobacco Knife off of eBay.
It arrived in a box with 4 plastic bags as packing, and the bumping around broke several cast iron nibs off of it.

1.jpg

Out of the box it looked like this

3.jpg

The seller refunded and said to just toss it. I decided to try a fix.
After a soak in evaporust and a thorough scrubbing, I drilled a hole in the broken tab and the cutter body and put a steel pin in, held in place with JB Weld. I made a nub out of JB Weld on the other broken area.

Wire brushed everything, so it already looks better

20220628_074443[1].png

Started working on the blade. I thought about putting a mirror finish on it, but to get rid of all of the tiny pits would thin the blade too much, so I just cleaned it up.
Before and after.
20220628_065430[1].png
20220629_141356.jpg

Have to let the paint and the JB Weld cure for 48 hours, then I'll reassemble and see if the fix worked!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I have the same cutter at home and need to do a similar overhaul on mine...although I'm not sure that I have the requisite skill to duplicate your work. Truly a fantastic job.

I need to actually replace the blade on mine. I'm still mulling over how exactly to go about doing that. I was thinking of canibalizing a relatively cheap blade for the job, but I don't know.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have the same cutter at home and need to do a similar overhaul on mine...although I'm not sure that I have the requisite skill to duplicate your work. Truly a fantastic job.

I need to actually replace the blade on mine. I'm still mulling over how exactly to go about doing that. I was thinking of canibalizing a relatively cheap blade for the job, but I don't know.
Get a cheap cleaver and cut a blade from it.
Screenshot_20220716-062042_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Top Bottom