What's new

PLS recommend me the best pre-shave cream and/or oil

So, I've been using Proraso pre-shave creams (all 3), since the time they were labeled pre and post shave... always been happy with them, performance wise. At other times I would simply splash a little bit of extra virgin olive oil on my face and rub it gently. That too works just as fine.

And well... I've never tried anything else, so I'm curious as to what you guys use.

Is there a premium/up-market type of pre-shave cream/oil, that is substantially better than say Proraso creams, in terms of performance, providing that sleek glide effect?

As a side-note, my only grievance with Proraso is that I grew tired of their scents and so would like to try smth. different, that possibly performs better, as well.

as pre-shave, try a face wash and light rinse, with just about any glycerin soap.
i rub the bar on whiskers, lather with the brush, then rinse lightly.
leaves really slick surface.

d.r. harris almond merkur feather santa maria novella ach brito glyce january 9 2019.jpg

I usually use a bit of shave soap or cream and apply it on a wet face before I start to lather up as for a stand alone pre shave my favourite is tobs jermyn street preshave gel

Over recent years I have tried a bunch... AoS shave oil mostly in the beginning, Proraso for a few years, and finally ToBS gel... eventually I fell away from them altogether because I found that they made no noticeable difference either during the shave or post shave. AoS tended to clog my razor so that was off the list. Proraso was quite nice to use and the ToBS really was a nothing experience. Toward the end I was only using on my upper lip for my final ATG pass and it really didn't make a difference there either so the mostly used container of ToBS is still in the cabinet unused for several months. A couple of additional details for context. I have a pretty coarse but not terribly dense beard and shave every 3-4 days. I only use Nacet blades for 2 shaves only. I typically shave right after getting out of the shower so my face is nice and moist. If I were forced to pick one that seemed the "best" it would be Proraso.

Over recent years I have tried a bunch... AoS shave oil mostly in the beginning, Proraso for a few years, and finally ToBS gel... eventually I fell away from them altogether because I found that they made no noticeable difference either during the shave or post shave. AoS tended to clog my razor so that was off the list. Proraso was quite nice to use and the ToBS really was a nothing experience. Toward the end I was only using on my upper lip for my final ATG pass and it really didn't make a difference there either so the mostly used container of ToBS is still in the cabinet unused for several months. A couple of additional details for context. I have a pretty coarse but not terribly dense beard and shave every 3-4 days. I only use Nacet blades for 2 shaves only. I typically shave right after getting out of the shower so my face is nice and moist. If I were forced to pick one that seemed the "best" it would be Proraso.
Thanks, I shave after a shower and typically every 3rd or so day, so this sounds familiar. As stated, Proraso works really well, I merely wanted to try smth. else that smells differently.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Hey tnx for that, looks interesting. Is this OPR soap actually a gel?

It's slightly thicker than olive oil...best I can describe it. Lots of oils in it. I have the Bay Rum scent, but I wouldn't rave about the scent...nothing to write home about. It is slick though. Ingredients listing:

OPR Soap Ingredients.jpg

Pre shave creams have little effect on my tough whiskers. I find Clarin's Men Shave Ease Oil and T&H Pre shave Oil more effective and efficient. These two oils are also light and won't clog your razor, or mess up your sink with scum, as some of the heavier, and less expensive pre shave oils on the market

Last edited:
Pre shave creams have little effect on my tough whiskers. I find Clarin's Ease Shave and T&H Pre shave Oil more effective and efficient. These two oils are also light and won't clog your razor, or mess up your sink, as some of the heavier, and less expensive pre shave oils on the market
Thanks!

I shave with a SR, so razor clogging is a non-issue.

I used to use a pre-shave oil religiously before each and every shave. I started with Art of Shaving's sandalwood pre-shave oil but found it to be too thick and it would leave a pretty noticeable residue on my sink which made me wonder where else it was collecting. I then started using J.S. Sloane sandalwood pre shave oil which was less thick. I'd say that posts on the subject among the various shave forums I am on are evenly split between saying they help and those that say they do nothing. So I used an oil for about 3 years. Then somewhat recently, maybe 6 months ago I thought I'd stop using it to see if I could notice any difference in my shaves. Now after not using it for quite some time and then using it again on a one off basis I have come to the conclusion that the pre shave oil has no impact on the quality of my shaves. And given how I spend time really working the lather into my beard which probably causes any pre shave oil to be spread around and encompassed by the shaving lather I doubt there is much left on the surface of my face when I actually take a blade to my beard. Therefore, I no longer use it. I find it is a waste of time and money. And that stuff is expensive. If I were to continue to use it however, I would make my own. But since I see no benefit in it, that ain't happening. YMMV.

I used to use a pre-shave oil religiously before each and every shave. I started with Art of Shaving's sandalwood pre-shave oil but found it to be too thick and it would leave a pretty noticeable residue on my sink which made wonder where else it was collecting. I then started using J.S. Sloane sandalwood pre shave oil which was less thick. I'd say that posts on the subject among the various shave forums I am on are evenly split between saying they help and those that say they do nothing. So I used an oil for about 3 years. Then somewhat recently, maybe 6 months ago I thought I'd stop using it to see if I could notice any difference in my shaves. Now after not using it for quite some time and then using it again on a one off basis I have come to conclusion that the pre shave oil has no impact on the quality of my shaves. And given how I spend time really working the lather into my beard which probably causes any pre shave oil to be spread around and encompassed by the shaving lather I doubt there is much left on the surface of my face when I actually take a blade to my beard. Therefore, I no longer use it. I find it is a waste of time and money. And that stuff is expensive. If I were to continue to use it however, I would make my own. But since I see no benefit in it, that ain't happening. YMMV.
Given I face lather extensively, I guess you're probably right. Thanks for an elaborated sum up.

Top Bottom