What's new

PLS recommend a set-up for a 16-year-old first time shaver

For younger skin and first time DE shaver, I would recommend (based on my previous experiences)

PREP - Good quality sensitive face wash with no fragrance/parfum in the ingredients, not a face scrub. Prepping and 'degreasing' youthful skin would definitely be beneficial for a smooth clean shave.

RAZOR - Merkur 34C or EJ DE89 or Muhle R89. These are the best entry level razors in the market. If you get the Feather popular, you will definitely want to get one of the above after a few shaves. It has a cheaper feel due the plastic handle

SHAVE SOAP/CREAM - I would suggest a easy to lather and slick cream like Proraso white or Geo F Trumper Coconut (more expensive).

AFTERSHAVE - I would suggest an alum block to the shaved areas and rinse, then toner to entire face and let dry, then an AS balm to the shaved areas. The alum disinfects and seals any cuts. The Thayers witch hazel toners are great as it's not distilled with alcohol and it prepares the skin ready for a balm. A good AS balm for youthful skin would be Proraso white aloe and vitamin E. Wouldn't recommend anything with alcohol as it just dries the skin making it more acne prone.

MOISTURISER - I would suggest to apply moisturiser in the T-zone where there wasn't any AS balm applied. Look for a 'sensitive' product without fragrance/parfum in the ingredients.

On non-shave days, I would definitely suggest using the above face wash, toner, moisturiser.

Youthful skin can be delicate as it's more acne prone and I would strongly suggest 'sensitive' range of products.

If I could go back a decade (or two) and if these products were all readily available to me, then I would have definitely started with the above routine.

Cheers.
Sorry forgot to add: a good blade would be Wilkinson Sword. 8/10 sharpness. You don't want something too sharp like Feather as a beginner. You also don't want something less sharp like Astra. A sharper blade will give a cleaner cut with less passes etc. A less sharp blade will require more passes possibly causing irritations.

For younger skin and first time DE shaver, I would recommend (based on my previous experiences)

PREP - Good quality sensitive face wash with no fragrance/parfum in the ingredients, not a face scrub. Prepping and 'degreasing' youthful skin would definitely be beneficial for a smooth clean shave.

RAZOR - Merkur 34C or EJ DE89 or Muhle R89. These are the best entry level razors in the market. If you get the Feather popular, you will definitely want to get one of the above after a few shaves. It has a cheaper feel due the plastic handle

SHAVE SOAP/CREAM - I would suggest a easy to lather and slick cream like Proraso white or Geo F Trumper Coconut (more expensive).

AFTERSHAVE - I would suggest an alum block to the shaved areas and rinse, then toner to entire face and let dry, then an AS balm to the shaved areas. The alum disinfects and seals any cuts. The Thayers witch hazel toners are great as it's not distilled with alcohol and it prepares the skin ready for a balm. A good AS balm for youthful skin would be Proraso white aloe and vitamin E. Wouldn't recommend anything with alcohol as it just dries the skin making it more acne prone.

MOISTURISER - I would suggest to apply moisturiser in the T-zone where there wasn't any AS balm applied. Look for a 'sensitive' product without fragrance/parfum in the ingredients.

On non-shave days, I would definitely suggest using the above face wash, toner, moisturiser.

Youthful skin can be delicate as it's more acne prone and I would strongly suggest 'sensitive' range of products.

If I could go back a decade (or two) and if these products were all readily available to me, then I would have definitely started with the above routine.

Cheers.
I appreciate your truly elaborated and detailed recommendations, great read. Thank you!

That said, the purchase has been long but made and this is the combo I opted for: PLS recommend a set-up for a 16-year-old first time shaver - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/pls-recommend-a-set-up-for-a-16-year-old-first-time-shaver.596029/post-10927207

I can report back that it's been an all-round great purchase.

Sorry forgot to add: a good blade would be Wilkinson Sword. 8/10 sharpness. You don't want something too sharp like Feather as a beginner. You also don't want something less sharp like Astra. A sharper blade will give a cleaner cut with less passes etc. A less sharp blade will require more passes possibly causing irritations.
Which is exactly the blade that comes with the razor 😊

Last edited:
I think you have come up with a great starter kit. Look at Palmolive, Proraso, Lea, and Portuguese creams like Lavanda, Mogno, O Melhor, etc.
Thanks.

He likes the TOBS cream I've got him and given he "needs" to shave about once/week, it's gonna be a LOOOONG time before I need to look into any additional shaving software for him. Besides, he can always try/use some of mine 😊

Top Bottom