What's new

Plotlines and/or characters that should have been left on the cutting room floor

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yes, I give you that, super cute. Not cute enough to get hooked up with Butch IMO. Cuter in some other movie in some other role.
You have a point.
3671FC16-5B1C-4832-859E-53B71038B45A.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
They could have gotten rid of all of the characters and dialogue in 'Unfaithful' and concentrated solely on the action taking place during those weekday afternoon rendezvous Diane Lane had in the French guy's apartment.

I was going to be snarky and say the J.J. Abrams reboots of Star Trek and Star Wars, but I'll go with something I like.

Data in Star Trek Picard. There was a fair bit wrong with Star Trek Picard, but it's pretty obvious Brent Spiner doesn't like acting in Star Trek. In the future producers should resist the urge to try to get him to return.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
They would not have to so much remove the Mr Yonioshi character from Breakfast at Tiffany's, just recast it. Watching Mickey Rooney in this makes me cringe.

Also, big fan of both Peter Falk and Wings of Desire, but I feel Falk's appearance in Wings of Desire just kind of threw things off.

I'd love to erase the Yonioshi role. It makes no sense at all and throws things off in the wrong way, and "cringe" is grossly understating my reaction.

Falk, on the other hand, really throws Wings of Desire off in the right way. Yeah, it's weird, but it's a good weird.

Quentin Tarantino inserting himself into the role of Jimmy in Pulp Fiction. Might as well double up and add SNL alum Julia Sweeney as “The Wolf’s” girlfriend. Come to think of it Maria de Madeiros (Butch’s girlfriend) and her blueberry pancakes round out this trifecta of miscast misfits. I see a possible thread emerging.
I am big QT and Pulp Fiction fan. I do not pretend to understand everything about PF, but I do not think I would make any of those changes. I have read criticism of the Jimmy character before, but for one thing I think it is important that QT appear in the movie as an homage to Hitchcock. MDM brings a human element to Butch. Julia Sweeney does not seem as crucial, but seems more a palate cleaner than a distraction.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I am big QT and Pulp Fiction fan. I do not pretend to understand everything about PF, but I do not think I would make any of those changes. I have read criticism of the Jimmy character before, but for one thing I think it is important that QT appear in the movie as an homage to Hitchcock. MDM brings a human element to Butch. Julia Sweeney does not seem as crucial, but seems more a palate cleaner than a distraction.
I’m a big fan of QT’ s movies, Pulp Fiction included. He’s a really good director. He likes to act sometimes in his own movies. I just think there are better actors to be cast in the roles he has played. His choice. Most of the casting I think is spot on, interesting and bold choices. An homage to Hitchcock could be had in a more clever way by QT without a performance if that’s his intention IMO. Not sure what MDM brought to Pulp Fiction, but I didn't see the chemistry in that relationship. Maybe Julia Sweeney could have brought out the human element to Butch? Save MDM for the palate.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Not sure what MDM brought to Pulp Fiction, but I didn't see the chemistry in that relationship.

It doesn't make sense unless you put it in the context of the film, which is to evoke those pulp stories. It was not at all uncommon to have some brutish, male protagonist coupled with an absurdly sensuous and exotic, yet also innocent and virtually juvenile woman. MdM portrays that to a T. It's not about chemistry or love story or bringing out the human element in Butch. It's about male fantasy and how that was portrayed in those pulp novellas, and Tarantino nailed it.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
It doesn't make sense unless you put it in the context of the film, which is to evoke those pulp stories. It was not at all uncommon to have some brutish, male protagonist coupled with an absurdly sensuous and exotic, yet also innocent and virtually juvenile woman. MdM portrays that to a T. It's not about chemistry or love story or bringing out the human element in Butch. It's about male fantasy and how that was portrayed in those pulp novellas, and Tarantino nailed it.
I think there could be other choices for absurdly sensuous and exotic, yet also innocent and virtually juvenile woman. Those pulp novellas were full of male and female fantasy. Love, chemistry, relationships, the human condition were themes explored in pulp stories. It takes a deft touch to translate that to the screen. Would Pulp Fiction be less of a movie if MdM’s performance was left on the cutting room floor and Butch was a lone wolf? I think MdM was a distraction. Tarantino made an awesome and entertaining movie and I guess I won’t be hearing from him for any casting advice.

Top Bottom