What's new

Plisson - Worth the cost?

So, how do Plissons measure up to other popular brushes (Rooney, Shavemac, Simpson, etc.) for feel and quality? Are they really worth the extra dosh? How do they compare in stiffness, softness, scrubbiness, scritchiness?

Not that I'll be in the market for one any time soon ... :rolleyes:

I've had 6 Plisson's from the grey to the HMW - and the short answer is no. They're nice, and they're different, but they're wildly overpriced.

I have a couple of Rooney Finest and a couple of Plisson HMW. If I had to choose one I would choose one of the Rooneys. The Plisson is more elegant, the Rooney feels better.

my 2 (hey where is the cents key?)

I know a guy that has a bunch of them, but I can't imagine spending that kinda coin on a brush... but I remember a time where i wouldn't dare spend $800 on a razor either :frown:

I consider my #16 HMW two-band with horn handle to be one of the best brushes I've ever used, and for that reason I feel it is worth the money. In truth, I like my pre-Vulfix Simpson CH2 two-band slightly better, but that's a moot point now, since those brushes aren't being made any more. The Vulfix-made CH2 I just bought is good, but it is not up to the old Simpson standard, in my opinion, and that makes my Plisson look that much better. It has a perfect shape, ideal dimensions, excellent face feel (blending of softness with resiliency), and is gorgeous to boot. In addition, it has never shed a single hair, which I cannot say about any Simpson brush I own. So, since I can't recapture the glory of old Simpsons, my next brush will likely be a replacement for my #16, which hopefully will be years down the road yet.

On the flip side, I also have a #18 HMW two-band horn that I can't stand. It's gorgeous, well-made, perfectly shaped, yadda yadda. But it's floppy as hell, and it has no muscle whatsoever. It's really bizarre, since it's only the next size up from a #16, but whereas the 16 is nice and compact, the 18 is enormous and does not have the right ratio of knot diameter to loft to keep it stiff enough. So that one was definitely NOT worth the coin, at least for me. The lesson here is that part of whether or not a Plisson (or any brand of brush, really) is worth the money is if the specific size and style of the brush you're getting is right for you.

Another caveat that is worth mentioning is unfortunate: the High Mountain White grade does not guarantee two-band hair. If you want it to be two-band, you need to contact whichever vendor you buy from to ensure that that is what you'll get. If you just buy blindly, you're taking your chances. I say that's unfortunate, because there was a time when, if you ordered HMW, you got two-band; that's just the way it was. Those times appear to be over.

Last edited:
I haven't owned a Plisson or had the opportunity to lather with one. I have, however, felt and handled more than one. They are very nice to be sure, but I don't think I could justify dropping the extra coin to have one. I certainly wouldn't turn it down if one was given to me, but I just don't see parting with a car payment for a shaving brush.

Plisson appears to be flourishing, so by any accepted definition they are not overpricing their products - people are buying them in substantial quantities. Even the few real ivory ones are selling.

I have a horn and an acrylic size 12 HMW. One is 2-band, one is 3-band, I reviewed them back to back a year or so ago on B&B. They are both outstanding brushes and I always enjoy using them. The differences between them and the competition is quite marginal - Rooney finest brushes are fan-shaped and Plissons are lightbulb. As a practical matter most $35 brushes will produce equally good lather.

While no bargain, I consider them to be worth the price I paid. In a purely objective sense, it is ridiculous to pay almost $400 for any shaving brush, but this is not about purely objective thinking.

There is no logical, rational way to justify the expense of a Plisson. You either want one or you don't and there are excellent arguments on both sides. I liken this to another hobby of mine which is smoking a pipe. A pipe costing less than $100 will burn tobacco in a nice fashion and will bring pleasure to the smoker. However, for some people a high grade pipe just has something extra. The construction is often better, the materials used are often of a higher caliber, and often times the pipes are as much a work of art rather than just being a functional instrument for burning leaf. These extra qualities have value to me and I can spend hours just looking at their beauty which adds another dimension to my enjoyment of smoking them. High grade pipes range in price from hundreds of dollars to thousands of dollars and there is no way to justify them on purely functional criteria. However, to me they are worth the added expense because of the extra enjoyment I receive from owning them. Each pipe has its own individual grain and is a one of a kind piece that can never be duplicated. They are truly works of art that combine the uniqueness of mother nature with the skilled hands of a gifted craftsman/artist.

I think horn HMW Plisson brushes fall into this same kind of category. Functionally, one can find a very serviceable brush for far less money. However, there is something special about certain Plissons, especially some of the two-band horn handled HMWs. The materials used are top quality and the craftsmanship adds to their appeal for me. Many of the horn handled examples I've seen are truly works of art and like briar grain on a pipe, each is a one of a kind piece from nature that can never be duplicated. Personally, I derive great pleasure from using these unique works of art and from knowing that I am the only person who has one exactly like it. To me, this is an added value to ownership that makes them even that much more special. Additionally, my 2 two-band HMW #16s and my two-band HMW #12 are my three favorite brushes in a collection of 20. They define performance for what it is I want in a shaving brush with a special combination of softness and backbone.

The choice to make such a purchase is a very individual decision. For some, such a purchase is easily justified. For others, this is an extravagance that makes no sense due to other priorities. Both groups have valid and justifiable arguments. All I know is that every day I look at my horn HMWs I feel I made the right decision to purchase them and I receive great value from having them in my collection.

Attached is a photo of my favorite brush, a #16.

Last edited:
Yes, they are expensive, and they're not going to win any dollar for dollar competitions, but my HMW size 12 is the best latherer I have had. Excellent flow through, and looks damn nice on the shelf as well.

That being said, I think Rooney makes just as nice of a brush, mine have just been better at face lathering, and soap duty.

I own two, both horn handled two banded HMW, one in size 16 and the other a 14. The 16 is the nicest brush I have ever owned. Its not only great to look at it, it has the right amount of density, backbone and just works great. I bought the 14 as it's handle was a close match to the 16 but it's a much different brush. Much more flexible, not as dense. I was at first really disappointed in this brush but it makes wonderful lather and I have come to like it quite a bit. As for price, I was able to get the 16 when AOS had their big sale and so I consider that one somewhat of a bargain. Unfortunately I paid full price for the 14 and ended up not liking it as much. I doubt I will buy another Plisson. If I did it would be a size 12 HMW but I doubt I will spend the money on another one, not knowing for sure what I would end up with. The Simpson two banded brushes are in my opinion simply the best value available in a high end brush. I have two of the Simpsons and have another one to give to my son for his birthday. Great brushes at a much more reasonable price. That said, I still consider my Plisson 16 the ultimate brush for me.

Last edited:
I knew that I could count on Stephen to jump in here to defend them... and I foresaw the pipe comparison too... Scary how well I know you :tongue_sm

I have a Simpson Super and a Rooney Finest and a Plisson HMW and though the Plisson is the best performing of the lot the degree is not worth the extra money and I don't think the fit and finish is any better than the other two. That's my opinion.

The 16 is the nicest brush I have ever owned. [...] I still consider my Plisson 16 the ultimate brush for me.

It sounds like we both feel the #16 hits the sweet spot for us. I also find it interesting that both of us found going one size away from it (18 for me, 14 for you) resulted in a brush of considerably different characteristics, not just size. I am curious, though, why do you say you won't buy another Plisson, if the 16 is your "ultimate brush"? Does that pronouncement preclude buying another 16 at some point as a replacement for your current one?

There is no logical, rational way to justify the expense of a Plisson. You either want one or you don't and there are excellent arguments on both sides. I liken this to another hobby of mine which is smoking a pipe. A pipe costing less than $100 will burn tobacco in a nice fashion and will bring pleasure to the smoker. However, for some people a high grade pipe just has something extra. The construction is often better, the materials used are often of a higher caliber, and often times the pipes are as much a work of art rather than just being a functional instrument for burning leaf. These extra qualities have value to me and I can spend hours just looking at their beauty which adds another dimension to my enjoyment of smoking them. High grade pipes range in price from hundreds of dollars to thousands of dollars and there is no way to justify them on purely functional criteria. However, to me they are worth the added expense because of the extra enjoyment I receive from owning them. Each pipe has its own individual grain and is a one of a kind piece that can never be duplicated. They are truly works of art that combine the uniqueness of mother nature with the skilled hands of a gifted craftsman/artist.

I think horn HMW Plisson brushes fall into this same kind of category. Functionally, one can find a very serviceable brush for far less money. However, there is something special about certain Plissons, especially some of the two-band horn handled HMWs. The materials used are top quality and the craftsmanship adds to their appeal for me. Many of the horn handled examples I've seen are truly works of art and like briar grain on a pipe, each is a one of a kind piece from nature that can never be duplicated. Personally, I derive great pleasure from using these unique works of art and from knowing that I am the only person who has one exactly like it. To me, this is an added value to ownership that makes them even that much more special. Additionally, my 2 two-band HMW #16s and my two-band HMW #12 are my three favorite brushes in a collection of 20. They define performance for what it is I want in a shaving brush with a special combination of softness and backbone.

The choice to make such a purchase is a very individual decision. For some, such a purchase is easily justified. For others, this is an extravagance that makes no sense due to other priorities. Both groups have valid and justifiable arguments. All I know is that every day I look at my horn HMWs I feel I made the right decision to purchase them and I receive great value from having them in my collection.

Attached is a photo of my favorite brush, a #16.

Absolutely spot on....!

Although I could afford a Plisson (for a special occasion) I just don't see anything in their line that justifies their rather astonishing prices.

Many of them are use the most generic handle shape in the shaving world. Fancy woods, horn, plastic - that's all very well, but why make them using the same handle shape that nearly every other maker includes in their lineup?

full

Plain Vanilla.

The lucite handles look amazing and original, although they don't appear to be very ergonomic. Plus, for some unfathomable reason, they cost about ONE MILLION DOLLARS apiece. I do like the brass handled ones, but I would probably find them too heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom