What's new

Plisson synthetic arrived from France.finally

After taking forever and a day to ship, my Plisson fiber synthetic took the actual trip across the Atlantic pretty quickly, and it landed today.

My god this thing is gorgeous. My crappy photo doesn't do it justice. Deep, varied colors on the the resin handle...just a beautiful horn pattern. Compared to the Cade brush, it is noticeably heavier. It's a little less dense too. And curiously, a bit softer. At first I thought I was crazy, but after feeling it 3 and 4 times with the Cade brush, it is slightly softer. I don't know why that would be (maybe the difference in density?) but there you go.

I'm a happy camper. It was worth the splurge.

proxy.php

Wow...that is one of the nicest looking resin horn imitation handles I have ever seen! Very, very nice. Let us know how it performs for you once you've taken it for a spin or two. Might take some getting used to! It's not the same as a badger but has it's own positives and will feel different for sure.

Yeah, the picture on the website showed a pretty standard horn resin, so I was blown away when I opened the box. They even went as far as imitating the lighter-colored "circle" you see on the bottom of real horn handles (the center of the horn, I guess?)

I had the newer Cade version (with the L'Occitane name on it) and thought that it, too, was a tad softer than the original. But I didn't detect any difference in lather production, etc. The horn was was of the two new factory models I was considering, and yours is stellar.

i got faux ivory. i can't say it is softer. pretty close. perhaps manufacturing differences. notice all real plisson brushes have a gold decal. cade has silver. my resin is heavier too. i think that is just because it is a heavier material. i would like to know if it is solid but in am not pulling the knot. they are both fine but i like resin better than wood. however that came at a steep premium.

oh, edit. that looks crazy good!

Last edited:
I can't get over how soft this brush is. Or how it effortlessly moves around on the face. If this is truly a generation 3 fiber, why haven't more companies used this hair?

Edit: Here's the bottom of the handle:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Kevan, thanks a bunch for all of the pictures! I am very happy for you as I have found this is my favorite brush no matter what type of hair. I was definitely interested when they released the different style handles and hopefully Plisson was easy to deal with. Would you mind publicly or privately via pm mentioning about how much it cost to get it to you?

Congrats and treat the horn nicely. Glad to hear how soft it is for you.

Gentlemen, I too received my shipment today from France.
I concur with Kevan ... this is one outstanding brush ... and the imitation horn is the most exquisite I've ever seen ... wow!

Plisson synthetic in acetate

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wow Ravi!!! Talk about triple trouble! Those are beauts!

By chance, do you have a Plisson L'Occitane Cade brush for comparison? I know the dimensions are the same, but is the actual feel the same/similar?

Wow Ravi!!! Talk about triple trouble! Those are beauts!

By chance, do you have a Plisson L'Occitane Cade brush for comparison? I know the dimensions are the same, but is the actual feel the same/similar?

Thank you.

I do not have the Plisson L'Occitane Cade brush ... so I cannot compare.

Blue box looks B@#Hin'! Agravic, congrats to you as well. Now would it be too much to ask if they supply the matching brush stand in the wonderfu horn?! :w00t:

Mike, the Plisson version is slightly less dense than the Cade brush, and it is slightly softer. I don't know why, because it shouldn't be softer since they use the same fiber, but it is. Maybe the density difference has something to do with that.

Ravi, I think your horn resin looks better than mine! That thing is stunning!

you know what? I am going to go out on a limb here....and call these gen 5! we established they have the attributes of 3 but bring things to the table even 4 does not. we had previously discussed they defy generations. I know people are going to get foofoo if I call it 5 but seriously folks. "in a class by itself" is not a number lol.

I am so glad I did not contribute to the demise of another badger and elephant yet. the faux ivory looks the part. um, I think I am ordering the horn right now! dang these are sweet.

you know what? I am going to go out on a limb here....and call these gen 5! we established they have the attributes of 3 but bring things to the table even 4 does not. we had previously discussed they defy generations. I know people are going to get foofoo if I call it 5 but seriously folks. "in a class by itself" is not a number lol.

I am so glad I did not contribute to the demise of another badger and elephant yet. the faux ivory looks the part. um, I think I am ordering the horn right now! dang these are sweet.

Generation simply refers to type of fiber, and has only been used as a shorthand to help compare brushes, not judge or evaluate them. It has nothing to do with the implementation of the fibers in a particular model of brush, as synthetic brushes of identical generation do not necessarily perform or feel the same.

The fact that Plisson has managed to a use comparatively older synthetic bristle technology with such excellent results is a testament to good engineering, not a reason to discard otherwise valuable terminology.

As a point of interest, note that Simpsons at first tried to call their Chubby 2 synthetic a "Generation 5" brush for marketing purposes, although it was simply their chosen implementation of what appears to be a Gen 4 knot. The response was so negative that Simpsons quickly changed the description of the brush.

Gentlemen, I too received my shipment today from France.
I concur with Kevan ... this is one outstanding brush ... and the imitation horn is the most exquisite I've ever seen ... wow!

Plisson synthetic in acetate

Ravi,

All three brushes are very handsome! However, you only have one face. :001_tt2:

Also, given Kevan's description of his brush as softer and less dense, I'm now very curious if there is any demonstrable difference in feel or performance between the regular Plissons and the Cade.

Mike, the Plisson version is slightly less dense than the Cade brush, and it is slightly softer. I don't know why, because it shouldn't be softer since they use the same fiber, but it is. Maybe the density difference has something to do with that.

Ravi, I think your horn resin looks better than mine! That thing is stunning!

Thanks Kevan for the follow-up comparison. The Cade brush is the softest brush that I have ever felt...it is hard to imagine one even softer.

Top Bottom